Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Ok, been chipping away at getting my 1600 FI engine back together. I have taken down two engines from same year and both did not have a Hoover bit. Did 1979 FI beetles have one?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Man, I have an EFI shroud on my Baja bug and I thought it was set up for the oil cooler sealing frame (Hoover Bit) but I just looked it up on VW's online historic parts manual and it's not listed as an AJ engine part. Hmmm.

link:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/index-sd.html#/176

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Hmmm...., now I've gotta go look, I'm fairly sure the bottom of the cooler house has the same shape and the hole for the bolt.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Also, any idea where to get new rubber for the tin bits on the back around oil cooler? I have them but they are not supple.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

You know this is one of those situations where you could improvise and get better than OEM performance. Unless being all stock and having that look. Using speed tape we have sealed these gaps 100% I’d say they exceed OEM capabilities. Not readily noticeable as it’s behind the shroud.

Awesome Powder coat may have the seals if you go that route.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

re: The doghouse tin seal, I know I've bought one before. A quick look at CIP came up with this:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D119%2D429

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Yes, a '79 had one. On my engines one was missing and one was broken. I ordered a replacement from CIP 1. Here's the engine for my '75 that I finished recently
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

Thanks. I did see that one but the exhaust description threw me off.

Also the rectangle piece of rubber for tins seems to elusive.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-117-321
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

That engine is sweet. And the green is a close match to my first bug I painted. It was a fiat color from the 70s Smile

Im going for the cleaned up with some age look.

Well dam, They are out of stock at CIP. Will look around.

Thanks
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

finefettle wrote:
That engine is sweet. And the green is a close match to my first bug I painted. It was a fiat color from the 70s Smile

Im going for the cleaned up with some age look.

Well dam, They are out of stock at CIP. Will look around.

Thanks
Thanks! It's the original L61A cliff Green. I'm sure they're available elsewhere. I plan on aging mine by driving a lot lol
hjames575
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

I inherited a 72 super beetle and have just pulled the engine to dig in a bit deeper. Come to find out I am missing the hoover bit! first question is where can I find one as all the online shops don't have them. Second question is what do i use as the seal that was originally on the oil cooler? t seems like some type of weather stripping. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

I got my Hoover Bit from Awesomepowdercoat.com

Tim

Richard O'Brien
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

hjames575 wrote:
. Second question is what do i use as the seal that was originally on the oil cooler? t seems like some type of weather stripping.

Closed cell weather stripping works fine, ~1/2" thick X 3/4" wide.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

hjames575 wrote:
I inherited a 72 super beetle and have just pulled the engine to dig in a bit deeper. Come to find out I am missing the hoover bit! first question is where can I find one as all the online shops don't have them. Second question is what do i use as the seal that was originally on the oil cooler? t seems like some type of weather stripping. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Before you order a Hoover Bit from Clark at Awesome Powder coat. How is your thermostat functioning? Might as well make one order. If you should need too Wink

Yes on what Busdaddy said on the foam.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting together 1979 FI. Hoover bit? Reply with quote

I had to modify Hoover bit to fit FI shroud, shroud kinda incorporates part of the bit, the metal bend running front to back fits very close to cooler, then there is the cut out that needs another patch, (fabbed), I modified a stock one a bit, Here are some picks of what I did, if you can make sense of them! one pic is a mirror shot looking from the block, black and rust part is FI shroud tight to cooler.
Hoover bit is installed in all pics.
Have to slot for accelerator also.
Lots of work!

Added patch

Cooler and shroud almost touching

Patch in place

Cut off bit where it interferes with shroud.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: