Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

I am soliciting opinions on an exhaust for a hot-street 1776cc. My car is meant to be a “Day-Two” Looker. My engine consists of:

Dual Weber 40DNC 2bbl carburetors on Deano Intakes
VW Round Port heads which have been ported and fly cut (9.2:1 CR), 40mm intake / 36mm exhaust valves
1 ½” KYMCO equal length 4-to-1 exhaust collector which feeds dual quiet pack exhaust
Gene Berg 3 ½ quart sump with remote oil filter

The engine makes peak power at 6800rpm and runs great.

I am considering a different exhaust to improve appearance. The current KYMCO system is 18 years old and extends nearly as far as the bumper. I want to explore options which have more “tuck”, improved ground clearance and potentially utilize the exhaust openings in the rear apron. I currently have 1 ½” heat exchanges but never use them, so I am OK to skip them on my next exhaust.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A few which caught my eye are:

Vintage Speed 38mm (1 ½”) equal length header to “super flow” muffler: https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/38MM-HEADER-&-SUPER-FLOW-1-9-FOR-BEETLE-57-35-p132807509

Vintage Speed 38mm (1 ½”) non-equal length to “super flow” muffler: https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-SUPERFLOW-VW-BUG-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-p87513442

Am I giving up much with the non-equal length exhaust?

CSP Super-Competition: https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-su...7377c.html

CSP Evolution Competition in 38mm: https://www.csp-shop.com/en/exhaust-heating/csp-ev...9793a.html

The differences I see between these two CSP offerings are minor bend differences in the collector.

Are there other systems I should consider?
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

The VS SS143 gets mentioned in these forums a lot...

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/Super-Sport-EL-SS143-Exhaust-Systems-c33978567

Have a read through this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9111166&highlight=1776#9111166
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

I ran a CSP EVO comp on my 67. With heater boxes.

Sounds great.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

What's wrong with dual QPs?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

None of the VS mufflers are that interesting if/when your engine revs that high, as they are all shorty headers. The one that fir the bill the closest is the CSP super comp EVO.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

How about dual super-trapp's specially for their size!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Dang, that Kymco exhaust hangs way out there!

While the VST exhausts are tidy and supposedly sound great,
They will never perform like a true tuned exhaust header.

You really can’t compare that CSP system to what’s essentially just a can.

What’s That Noise?!?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

If it was my bug I would just use a hide away like this one.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

I'd go CSP or make a custom hideaway with a 2" mandral bends and muffler with the tail pipe straight out the back.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a " day two looker"?

Not sure if this helps, but on my 1900, going from dual to single QP, it "felt" like it was putting out more power. It was far from being an ideal combo, though...and feelings are unreliable sources of data.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Here is another option.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/A-1-Sidewinder-Muffler-Beetle-with-Drum-Brakes-p/a1-sw-dual.htm
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Is the 6800 dyno proven or seat of the pants?

CSP is definitely a nice setup, but all of the piping would drive me crazy (just a me thing).

Alstrup could provide #’s, but what kind of change is he really looking at switching to VS’s exhaust? They are nice quality systems, simple to install, but damn the prices have gone up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

I like dual quiet packs as well. This is a Berg 933s that’s been modified with a vband to install an A1 dual quit pack muffler.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Sorry, I posted one of the pics twice.

This is a picture from the other side.
Previously I had a fat boy or whatever they’re called and it was too low snd a bit loud for my taste.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

jeff68 wrote:

I like dual quiet packs as well. This is a Berg 933s that’s been modified with a vband to install an A1 dual quit pack muffler.

I generally really dislike quiet packs, but that is the cleanest, most tasteful application of them I've ever seen Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I generally really dislike quiet packs, but that is the cleanest, most tasteful application of them I've ever seen Shocked

Hey, I resemble that remark Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Hey, I resemble that remark Wink

I think Glenn's is a way better fit.
And dual merged quiet packs are my favorites!!!

I suggested the hide away as an easy way out for the O.P.
Duals can be hit or miss with the fit and finish but if you get the right one and it fits tight it's just old school awesome!!

IMHO
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Glen needs to ditch those taillights on that fat chick. You could see those brake lights from the ISS

I have a brand new "euro tuck" and one of those "hideaways" collecting dust in the garage..

https://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/product/vw-1965-19...0cc-306971

Last edited by KEGZ on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

KEGZ wrote:
Glen needs to ditch those taillights on that fat chick. You could see those brake lights from the ISS

Dance with the one you brung.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust Options for Hot-Street 1776cc Reply with quote

Thanks Lingwendil, I appreciate that!
Glenn- it goes without saying, your exhaust system looks great! I tried for a while to find an original Berg dual quiet pack muffler for a merged header (933S) but couldn’t so I had A1 make me one. It fits pretty well but the Berg dual qp tucks under the fenders a little more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: