Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picking up the Pieces.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

I followed your Ghia project project and I did not know that you had this project happening. We need to talk as thats going to be my next project also when I finally get my Ghia completed. Well done..its stunning!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

This photo was up on FB by my panel guy. My 356 is still there but next to another car from the same factory. I kind of liked the photo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been working outside Australia for the bulk of the year so this project is having a bit of a hiatus.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Dormant. That's the only way to describe it. I'm in New Zealand. The car still in Brisbane and the mechanicals are in Sydney. And then we have closed borders on account of a pandemic. All these obstacles I'm surprised anything is getting done!

Bumpers. What I had wasn't great, but the prices being asked for the repro stuff with thin metal wasn't making me feel warm and happy.

Replacement mounts are available so I had a set sent across from the US. We got rid of the badly welded stuff and cut out the worst of the damaged sections.

Of course the work gets fitted up to the car before going further. Ya gotta do when so the shape can be corrected, not after.

Then its the same highfill and polyester as the rest of the car

And then a shot of that Signal Red.

I think it came out pretty well. Certainly easier to do than the chrome bumpers on my Ghia.

Nicholas
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Simply amazing work. I wish I had these skills.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Followed your Ghia project and just found this thread. Very inspiring and great skill!
Matheus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Really nice project! Congrats for superb job!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Things are moving slowly on account of Covid restriction in Australia. I organised for the bumper trims to be added and the trim on the sills under the doors to be mounted. The original stuff was too badly dented to be a viable repair. There was also work under the front guard for the horn mounting brackets.

The over riders are yet to be re-chromed. I suppose the next thing wound be mounting the headliners and getting the front an rear glass installed.
We wait to see how the year starts off, then we'll know how much this can progress
Nicholas
DariuszPlich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

This is one of my automotive dreams. Your sheet metal work is a masterpiece Applause Applause
It looks beautiful in this red
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

We're mounting some of the rubber around the door and also adding the latch mechanisms.

The plan would be getting the car ready for transport. The head lining will get done as well as the glass inserted. We're a long way off at this stage but headed there. There are odd numbers of things that I'm trying to gather together. Its tough to get it right and I don't want to duplicate what I already have but I can't tell from 2000 kilometres away. Are we over this pandemic yet? I certainly am

Nicholas.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Nice to see some progress, but one year and a few small bits? That’s a bummer for you. Sorry Mad
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Nicholas, The paint on the Porsche is in one word BEAUTIFUL. In 1971 I had a 1965 signal red,356 SC. I tried to match a fender using Glasurit paint, and it was impossible to use the OE formula. I worked for the dealership at the time and was told by an old German rep. that the red varied from batch to batch on the Porsche line and that only about 200 cars constituted a "run" and then a new batch would be placed online for use. So even Porsche had an issue with the red it was using back then. Makes sense, I couldnt match fender to petrol door on one with only less than 2000 miles, buying from the same distributor Porsche used. Keep up the excellent work. Those who know, think the color is smack on. I do have a question, I almost forgot to ask. Is the paint 1 step or 2 step. It sure shines like it is base coat / clear coat.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Yes, it is a 2 stage paint from PPG.

The pandemic has been most frustrating. I had planned to have the car back in my garage two years ago but the borders have been closed. I had planned to fly back and forth and do the assembly during holiday breaks but that's been stopped. At least I'm safe and healthy in New Zealand where the community has managed to ward off the poor results in many other places.

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Picking up the Pieces. Reply with quote

Finally the car and all its parts are under one roof.
This week I visited Brad's workshop where the body has been stationed for the past 4 years. Very little has been happening with it. I hoped Brad could complete the head liner and install the glass, but there wasn't enough time to spare. The situation is Brad's landlord has given everyone notice to leave because he wants to re-develop the site. Brad's made the choice to close down his business and take a well deserved break from it all. He and his missus are planning a long road trip before moving on to the next big thing. I've invited him to New Zealand if that's where they're passing.

Here we are saying good by to Brad and thanking him for the work and effort in taking a piece of junk to beautiful state.

This is the shell mounted on its dolly and strapped down on Brad's trailer at Southport where the journey begins. The trailer weighed more than the body. The total mass was under 1000kg. Because it was such a low riding trailer it tracked very nicely behind the truck over the 900km journey. The only incident to report was losing one of the wheels off the dolly when the nut shook loose and the wheel disspeared along the way. The straps were pulling the dolly so tightly that no extra movement was felt without that wheel. We could continue well without it... so we did.

On the way down we stopped at Cessnock in the Hunter Valley. This area is famous for its vineyards and wineries. We were there on the night of the winter solstice so it was appropriate for a frost to form on the fresh red paint. Once the sun got on it it all melted away without harm, but the patterns in the ice crystals were way cool..literally!

A few hours later we were in Sydney and with the help of the guys working the construction site across the street ( who were in the middle of a concrete pour) we unloaded the tailer and pushed the T6 in to its resting place in my garage. Of course you can see that it has good company. Both cars came from the Karmann Werk, The red one in Dec '64 and the blue one in Feb '66.

I guess the first task will be doing the headliner and then getting the glass in. I have some boxes of parts for the car but notice there are no door locks. I have yet another set of door handles. There will be a bunch of stuff that will go to the electroplaters. Thank goodness there are no Chrome bumpers in this car. The Ghia took two attempts to get that right. This one has less chrome in it and much of it is in a good state that would only need buffing and waxing. Where I can I will use the original chrome.

I've arrived back in Auckland so I will only be able to perform tasks during breaks in Sydney.

Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: