Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To overhaul or not to overhaul?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: To overhaul or not to overhaul? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
joemama wrote:
The distributor dog normally has a lot of play, its designed that way. I wouldnt mess with it.

X2 someone told me if you mess with it you’ll go to hell

Or at least go blind.
AlexTheBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: To overhaul or not to overhaul? Reply with quote

Following up! After taking some time to save money and get through the holidays, I've finally made some progress on my little bug. Here's what I got done this week:
    -replaced my worn distributor clamp
    -replaced my cheap points and condenser with new Bosh parts
    -checked points gap -- lookin' good!
    -reinstalled the distributor and confirmed it was properly seated
    -Changed my oil -- nothing weird came out
    -Adjusted my valves
    -Charged my battery

It started! Of course, she died immediately upon idle at first -- not surprising after 4-ish months of sitting, not to mention that she's only been static timed at this point. I advanced the distributor just a bit to give her a little more umph. Then, I started her again and kept my foot on the gas for a couple minutes to warm her up.

She did fine, but after turning her off and returning to the engine, I discovered that the fuel line between the fuel pump and my plastic fuel filter was wet with fuel. The fuel filter was full, and fuel seemed to be dripping from the connection between the line and the bottom of the filter.

Clearly I got lucky I didn't start a fire!

I found this post which seems to have a solid explanation (see the reply from drscope):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-303850--.html

As I think back, I remember noticing that my old fuel filter was overfilled just before she died a few months ago.

It sounds like I need to do some work on my carb -- Check my needle valve; Confirm float level is at the correct height; check tuning. Of course, I also need to time her with my strobe gun.

Anything else I should consider? Where should I start? I've also been thinking about giving my carb a deep clean. Thoughts?
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: To overhaul or not to overhaul? Reply with quote

If you haven't renewed all the rubber fuel hose in the last 4 years do it now.
Make sure to get ethanol resistant tubing and have good fuel hose clamps at each join.
It's not expensive but will greatly reduce risk of 🔥.

Carb adjustments are the very last thing you touch and only after everything else is perfect.
Assuming you have a stock engine, exhaust, manifold, correct carb and good electrics.

Now might be a good time to drain the fuel tank and blow through all the fuel lines with compressed air to clean out any debris, rust etc.

Carb tuning is best done on a clean engine,that is already up and running, driven a few miles to be fully warmed up. I find a vacuum gauge is the best way to tune to max. vacuum at idle at 850-900 rpm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: