Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow without external cooler??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
txoval wrote:
I think it’s the better way because you get rid of the sharp turn. A AN 90 is a smooth bend. Both have been proven to work though

Chickensoup wrote:
good to know! If i dont find the elbow at summit, ill probably resort to that. thanks

What about all the sharp, 90* turns in the case?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn is 100% correct IMHO.
sometimes people obsess over nonsense.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

the 90 is ok, smooth out the inside and it will flow fine.
The large radius bend looks fancy with a aftermarket pulley, but if you use a full size 7" or 7.25" pulley it's too close for comfort, at least IMO.
And the farther it hangs out of the case the more leverage there is making it want to come loose.
brass 90 right into brass or steel flare fittings, short and sweet. loctite in place, aim carefully. never needs to come out.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
the 90 is ok, smooth out the inside and it will flow fine.
The large radius bend looks fancy with a aftermarket pulley, but if you use a full size 7" or 7.25" pulley it's too close for comfort, at least IMO.
And the farther it hangs out of the case the more leverage there is making it want to come loose.
brass 90 right into brass or steel flare fittings, short and sweet. loctite in place, aim carefully. never needs to come out.

+1 easy peasy and fits well under the tin this way, just some simple denting and bending is all it takes to clear-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Respectfully, if your engine is overheating, it’s not because of that slot in the pulley tin.

sled wrote:
Id like to see how you seal the tin when using that big AN sweep fitting, but I see there is already a gaping hole for the oil pump cover...so obviously thats not important?

I need all the cooling detail I can get, when I'm pushing my 1965 westfalia camper bus down the highway and through mountain passes in July when its near triple digits. Not all of us drive weekend cruiser beetles.

plus any extra holes in the tin just introduce dirt and dust into the engine bay...and yes not all of us drive on clean pavement.

plus it just looks ghetto with holes chopped in tin.

If we're looking at it from a flow restriction standpoint, how does a "street 90" compare to the rest of the remote system with filter bracket (has 90 degree passages), filter, and sometimes a remote cooler with even more fittings and 90 degree passages. Would be interesting to compare flow and/or pressure loss in an entire system with a sharp 90 fitting and a sweep 90 fitting.

that being said, I use sweep fittings everywhere else on my remote oil system in my aforementioned bus Wink
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Sled:

I appreciate your contributions to this board too much to continue this discussion. In either of our garages drinking a cold one it would be fun.

My final post on this subject...

The cut around the tin is minor once the 90 is installed and gap is much smaller the dozen plus louvers that allow air and dust to enter our engine compartments. Ghetto is a visual opinion...hammering in a dimpled dent is ghetto to me. If you want to do it right, cut it, shape a piece of sheetmetal around it and weld it in. Smooth it out and paint

Regarding the flow restriction, I agree, the difference is probably minimal. However, just because the case has a dozen sharp 90's, why add another when you don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I cut mine out but if it could be neatly hammered or welded to fit that would be better!

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I think I effed up.

1/4 inch npt seems like i won't have enough thread depth.

Will 9/16 NPT be enough? The inlet hole on the case is 12mm

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

You should be using a 3/8 NPT fitting, so you need a 9/16” drill bit
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I have one of the brass 90’s if you want it
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
You should be using a 3/8 NPT fitting, so you need a 9/16” drill bit

That'll work. I might as well use 8AN lines are that point instead. Less pressure at the pump.

I saw your other post. PM incoming
Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I ran 8AN lines on 36hp Okrasa engine. I would not run anything smaller for oil
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Yeah makes sense. Especially considering how small the early 40hp passages are.

Now that im using 3/8 NPT/8AN,

Which one would y'all choose for the 90?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gar-7-116pse-6

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/moe-033206-10
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I bought one identical to the last one for like half the price locally at napa auto parts last year Very Happy

I wouldn't bother with that chrome one, it'll get all chewed up when you round over the edges installing/clearancing it.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I bought one identical to the last one for like half the price locally at napa auto parts last year Very Happy

I wouldn't bother with that chrome one, it'll get all chewed up when you round over the edges installing/clearancing it.

huh... an i always thought napa was expensive Shocked

Thats why you buy an AN crescent wrench!

By AN i mean aluminum.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

I use summit AN hose ends, brass 90, steel flare adapters. I use a basic wrench to tighten them all up, and the white loctite pipe thread sealant on all the pipe thread fittings. No leaks Very Happy

I need to redo my hoses soon (all nasty and frayed, and a little too long) and may go to sweep 90 hose ends at the oil filter adapter end of the hoses. What oil filter adapter are you using?

Wanna be real cool? use the swooky purple fittings from colorfittings-

My car aint' crispy enough for such luxury yet Very Happy that would be ~70$ in fittings alone for two lines Shocked

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

wow that a funky fitting Shocked

Thats about what its costing me. These adapters arent cheap. I actually went with a 45 degree hose adapter for the filter side because theyre cheaper Laughing

You can also use the swivel hose adapters with male NPT ends. That way your not buying and using 3 un-needed adapters.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
txoval wrote:

Yeah makes sense. Especially considering how small the early 40hp passages are.

Now that im using 3/8 NPT/8AN,

Which one would y'all choose for the 90?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gar-7-116pse-6

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/moe-033206-10

I would buy the brass fitting and round the edges so all the sheetmetal that goes over it will need is a little dimple- even smaller than some of the examples above. There's absolutely no reason to carve a big, ratty looking hole that lets preheated air into the engine compartment. If you find the fitting at an industrial supply place (or even a hardware store) you'll pay 1/4- 1/3 of the price. I found one at the local tool place in the air fittings section.

KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

My last mag case was set up like this for the cooler by our friend Adrian. Worked pretty well actually. It didn't look like this, however. It had an actual mag plate welded. Was so much cleaner.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow without external cooler?? Reply with quote

not that it really matters, but this is where I shop for quality oil system components. Setrab fittings for Setrab oil coolers

https://www.anplumbing.com/setrab-oil-coolers-fitt...ories.html

there are MANY other brands of fittings available there as well
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: