Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I've read as much of this sticky as I can stand and I've done research elsewhere and the issue seems to be that recommended tires come and go so quickly. Does anyone know anything about Thunderer? Are they Chinese knockoffs?

https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tireSize=185-r...owQAvD_BwE

Mark
95 Saab 900 Vert
01 H-D Sportster Hammer 1275
03 Yamaha FZ1
05 Saab 9-3 ARC 2.0T Vert, Lime Yellow
09 Saab 9-3 AERO 2.8T Vert
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

mtolleson wrote:
I've read as much of this sticky as I can stand and I've done research elsewhere and the issue seems to be that recommended tires come and go so quickly. Does anyone know anything about Thunderer? Are they Chinese knockoffs?

Mark

These are pretty popular and should work fine for you. Yes, they are made in China. Not really a knock-off of anything, just a Chinese made tire.
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Truth be known I've had good luck with Chinese tires. If there's a problem with a brand you can usually find out from reviews and forums.

Thanks,

Mark
cdennisg wrote:
mtolleson wrote:

Mark

These are pretty popular and should work fine for you. Yes, they are made in China. Not really a knock-off of anything, just a Chinese made tire.

95 Saab 900 Vert
01 H-D Sportster Hammer 1275
03 Yamaha FZ1
05 Saab 9-3 ARC 2.0T Vert, Lime Yellow
09 Saab 9-3 AERO 2.8T Vert
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
subliminaldood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I guess tires are the next victim of "supply chain - a - geddon"

Just noticed that the Hankook RA18 in 195R14 (106R 8 ply) that I paid $97 for one year ago on Amazon is now $140.00 per copy.

I think I'll just wait this out.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^^ keep looking. I just received a set of 5 from Walmart online for just under $400 delivered.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I got Hankook RA18s at Discount Tire this week. Guy told me that it was being discontinued. Im not sure if it was the specific size, the tire line or if he’s even correct, but thought I’d pass it on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I'm about to order a set of General Grabbers but have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

I've always bought load range "D" and looks like these are only Load range "C". Is this what all you Grabbers guys are running? Is this the metric equivalent of "D"?

Looks like best price is Amazon, less than Tire Rack or eBay. Thanks!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
I'm about to order a set of General Grabbers but have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

I've always bought load range "D" and looks like these are only Load range "C". Is this what all you Grabbers guys are running? Is this the metric equivalent of "D"?

Yes, the 27x8.5 General Grabber ATX tires are load range C.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
brandt wrote:

Yes, the 27x8.5 General Grabber ATX tires are load range C.

And they work just fine for a bus. Not quite a "d" equivalent for load rating, but much better than a passenger car tire in the same size.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I’ve had passenger tires, Hankook RA08 and Hankook RA18 on buses before. The Grabber is definitely a superior tire in all conditions.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sallittjob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

This might have been asked already so forgive me. I just finished the rebuild on my 75 1.8 motor and need to get a new set of shoes for spring time. I really like the idea of the General grabbers and was wondering if the larger 27 x 8.5 tire will fit on the nose of the bus as a spare? For some reason I feel like I read that the larger tire doesn't fit, but maybe that was in reference to people mounting the spare inside the bus.

Also, I have the stock 5 rib. I'm really happy with the torque I have now that the engine is in 100% working condition again. For people that run the Grabbers (or a 27x8.5R14 tire); is there much real world difference I should be concerned about? I don't want to push my setup too hard on steep hills and long highway grades but I also love the look of the A/T tires and taller stance.

Thanks all

71' Super Beetle
1968cc DP

73' 412 Sedan
1679cc FI

75' Westy
1800cc FI
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

My concern with that tire on the nose would be the weight. That’s a lot of heavy rubber being jolted (yes I know it’s bolted) up and down while driving. It wouldn’t hurt to measure but I imagine diameter wise the tire would fit up there just fine.

I never noticed any lack of performance with that tire mounted on various buses. A little taller, so the tire will rotate less revolutions per mile, which can be a good thing to go faster while keeping the rpm’s down. Shouldn’t see any fuss with a healthy engine.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

No issues with the tires on the bus or on the nose. Since the tire is larger and I don’t know what mount you have. The only thing I could think may be an issues is the stud length of the tire mount. You may need to extend the studs on the mount to fit the larger tire.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
P24p1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience putting General Grabbers on a 1700cc engine? I'd like to put 27" diameter tires but I don't know how much stress that would put on the engine, if any.

What rust?

Rev it - don't lug it!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I don’t think they will put and additional stress on your engine. I run a slightly larger engine then you, but I get the same MPG with them as I did when I used the 195 Hankooks. I found that the Grabbers offer a much better ride then the Hankooks both on and off road.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Better tire my opinion than the Hankook and surprisingly cheaper right now than the RA18’s, so…

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The downside to vans getting bigger and bigger wheels in the US, I guess - less options for the older vehicles with smaller wheels.

For instance, in the UK, in 185R14C with a 102/100 load rating and 8pr, you can get tires from:

Uniroyal
Goodyear
Continental
Hankook
Bridgestone
Toyo
Kumho
General
Semperit
Nexen
GT
Maxxis
Firestone
Yokohama
BF Goodrich

plus all the "lesser" brands.
hermanbenji
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these? Hankook Vantra LT 195R14 Load D 8 Ply Commercial Tire

Im specifically interested in road noise.
and what does the extra 10 mm on the 195s get you compaired to the 185s?

Thanks
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

hermanbenji wrote:
Has anyone tried these? Hankook Vantra LT 195R14 Load D 8 Ply Commercial Tire

Im specifically interested in road noise.
and what does the extra 10 mm on the 195s get you compaired to the 185s?

Thanks

I have the 185s and would say they are pretty quiet. At least, I noticed a big difference in noise when I went from the General Grabbers AT to the Vantra tires.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
girvine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Apologies if it has already been discussed, but I didn't find anything in a search. Does anyone have experience using a 215/65/16 on our Bays?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles-and-kits/3...enders-?v=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 191 of 198

Jump to: