Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official 1965 Bug Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

I watched a very nice example of a '65 Deluxe, albeit not 100% factory-restored, bring some healthy money this afternoon:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-...2022-01-10
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

cruiser wrote:
I watched a very nice example of a '65 Deluxe, albeit not 100% factory-restored, bring some healthy money this afternoon:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-volkswagen-...2022-01-10

I saw that car and followed the auction. I wonder how much that car would get dinged for points at an old VVCA or AACA event? Wink Hope the buyer knows that.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw that car and followed the auction. I wonder how much that car would get dinged for points at an old VVCA or AACA event? Wink Hope the buyer knows that.

What would it get dinged for? Not the incorrect bumper bracket color? The lack of fuse panel cover? Incorrect door panels and seat vinyl? Lack of engine tarboard? The carpet/rubber mats? Missing horn grill block off? Exhaust tips? Missing electrical rubber tubes and seals? Headlight drain tubes and rubber? Glove box pull? Wink But it is a really nice car though. It’s kinda like one of those kids puzzles where you find all the things wrong in the photo but everything is very subtle.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Quote:

What would it get dinged for? Not the incorrect bumper bracket color? The lack of fuse panel cover? Incorrect door panels and seat vinyl? Lack of engine tarboard? The carpet/rubber mats? Missing horn grill block off? Exhaust tips? Missing electrical rubber tubes and seals? Headlight drain tubes and rubber? Glove box pull? Wink But it is a really nice car though. It’s kinda like one of those kids puzzles where you find all the things wrong in the photo but everything is very subtle.

You missed the black plastic plugs and the black door hinge screws.
for 37K it should be right!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

very nice 65. bahama blue... great color. but as Aiden said, too many of the small details missing. or major in the eyes of a purist. stil a nice car tho.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My '65 with just over 11k documented miles on the clock when I got it. Very interesting history and provenance. I purchased it from Jan Brundage (son of Hubert Brundage of Brundage VW and Porsche Jacksonville, FL, now Brumos.) It was a unique car with European bits on a US spec car. Being a VW dealership, they added 6-volt VW specific AC. Also being a Porsche dealership, they put Lemmerz Porsche 365 chrome wheels on it. It was originally titled to Mrs. Brundage (Jan's mom). I'll link an old thread about my literal "barn find" in desolate S. GA just a few miles north of the FL line. There was a white 356 parked by it, perpendicular, and obscured by the soda machine. Such a fascinating history on this little car and so glad I was able finally talk to Jan after owning the car for over 15 years. The car's sale was handled by an intermediary friend of Jan's. But I got a wild hair several years ago and tracked him down. Reached out via email and he called me. Wonderful discussion of the car and all things Hubert Brundage, Max Hoffman, Brundage Motors and also Brumos. '65 may be a boring year, but this little car's history is anything but boring! Very Happy

Lots of pics in my gallery.

The first pic I ever saw in a Samba ad. I fell in love!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look closely in the upper left. Can you see the Porsche 356?

A thread about my "barn find" '65
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

To add to my post above, here's the A/C. The system is 100% complete. The knob under the radio is the fader switch for the optional second speaker mounted under the rear window. The gauge to the left of the steering column is a VDO oil temperature gauge with a dipstick sending unit. Given the added AC, it was important to keep an eye on the engine temperature. All this was done in 1965 and I have the notes/invoices when it was done.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Wow! That’s an awesome original 65! That poor engine Shocked I wouldn’t want to go up a hill in that with the AC on for sure Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
Wow! That’s an awesome original 65! That poor engine Shocked I wouldn’t want to go up a hill in that with the AC on for sure Laughing

It probably steals at least 6 HP Laughing ! But in the flatlands of FL near sea level, the conditions are optimal. Going through the mountain passes of the Sierra Nevadas... HUGE difference Razz

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

It probably steals at least 6 HP Laughing ! But in the flatlands of FL near sea level, the conditions are optimal. Going through the mountain passes of the Sierra Nevadas... HUGE difference Razz

Sweet Baby Jesus thats a magnificent car! Yeah, Florida is FLAT. And HUMID in most areas which helps cool air absorb more heat flowing over the cylinders and heads, thankfully. Otherwise i dont think most vdubs would make it during the summer or spring.

Again, thats a wonderful '65!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

Sweet Baby Jesus thats a magnificent car! Yeah, Florida is FLAT. And HUMID in most areas which helps cool air absorb more heat flowing over the cylinders and heads, thankfully. Otherwise i dont think most vdubs would make it during the summer or spring.

If you believe that adding humidity gets you more power because the air is denser – why not use 100% water…it's really dense! All the moisture does is take up space that could contain oxygen – therefore the power will drop off as humidity goes up.

Also – if you have ever piloted especially an air-cooled engine airplane you will know about humidity and temperature….it's important! And we have charts for settings.

Real vaporization of water does not take place in the intake manifold – if it did it would further decrease the space for oxygen – water will vaporize in the combustion chamber as the intake charge is compressed (heat goes up a lot during compression).

As far as intake temps – the colder and drier the better.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

If you believe that adding humidity gets you more power because the air is denser – why not use 100% water…it's really dense! All the moisture does is take up space that could contain oxygen – therefore the power will drop off as humidity goes up.

Also – if you have ever piloted especially an air-cooled engine airplane you will know about humidity and temperature….it's important! And we have charts for settings.

Real vaporization of water does not take place in the intake manifold – if it did it would further decrease the space for oxygen – water will vaporize in the combustion chamber as the intake charge is compressed (heat goes up a lot during compression).

There's a disconnect here. Chickensoup was referring to air flow over the cylinder heads, and not into the carb throat. I have no skin in the game here, but I have flown small airplanes. YES, humidity is a HUGE issue that affects carb performance (hence the carb heaters!), even on warm days. But although I cannot attest to the enthalpic effect on airflow over cylinder cans, and the effect on carb intake is notable, I think two different thoughts were operating in these two different posts Wink

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:

There's a disconnect here. Chickensoup was referring to air flow over the cylinder heads, and not into the carb throat. I have no skin in the game here, but I have flown small airplanes. YES, humidity is a HUGE issue that affects carb performance (hence the carb heaters!), even on warm days. But although I cannot attest to the enthalpic effect on airflow over cylinder cans, and the effect on carb intake is notable, I think two different thoughts were operating in these two different posts Wink

thanks for clarifying here. Yes, i was referring to the humid air flowing over the cylinder and head fins.

Although, water in the combustion chamber does indeed help regulate temps and increase power output in most cases. Hense, why my 2180 will have water injection.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Originally shipped from Germany to Chicago then moved to California in the 60s until 2002 when it came to Tennessee . WAs off of the roads since 2012 when I bought it two years ago.

smeag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Cleaned up very nice
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Brought this sunroof sedan home yesterday, I’m looking forward to messing with it. I’m more of a Bus guy, haven’t had a Beetle in over a decade.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

highwheelerboy22, WOW that car cleaned up nicely. Good looking ride!

I always liked ruby red cars in stock form. Looks great '64cal lookdub
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
dcheek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

My Bahama Blue '65
Original Paint and interior
41,000 miles

1966 Westy
1976 914 2.0
1989 911 Carrera
1981 Diesel Rabbit Pick Up
1982 Diesel Vanagon
2014 Golf (last year German mfr for NA)
2019 Jetta Gli, 35th Anniversary Edition, 6 speed
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Nothing is original. Just a daily driver/beater. Wink
jkersting
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Official 1965 Bug Registry Reply with quote

Just got this little 65! I'm off to a rough start. Poor thing was shipped in a blizzard. First quick drive and the master cylinder decided to blow and then the stupid chrome hood handle guard sliced my finger open. Hmmm. I still love her. She had the original owner for 54 years!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: