Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

Guess I am being skeptical. If those are the true mileages then I would think they are a good deal.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

I had to pull the pan off and it was really clean in there. It was the same engine as the video on their site. It fires up immediately and idles buttery smooth even in freezing weather. I'm not shilling for them, but my experience was good. YMMV

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6td to tdi swap questions Reply with quote

[quote="ALIKA T3"]
ndorian wrote:
syncroanddestroy wrote:
AHU will be easiest, everything is interchangeable unless it was a longitudinal engine out of a passat, then you'll need to fabricate engine mounts.

Any chance these mounts are available from the aftermarket?

Just the right side mount will be needed. You can buy the mount from Germany or an adapter plate. Look up tdi umbau halter, that'll bring up stuff on your search results.

Interesting. I didn't know this. I think this is the problem I encountered on my first AHU swap. I had to, ummm, improvise.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

Luckly for me I didn't have to live with that set up too long as it was an overpriced bum engine I got from an even bigger bum of a seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

Some countries have strange laws concerning old engines in cars. Engines from sale from Japan are often scrapped with as little as 36000 miles or so due to emissions laws or some such legal stuff. Maybe the same is true of Germany.

Last edited by dieseltdi on Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

Hey Popaled since you a text about the AAZ parts. Hayden
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Some countries have strange laws concerning old engines in cars. Engines from sale from Japan are often scrapped with as little as 36000 miles or so due to emissions laws or some such legal stuff. Maybe the same is true of Germany.

They have the EuroX to follow , but you can buy a catalytic converter to get your green sticker basically.
They were plentiful out there in Europe, so I guess you can be picky about which ones to buy, but junkyards always lie about mileage anyway. It's always been 120,000 km for a fairly clean engine, 80,000km for a super clean engine, 150,000 and up it starts to be dirty. When you see north of 200K the guy is honest Laughing In the end it's always the lottery and how it got maintained. If an Audi/Passat block, they don't like frontal collision being longitudinal engines Confused
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1989 Doka 16 syncro 1.6TD to TDI swap questions Reply with quote

I just converted my 1.6 CS motored single cab to a 1Z out of a 96 Passat. I went with a M-Tdi pump that Karl @ Westyventures helped me out sourcing ( he was out of stock at the time). Everything was a direct swap over, except for the water outlet on the side of the cylinder head, which the bolt holes were "clocked" different. I used JX manifolds, although I welded the intake ports and shaped them to the TDI shape ( D shape VS oval ). Didn't know if I needed to, but did it anyway. I also drilled and tapped the oil filter housing for turbo feed line as I didn't have a JX one and the CS was different. The TDI fed oil to the turbo from from the back of the head where the oil pressure sender goes on the CS. Exhaust was custom made, because I wanted to use 2-1/2 tubing....
Over all an easy swap.
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: