Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am rebuilding my transmission and have gotten to the stage where the grooved nut which retains the pinion bearing has to be removed. This requires the VW 381/14 socket but it seems to be horrifically expensive.

Are there any 'jippo' methods anyone has used to remove this nut?

Thanks a lot,
Dariusz.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

There are ways around removing the nut without the socket, it’s tightening it to 160 ft.lbs. when reinstalling it is when you HAVE to have it. The cheap ones on eBay are around $100-$125, and the best one from Weddle is $168. Buy it, and resell it after you are done with your project. Be aware, that is but only one of many tools needed to properly rebuild a transaxle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Caveman method is rock and chisel...
Make sure the big nut isn't peened in to the bearing race notches
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

I see, thank you for your advice.
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Thanks! Got the nut off hitting the splines with a very blunt chisel and rubber mallet.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

What gkeeton said....

Before I bought that socket I used the hammer and screwdriver method to break the castellated nut loose and to tighten. When I got the socket I checked how much torque I had previously applied with the hammer/screwdriver. It was only about 65 ft-lbs. For years I drove my Bugs with that kind of torque and didn't have or notice any problems.

But I DON'T recommend not torqueing to 160 ft-lbs. How much ring and pinion pre-wear I caused by not having the factory 160 ft-lbs of torque I can't say.

I never planned on selling my Bugs. You wouldn't be doing the next owner any favors by chumping the torque if you did plan on selling your Bug. I still hated spending that kind of money on something I wasn't going to use very often.

But do it right, buy the socket and torque it properly. It's still cheaper than having someone do transmission work and who knows, if you never have to use it again, that would be a good thing.

By the way, I made a lever to bolt to the side of the case so I could hold the trans and torque it to 160 ft-lbs myself.
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Thanks Goober. Interesting to see a different opinion on the torque rating. I will certainly be getting the tool when reassembling. I need to sort out a grinding down into 2nd issue first though (probably a bad syncrho).
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

So, here you go. My variation on the socket.

I found that a vw Bug IRS flange fits perfectly over the pinion, so I figured, if I could find a way to utilize the flange, that would reduce my needed to figure out a body for the socket.

I then went to Harbor freight to see if anything could help. I had taken some basic dimensions before leaving of the flange and armed with that, I found something to help. A 3/4 inch drive to 1/2 inch reducer worked. The 3/4 male side is a loose fit into the splines of the flange. I slide that in there and welded the two parts together, on the inside and on the outside.

Then I secured some 1/8 cold steel 1 inch wide bar in a vise. Using a black sharpie, I trace the pinion nut indentations. Followed that up with a really hard steel scribing tool. Using a cordless jigsaw, I cut out a toothed segment and the radius, out of the cold steel.

I ended up cutting three segments out of the steel. I then clamped all of that onto the perimeter of the flange and welded the segments onto the flange. I used the nut as a guide. I first welded one segment then placed the second one while also placing the pinion nut into the welded segment. I welded the second one, followed by the thrid one. I ground down the welds and the interior portion that I welded.

I then cut just enough off of one side, to clear reverse gear and also be able to turn up to 8 teeth worth of travel.

This tool worked three times, giving me a solid torque value with my 1/2 torque wrench.

Would I do it again. Hell yeah! Part of the fun, to me, is finding a way out of the hole I jumped into!

I will be purchasing the socket sooner than later. I was able to use one when I built my tranny up at Metal Craft Motorsports. Scott had the tool since he rebuilds trannies for his work. Super cool using the manufactured tool, but even cooler to have made one and see it work.

Not sure how many more times it will hold up. The teeth show signs of stress from the few times I used it, but I can always replace the teeth!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

I love it, VW Jimbo.

Very resourceful. A man after my own heart. Now I'm totally embarrassed that I didn't think of that and spent my hard-earned money on that socket.

This is what makes Bugs and our community so wonderful. Great people with great ideas and creativity beating the system.

What's not to love?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I love it, VW Jimbo.

Very resourceful. A man after my own heart. Now I'm totally embarrassed that I didn't think of that and spent my hard-earned money on that socket.

This is what makes Bugs and our community so wonderful. Great people with great ideas and creativity beating the system.

What's not to love?

Thanks! I love using the resoutces on hand to make it happen. I think that line of thinking is being replaced with dependancy upon the good ol internet. Hard to find a solid reason to argue the internet benefits, while typing! But, down inside, I know that being able to "make it happen", is a dying artform.

I love beating the system. Since my junior high school days, I have taken great pride in beating the system. Some would say I cheated, others would say it was creative thinking. I like to think it was a challenge, but really it is just fun solving the bigger issue, me remaining static. I do not like expending more energy than needed. However, many times, I expend three times as much.

Regardless, it is fun and keeps my mind active!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Awesome stuff there Jimbo. I've made a quick model of what I think the tool should approximately look like. Thinking of 3D printing and then casting it.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

^^^^ Whoa! That's super nice.

In the end. Won't printing and casting that tool cost as much as just buying the tool outright?

I like your resourcefulness.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Here is someone else's drawing for part of a home-made version of that tool:

from this thread, which has a few other tools for the transmission:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569056
Gimmedatharpboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

Awesome cheers David. Yes will probably end up costing the same if not more than just buying it!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

I had a flange up on the shelf just sitting there. You can pick them up in the classified section for around 15 bucks. The mild steel is at Home Depot around 15 bucks, and about 10 bucks in gas and wire. The adapter from Hf came in a set. I think it was 8 bucks and I had a 20% off coupon. So all totaled, probably 55, plus some time. Plus, I was out in the garage just tinkering, loving every minute of it. Had the radio going and a big glass of iced tea. No worries.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
Here is someone else's drawing for part of a home-made version of that tool:

If you're going to make this, consider finishing the tool the way I did:

When I made this in the early 90s, the only source I could find for the socket was from VW. They wanted $1100! I made my wrench this way because the Bentley shows a similar wrench in the auto-stick section. My hope was that this wrench would last for 4-5 rebuilds. I've been using it for 30 years now! I have since found the proper socket, but I find my wrench works way better since it doesn't tend to roll off the nut.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 381/14 socket, any alternatives? Reply with quote

I could build a quality tool (Hardend tool steel) that I could rent out possibly, how much demand is there?
would assume all trans builders have one tho ?
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: