Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan???
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thingchick
Samba Member

Location: me or my vw? I'm in Japan, my Thing's in Canada....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

Hey,

I was just wondering if there are any other foreigners living in Japan who are into VWs. I recently hooked up with a VW shop close to my 'home town' -bought a mid 90's Mexican Beetle off of them (it's all I could afford -vintage is pricey here) and they've invited me to cruise with them to shows across the country. If there's anyone out there who is interested in joining, I'd love to have another English speaker along for the ride!

Here's a link to some photos of my first Japanese 'VW Meeting':

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4145730093

Thingchick
Gripdolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Seems like you posted this some years ago, maybe 2008! I'm in Tokyo, but have a place out on the beach with a couple of split-screenType 2s!

Let me know if you're still around.

All the best,

David
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

I noticed this person has not used the site since 2010 so they may not see your post.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BannisteR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

I got excited seeing this post, and then saw it was resurrected from '08
I'm stationed out here in Japan. My bug is in the states and awaits parts and attention. It is cool to stumble upon older VW's out here though.
1999 SXE10 Toyota Altezza
VWLover77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

In 2004, I sold my 79 Bay to a broker in Gardena, California named David Kakazu who owned an export company called SeaCal Trading. He was exporting a lot of ACVWs to Japan at that time, and mine was one of them.

I've always wondered how it has fared there and was curious if anyone here has connections with the ACVW scene in Japan and may have seen it.

It was an automatic, with working dealer-added A/C, original paint, and 63K miles when sold.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1978 Westy
1971 Super Beetle Convertible

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

I used to buzz around in a oval windo bug on okinawa in the mid 70's, dont remember the year of the bug.it was red...well sort of. he said it was a 25 hp. it could idle up any hill you came to with 4 people in it.
97Mexi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

Yup!

I know Thingchick is long gone but I am here!

I have a '96 Mexican that I'm fixing up.... the car, not a person, that would be cruel. I've replaced the engine wiring harness because of a short and burn out (luckily no fire, though). I got the wiring harness from Antonio Trejo in Mexico. Great guy, great service, fast shipping.

Currently doing a few more "updates" to the Vocho in preparation for some cruising this summer.

Any other VW gaijins around Tokyo/ Saitama area? I'm not far from Seibu Amusement Park.

I'm also looking for friends who have Mexican Beetles. There are a few things that are quite different from the other Beetles and it would be good to have someone to toss around ideas with.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

I lived in the Shonan area (Kugenuma Kaigan) of Kanagawa for 12 years and get back at least once a year to see family. There is a healthy ACVW following and collectors in Japan and a fair number of gatherings every year.

Here are a couple pics of a local VW repair shop near my father in law's house near Zengyo, Kanagawa.

And a beautiful Bug on the way to our friend's house in Kugenuma Kaigan.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

One of my sons is visiting family in Kanagawa Japan and came across another VW Shop in Fujisawa. It's called Flower Auto and has a good selection of ACVWs being worked on. My wife and I are heading back in July and I definately stop by this shop to check it out.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Any other 'GAIJIN' VW lovers in Japan??? Reply with quote

Great to see some ACVW info from Japan. We're hoping to visit there in a couple years and look forward to checking out the scene. This fall we're heading to Thailand and would love to meet up with a couple local VW people when we're in Bangkok for a few days, but so far I haven't heard back from anyone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: