Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

My double cab sits for sometimes, months without running. Because of this, the gas evaporates out of the carbs. It takes a bit of cranking or a shot of ether to get fuel to the carbs .
Has anybody put an electric fuel pump in line before the stock pump to fill the carbs? Would the pump push the fuel past the stock fuel pump?
Thanks.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

Why don't you have done with it and just run an electric pump on it's own?
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

why not ditch the stock pump and switch to full electric pump? not worth it otherwise

~ mark divine
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

MitchS046 wrote:
why not ditch the stock pump and switch to full electric pump? not worth it otherwise

Good question
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

richierich wrote:

Thought about it, but I never had a stock pump go out and leave me stranded. Electric, yes.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:

Has anybody put an electric fuel pump in line before the stock pump to fill the carbs? Would the pump push the fuel past the stock fuel pump?
Thanks.

Yes, it has been done before, and yes, it'll easily push fuel right through a stock mechanical pump. If you wish to use the same type of system, you'll need to be sure the electric pump you use will allow fuel to freely flow through when it is switched off. I installed an Airtex E8016S pump for this very reason, and it has worked flawlessly for the past eight years.
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
dubman67 wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, it has been done before, and yes, it'll easily push fuel right through a stock mechanical pump. If you wish to use the same type of system, you'll need to be sure the electric pump you use will allow fuel to freely flow through when it is switched off. I installed an Airtex E8016S pump for this very reason, and it has worked flawlessly for the past eight years.

Thank you
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

dubman67 wrote:
richierich wrote:

Thought about it, but I never had a stock pump go out and leave me stranded. Electric, yes.

Fair point
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

You prefer the failure mode of leaking fuel into the crankcase? Laughing
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

Make the electric primary and keep the mech in the loop. If the electric fails a nipple or a set of valves can take it out of the loop.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

I suppose that two pumps would be a good way to fix the stated problem, but busses have a lot of possible problems.

They really do tend to cook dual carbs when shutoff, and the fuel tank is sometimes higher than the carbs so they may gravity feed and flood, if the needles and seats don't seal perfect.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody come up with a really GOOD electric pump solution for busses, maybe with a shutoff solenoid or something like that.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

Some electric fuel pumps are annoyingly loud! Then you need a safety shut off. The stock fuel pump just quits when the engine stops.

Simple is good.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I suppose that two pumps would be a good way to fix the stated problem, but busses have a lot of possible problems.

They really do tend to cook dual carbs when shutoff, and the fuel tank is sometimes higher than the carbs so they may gravity feed and flood, if the needles and seats don't seal perfect.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody come up with a really GOOD electric pump solution for busses, maybe with a shutoff solenoid or something like that.

Dittos... And it would be so easy....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

My favorite reasons for having an electric Pump.

I had my carbs rebuilt 2 years ago and Rick Hunt send me photos of before and after of every part. The crud and damage from crappy gas and ethanol eating the inside of my carbs was a horror.

I put a fuel shut off switch in line.

Every time I think my car is not going to be driven, before I turn off the key I turn the pump off and wait for the engine to die. Then I shut the car off.

The flow bowls are empty.

When I want to start the car, first I turn the key but do not to the run position. Just the electronics on and wait a a few seconds, for the bowls to fill. Then I pump the pedal a few times, then turn the car to Start and it starts instantly .

Another reason especially for you and and how expensive buses are becoming.

It stops guys from stealing your car if you hide the fuel switch.

My brother had one on his car and he just used it exactly that reason. But did not run the engine dry.

He was in Manhattan and he heard police cars and saw a crowd. A guy was able to start the Ghia and seeing it had fuel in bowls It ran till it went dry on 5th ave. The guy that took it ran and my brother got his ghia back.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

Thats a good idea to put a shutoff valve to run the carbs dry,i use ethanol treatment but i dont use the buggy for transportation if i did ethanol treatment would become little pricey.

I couldnt believe how bad ethanol eats at the inside of a carb,purschased new carbs let it sit for about 5months took tops of carbs off to set the floats and the bowls etc had a major white dusty looking stuff all thru them just in a few months that stopped me from not running ethanol treatment.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric fuel pump to prime carburetors Reply with quote

Think about it, you don't run your engine more then you do.

Maybe -- example 2 hours a day a few times a week. The fuel is in the cars 22 vs 2 hours and when it is in the pump it is moving so less chance of it eating an area.

An old saying is " it is always better to drink moving water!!

Also to prevent pipes from freezing keep the water running.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: