Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476, That fuel mileage is respectful. One of the fine tuning for decent fuel mileage is "tuning" the carbs. Do you have any information about the jetting sizes that you are currently using? It appear as if you have it dialed in very well. Thx for any info. R.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Parts wear out in 35 years. Static timing is only used to get an engine to run in order to strobe time it these days.

Don't fax your bank statements, and don't static time your Type 4 for a road trip.

The cool thing about experimenting with timing, is that it's quick, free, and easily reversible. Set it to 28° btdc at maximum advance with the hose(s) off, and let us know where the timing lies at idle. THEN adjust your idle speed to 950-1,000 RPM, unless you have an emissions test that mandates something else.

Tire pressures are NOT 36psi in the front, I'm not sure where that figure came from. Check your door jam, gas flap, or steering column for correct pressures.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

I will measure the idle rpm as well as the oil pressure and report back. However, since the symptoms I described appeared as soon as the bus left the shop after the distributor swap, it is likely that they are a direct result of that. As far as I know, the mechanic did not mess with my engine, so common’, what are the chances of an oil sender all of the sudden deciding to go bad? Or any other component for that matter?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Everything relating to spark and induction affects everything else. Change the timing and idle airflow changes. Which changes the engines speed and mixture. Set the timing too advanced and the engine runs hotter. Hotter engines equal lower oil pressure. Lower idle speed equals lower oil pressure.

Bottom line, is that someone who does something the same way for 35 years while parts wear out and change spec is not paying attention to all the details and factors that affect the way an engine runs.

A 009 has one internal advance spring, and one free weight, which changes the advance curve significantly from stock. They often time differently at idle vs. static timing them with a test light.

Achtung! Exclamation A fuel-injected bus should have the vacuum advance taken off the firewall side of the throttle body. The EEC valve on the air cleaner should be T’d into that line. If the EEC valve does not hold a perfect vacuum when sucked on by mouth, the leaky valve will “steal” all your vacuum advance, and you’ll be left with a pretty and expensive distributor that behaves like a worse 009. Please do check for correct vacuum hose routing AND a leaky EEC valve before blaming a low fuel economy on a new distributor.

Until you get a chance to check where your max advance truly is, and adjust the car accordingly, there isn’t really much else discussion to have.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonbye wrote:
73 UK Spec Westfalia Continental
Stock TP 1600
2 Adults, 4 kids, a Westy Trailer and camping kit for us all.

Over 1000 miles, averaging 25.7 (Imperial MPG = 21.4 US)

Using Road Trip on my iPhone, which is superb. I'd recommend it.

That sounds about right for a 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

With the Minnow Fish carburettor, I used to get 25.0 +/- 0.5 miles per IMPERIAL gallon touring in mainland Europe with my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental, running with 185 SR14 Michelin XZX Reinforced radial-ply tyres. I'm not sure what it was with the original cross-ply tyres!?!

I hope to get better than this with the 1911 cc Type 4 engine (CR = 8.0:1), VW 1800 Type 2 transaxle and 215/65 R16C tyres on Mercedes C-Class alloy wheels.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

We get 18 mpg in our 74 with a 76 2liter, going 65 to 70 during road trips. We have a Holley weber carb. About 14 mpg or so in stop and go traffic.
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Camping trip to Poconos mainly highways and some mountain roads
19 mpg at 68 mph highways fully loaded 71 bus with 1904 dual 40 webers, 79 pop top

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Wait, how is that pop top set up? From the interior pic, it looks like the headliner is intact! Did you cut a smaller hole?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

I installed the camping interior first and a year later I found a pop top and cut the hole in the roof and installed it

Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Robbie, you are spot on. 78 stock Westy, searching why running hot have VDO oil temp gauge. Fooling around with timing last year, set to 28 at WOT, thought I was good, but with hose back on distributor, still 28 at WOT.
Traced the vacuum hose & found the tee to the air cleaner thinge, sucked on the hose to the thinge & sure enough, didn’t hold a vacuum. Bypassed the tee to the thinge and bus really woke up and oil temps came down noticeably.
As you know Bentley has specific TOTAL advance numbers for many distributors, and mine was spot on.
How long was I driving like that, 1 mile, 10 miles, 100 miles, 1000 miles or more?
Some say you will smell gas after shutting down without the thinge working but I haven’t had that problem.
bryancald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

1977 Westy Deluxe
Fresh 2.0L Fat Performance, mild cam, dual Weber 44IDF's
Stock 4 speed
27X8.5/R14 LT Grabber A/Tx tires
Freeway speeds up to 65
13-16mpg mostly freeway
Driving style: lots of hills and wind

I feel better seeing other people's fairly terrible mileage
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

Hi, my '76 transporter (2.0 litre points FI stick) went from Cadiz, KY to Knoxville TN on a tank of gas, 262 miles. Really down to the nubs on the fuel gauge upon arrival. Speed 50-60. Divided by 14.6 = 17.9 mpg, but really depends on where true empty is on the gauge. Not sure where the reserve tank comes in vs. where the needle displays true empty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

bryancald wrote:
1977 Westy Deluxe
Fresh 2.0L Fat Performance, mild cam, dual Weber 44IDF's
Stock 4 speed
27X8.5/R14 LT Grabber A/Tx tires
Freeway speeds up to 65
13-16mpg mostly freeway
Driving style: lots of hills and wind

I feel better seeing other people's fairly terrible mileage

40's would suffice far better than 44's on a 2L.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Calocedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

1969 Sundial Camper (straight up poptop)
1600 SP
EDIT: Stock 205t Distributor
Stock Fuel Pump
Solex h30/31
CB CW Crank 69mm
Stock balanced rods
Engle W100 Cam
Balanced AA Pistons
GEX Heads (VW)
Stock Exhaust
Thunderer 101 tires (no idea psi)

2 dogs
3 people
Stuffed with clothes, x-mas presents, beer, gear...etc...

Averaged 19.34 mpg (n=8, max=22.4, min=16.94)

I was cruising at about 60mph on flat freeway, 25 mph in 2nd gear on the grapevine and similar grades (terrifying). Also had a lot of construction along the way. I think that is where the gas mileage dropped off.

Only topped off the oil once on the 1500+ mile journey.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

'78 Westy. 2.0 solid lifter with stockish Web cam. 40 DRLAs. 185r14c Hankooks. average highway speed 65. 14 mpg. Not a happy camper, nor am I.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
'78 Westy. 2.0 solid lifter with stockish Web cam. 40 DRLAs. 185r14c Hankooks. average highway speed 65. 14 mpg. Not a happy camper, nor am I.

What are your jets? Brakes dragging?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I'd put a A/F gauge on it and see what is going on. Are you using an 009 distributor with mechanical advance only?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

My last 1060 mile trip towing a ‘73 Allstate trailer I netted 19.75 MPG. Mostly highway driving, with little city miles. Cruised 60-65 most of the time.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's your MPG (miles per gallon) fuel gas mileage FAQ Reply with quote

my 1971 westy with a 1641 and Norris bus cam nets me 23/24 mpg. with full camp gear. Iam building a 1776 now with another Norris bus cam and a two-barrel weber will see what happens. I ran this same setup in the 70's in another 71 westy and I got 23/24 mpg with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: