Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we agree.
It's not the spare tire orientation.
It's not the windshield.
It's not the dash.
It's not the vented front nose.

If you got struts and a fatty hood, then you got a Super.

Lock it.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking, my spare is only upright like that cos of my A/C condenser and radiator.

But you pretty much got it except the spare tyre part

If its got coil over struts it's a superbeetle. End Of Story.

All strut bugs have the wide hood and spare lays down flat due to the suspension layout.
mnussbau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotrat wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CLEARLY, that's a super. Wink Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Yawn....

Glenn,
You have a lot of wise advice...but this may be your best comment yet! Laughing

18 pages.... and hopefully not many more!
koenig blues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: great threth Reply with quote

thanks Glenn now i know what i am dealing with after a bloody half year debate to determine is it a super nor a beetle.. now i learn my beetle is a 1973 beetle Wink

before

does the badge correct??

after

i think i have a wrong bumper Sad

many thanks for the knowledge and cheer everyone Very Happy
FabFour72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

I thought the big taillights were an indication of a Super. Did regular Beetles have them also?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

FabFour72 wrote:
I thought the big taillights were an indication of a Super. Did regular Beetles have them also?

Sure did.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

Many an untrained eye might think Glenn's car is a Super, but is, in fact, a very fine example of a late(r) model standard. When I first decided to get into Beetles in the early 90s, having come for the watercooled side, I had no idea of the difference. Doesn't take long to figure out, however. I have seen many Supers without the "grill" under the front bumper, and the spare laying flat in the trunk seems like an obvious give away(though Joel showed how that could be misinterpreted), the bottom line is, if the car has struts in the front(and no dual trailing arms...there are standard Beetles with coil over shocks), it is a Super Beetle (or 1302, 1303, L bug....etc)

H2OSB
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

And sometimes you see a super with small tail lights

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FabFour72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies yall. Saturday, my lucky butt, trying to no talk my native lingo here, will be picking up a 72 Beetle that's been garage kept for 50 years. The pictures show minimal sutface rust on the bottom side, original white paint, and the guy drove it in his barn a year ago. He wants it out of his way and I'm the guy that's going to do it. The good Lord willing. I will be the 3rd owner. I've been a cowboy without a horse for about 20 years now and anxious to get back in the saddle. My last was a 64 with moonroof, 88mm pistols and as much rust as the Titanic. Any tips about quirks or suggestions from yall would be well appreciated. Signed the new guy, FabFour72
Bleu 72 Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Super? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lbhat wrote:
Question so...? I could find a 71 or 72 flat windshield Super with the spare laying flat? with struts too?

If the tire is laying down then it's a Super and has struts. 71-72 Supers had a flat windshield and 73-79 had a curved one.

It's that simple.

It's not that simple. I had a '73 Super Beetle, bought brand new. It absolutely had a windshield flat as a pancake. I think the change to curved windshield may have been a mid-year change during 1973 production. I've heard VW often did mid-year changes on Beetles.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Super? Reply with quote

Bleu 72 Super wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Lbhat wrote:
Question so...? I could find a 71 or 72 flat windshield Super with the spare laying flat? with struts too?

If the tire is laying down then it's a Super and has struts. 71-72 Supers had a flat windshield and 73-79 had a curved one.

It's that simple.

It's not that simple. I had a '73 Super Beetle, bought brand new. It absolutely had a windshield flat as a pancake. I think the change to curved windshield may have been a mid-year change during 1973 production. I've heard VW often did mid-year changes on Beetles.

Would you happen to have a picture of it from the front?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat Super? Reply with quote

Bleu 72 Super wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Lbhat wrote:

It's that simple.

Definitely not a mid year change, my October of 72 (73 model year) has a curved windshield. All german production super windshields were curved beginning in August of 72, the beginning of the 73 model year.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

Folks have changed a bunch of stuff on a bunch of these old VWS.

Like here's my own 1971 Super

Note that it has 1970-only rear reflectors on the bumper mounts (because they're cool). And has a 1970 sedan engine lid because the factory lid was damaged on the bottom when I bought it in 1976, and I traded engine lids with someone who only needed the top half of an engine lid as he was making his into a Baja Bug. And 1971 convertibles did not come with Pastel White paint, or with tan convertible tops https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/71superbeetle/back.jpg Or with 1835cc engines or purchased-used vintage Buddy Hale wheels....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Lotrat, Two can play at that game

My 74 super spare sits upright Laughing

Now, that's funny.

One thing to remember is that much (not all) discussion here centers around U.S., Canadian, and Western European based cars. The rest of the world had more variations.

Also, not mentioned here is that the 1303 (curved front windscreen) cars have roof stampings that are different because of the curved vs 'flat' front glass. Just one more difference in the 'aft of the A-pillar' differences.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a Beetle and that is a Super Beetle Reply with quote

I’ve been reading a book about early Beetle development and noticed this 1932 NSU prototype. Based on the width of the hood, it’s the first Super Beetle. Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: