Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of overhauling a double side cover IRS trans that had some main shaft bearing noise.

When I pulled the diff out, the large pinion bearing retaining nut was hand tight. I removed it by hand.

When I disassembled the pinion shaft, the small pinion retaining nut was also loose. There were some chisel marks on the small nut as if it was tightened without the correct tool at some point.

The ring and pinion are in excellent shape with no pitting to speak of.

The bearing turns smoothly, if a little noisy when clean and dry.

There was no detectable play in the bearing when assembled.

Should it be replaced?

I pressed off the pinion bearing and cleaned it and this is what it looks like:

Pinion side:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gearbox Side:

Rollers:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

Looks bad to me. I would change it. Too cheap of a part to have to go back and replace it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I wouldn’t say it was destroyed, but it definitely has some wear to it. For as much as you have to take apart to access it, I would replace it. Throwing something together for a woods buggy would be one thing, but if you are wanting the best reliability, replace it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

The bearing # is marked 524810D. This is nearly impossible to find a replacement. Is the FAG 531068A bearing interchangeable?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
The bearing # is marked 524810D. This is nearly impossible to find a replacement. Is the FAG 531068A bearing interchangeable?

That’s where you make have to make some decisions. You could search for a NOS 524810D bearing, but they haven’t been made for at least a decade. You could also find someone with a used one in better shape than yours. The 531068A bearing can be used as a replacement, and is going to be the only one you can find readily available new. Ideally you would want to reassemble the pinion shaft with the og bearing and measure the pinion depth. That way, when you install the new bearing, you can verify/adjust the new depth to what it was.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I would reach out to user mcmscott- he has lot's of transaxle parts, and good leads on what you may need to do. He builds them for a living and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
The bearing # is marked 524810D. This is nearly impossible to find a replacement.

Know nothing bout trannies, would this work as a suitable replacement (524810 no "D")

https://bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=Transmi...+Nos+Germa

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
19-VW-74 wrote:
The bearing # is marked 524810D. This is nearly impossible to find a replacement.

Know nothing bout trannies, would this work as a suitable replacement (524810 no "D")

https://bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=Transmi...+Nos+Germa

Stay away from that bearing, it is JUNK!!!!
Look at the third photo showing the outer race from the flanged side. see the dark straight lines at 2, 3, 4, 5 o'clock? That is where the rollers were touching the race for the many decades that bearing was stored. Because the rollers are not exactly the same alloy of steel as the race, corrosion starts at the point of contact. Those dark lines are RUST. As soon as that bearing is put into service, the rust will flake off leaving a long pit for the roller to fall into. It's going to make noise!
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I'm able to find the 531068A bearing for around $120-150.

Is this a direct replacement for the 524810D? (Beyond setting the pinion depth, of course)
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

https://weddleindustries.com/products/113-311-219-A/113-311-219-A

Call Weddle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
I'm able to find the 531068A bearing for around $120-150.

Is this a direct replacement for the 524810D? (Beyond setting the pinion depth, of course)

The 531068A bearing is the last evolution of the design of the late pinion bearing that was used in Beetle transaxles from 75-79, and the 091 Bus transaxles. It is the only new replacement available. It will interchange, but it is not identical to the bearing you are replacing. The first version of the large late bearing had a thrust washer under 1st gear. Did yours have a thrust washer? If so, the 531068A bearing eliminates the washer, and uses the inner bearing race as the thrust.
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

The bearing had identical rollers, with both inner races marked 524810D. There was no spacer (or even pinion shims, for that matter). I'll order the 531068A bearing.

Thanks for the information, gkeeton.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

19-VW-74 wrote:
The bearing had identical rollers, with both inner races marked 524810D. There was no spacer (or even pinion shims, for that matter). I'll order the 531068A bearing.

Thanks for the information, gkeeton.

Look, and see if the pinion shims are still in the trans case.
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I've looked and looked. Gone over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb. No shim to be found. I may have to start moving my bench around to see if it fell.

Is it possible that my transaxle had no shim after manufacturing?
My pinion shaft is marked for r = 0.28mm.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I would reach out to user mcmscott- he has lot's of transaxle parts, and good leads on what you may need to do. He builds them for a living and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

x2

Scott is the best! And he has a full assortment of parts. But better still, he builds transmissions for a living. And he is super helpful!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
https://weddleindustries.com/products/113-311-219-A/113-311-219-A

This is for 69 and earlier trans cases where the pinion bearing is held in place with 4 bolts. Not what the OP needs.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

I think your pinion bearing may be ok to use. To know for sure requires more inspection.

To judge the outer race, only look at the threaded side. The side with the flange never has any load on it, so it is always better than the threaded side. Does yours have a notch in the threads to stake the nut after it's tightened? If so, this is always oriented at the 9 o'clock position as viewed from the diff side.

Think about the load applied to the bearing. The pinion teeth are pushing down on the ring gear, so that means the pinion shaft is pushing up on the bearing's outer race. There is also a slight amount of force pushing the side cover out of the case. The reaction force on the pinion bearing from that is then towards 3 o'clock. But this side force is very little compared to the force pushing up. What all this means is that the main force on the outer race is pushing at about 12:30 to 1 o'clock. This is where you look.
If there isn't a notch to indicate how the outer race was installed, simply judge the worst part of the race. That will be at about 1 o'clock.

Post pics.

When I reuse a bearing, I always install it so that the notch for the nut is at 3 o'clock. Now the bearing is pushing against the better part of the race.

You can spend a minute or two with some 600 grit sandpaper to see how it looks. It may improve a lot.

Next is to inspect the inner races of the two bearings. After washing them in solvent then drying them with compressed air, I use an eye loupe to look in between the rollers. I have to have a bright light on the other side to get enough light in there. Slowly turn the inner race while holding the cage steady and look at the race for pitting.

Above I told you how it's pointless to look at the flanged side of the bearing. The reason for that is why the inner race that was on the 1st gear side will be in better condition than the bearing that was on the diff side. If both inner races have no pitting, and the outer race looks good, I install the bearings opposite of the way they were. Put the one that was next to the pinion gear on the 1st gear side.
19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

To judge the outer race, only look at the threaded side. The side with the flange never has any load on it, so it is always better than the threaded side. Does yours have a notch in the threads to stake the nut after it's tightened? If so, this is always oriented at the 9 o'clock position as viewed from the diff side.

Yes, mine has 2 notches at the 9:00 position, when viewed from the pinion side. The pinion nut was not staked, however. And it used the old style nut that doesn't have the groove for staking.

Bruce wrote:

What all this means is that the main force on the outer race is pushing at about 12:30 to 1 o'clock. This is where you look.
If there isn't a notch to indicate how the outer race was installed, simply judge the worst part of the race. That will be at about 1 o'clock.

Post pics.

All pictures below are from the pinion side, 12:00-1:00 position, with the notches in the outer race to the left (9:00). The wear is uniform throughout the race, and the pinion side outer race looks virtually identical to the 1st gear side.

In my initial post you can see the condition of both sets of rollers in the two pics. The wear there also looks identical. The pinion side inner race shows virtually identical wear to the 1st gear side inner race. You can't feel the wear on the rollers with your fingernail.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Experts: How does this pinion bearing look? Reply with quote

Now look at the inner race of the two bearings. The one originally by the pinion gear should be worse. These races are usually in worse shape than the outer race, so looking at them is more important.

Two things tell me your gearbox has been rebuilt in the past. The etched markings on the outer race are different from what FAG used in the 70s. It tells me someone put a new FAG pinion bearing in it last time it was rebuilt.
The nut you describe sounds like the SKF nut. VW never mixed them at the factory. There's absolutely no harm in mixing them today. Since you can't stake the nut, I recommend a microscopic amount of Loctite. For that location, I use Loctite 290. This Loctite is intended to be applied on assembled fasteners and will wick into the threads. It holds the nut well, but after applying heat, you can still remove it. Do not slather on huge quantities of "forever" loctite, it isn't needed there, and one day someone might want to take it apart. I put a single drop onto the tip of my xacto knife, then touch it to the gap between the nut and bearing race. I do that in about 8-10 locations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: