Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 transaxle rebuild
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustybug1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

How hard is it to teardown and rebuild a IRS transaxle in a standard Bug? I want to get the Timco guide and rebuild my own, are there a lot of special tools needed to do a proper job?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

Doing it for the first time, I'd say 60% chance of success.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

I lucked out my first couple of tries..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758907&highlight=dummy

What’s That Noise?!?
rustybug1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

modok wrote:

How much does that increase if I'm a career automotive technician?🤣🤣
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

rustybug1990 wrote:
modok wrote:

How much does that increase if I'm a career automotive technician?🤣🤣

How many manual transmissions/diffs(other makes) have you built ? If you've got a bit of experience with gearboxes in general ,then it's not that hard . I had prior experience with Toyota 4WD boxes , it helped a lot .
I also got hold of "Long Enterprises" tutorial on CD . It was very helpful .
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

With yours being a 1973 it takes a special socket for the 80mm pinion nut which cost around $250-270 for the good one. There cheaper ones, how good they work on a nut torqued to 160lbs is a guess.
You can make some of the tools. A jig can be made with another trans case like what you have that been cut up to be able to adjust the shift forks.
They are not like any Japanese trans where shift forks use roll pins to hold them to shift rails.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

I changed a stripped reverse gear in my 73 tranny, the pinion nut tool and reverse gear cost more than the tranny itself haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybug1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
With yours being a 1973 it takes a special socket for the 80mm pinion nut which cost around $250-270 for the good one. There cheaper ones, how good they work on a nut torqued to 160lbs is a guess.
You can make some of the tools. A jig can be made with another trans case like what you have that been cut up to be able to adjust the shift forks.
They are not like any Japanese trans where shift forks use roll pins to hold them to shift rails.

Hmmmmmm, I could maybe make that tool, not sure if it's worth it though, I'll do more research
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

rustybug1990 wrote:
jsturtlebuggy wrote:

Hmmmmmm, I could maybe make that tool, not sure if it's worth it though, I'll do more research

The socket is very specific
https://www.appletreeauto.com/pinion-nut-tool-for-...fDEALw_wcB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustybug1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
rustybug1990 wrote:
jsturtlebuggy wrote:

The socket is very specific
https://www.appletreeauto.com/pinion-nut-tool-for-...fDEALw_wcB

That's a pricey piece, what is the torque on that nut out of curiosity? I'm going to google it as well.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

Torque on pinion nut is a 160 ft lbs, takes more then that to loosen it if someone has used Loctite.
Socket has cut out on it to clear reverse idler gear.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

IIRC Samstag Sales has the pinion nut socket for a lot cheaper..

What’s That Noise?!?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

You have to wonder why 80mm socket is selling for less then half the price other ones are selling for.
I see it is made in Serbia. Anyone have other tools made there and what is the quality is?
Motion Tire Motorsports
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

If it was just broached like a socket it could be cheaper but that means you need a pretty special broach setup, I'd think most are machined the slow way because the quantities aren't enough to justify making special dies and broaches.

The tool makes sense if you are a transmission factory.... with the same machinery that cuts sliders, gears, and hubs, can make that tool too, but your average tool company does not have those machines.

I've been told in the old days techs would cut the pinion retaining nut to get it off easy and use a new one each time.
So staking it and/or glueing it in place was no big deal, and easier on the special socket.

Years ago I attempted to take one unit apart and it would just spin, the whole bearing would spin.
Probably strange/wrong combination of parts causing that to happen, (very "custom" trans) but even so I really wondered how that was even supposed to work, and when I asked......
That was the answer, just cut it off and get a new one.
but what if they don't have any new ones?
Probably don't need to know that but I guess the point is..... there is more than one way to do it, but you have to find your own way.
Live or die by your parts suppliers, and I'm sure with transmissions it is the same way or worse.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

I was able to use a universal and my 1/2” impact and it came off pretty easy
rustybug1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:

I'm assuming with the required socket right?
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73 transaxle rebuild Reply with quote

rustybug1990 wrote:
vugbug68 wrote:

I'm assuming with the required socket right?

Yes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: