Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best coilover source?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: best coilover source? Reply with quote

looking for recommendations for good place to get 10" / 12" stroke coilovers?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

I have had good service from KarTek in Corona.
It does help with finding out what spring rate you need if know what your sprung and unsprung weight is at each wheel.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Kartek for sure. Best to call and see what they have in stock. There is I believe a 4-6 month wait on shocks right now. Maybe more, maybe less.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

i used accutune off road, but i also looked at downsouth motorsports. they spent time on the phone talking to me about my needs, i eventually went with accutune. both companies will take all your info, weight, length, shock angle, type of driving you expect to do ect. and custom tune the shocks to you. i was happy with my experience.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

After figuring out what I wanted(fox2.0 14") the cheapest place I found them was.... amazon Confused

They did show up but weren't packaged well and had some cosmetic scuffs, but im pretty sure that was due to poor packaging from FOX. If you're looking for support in what you want I'd try pacific customs, kartek or accutune. However I wasnt overly impressed by accutune when I tried going through them. They told me that my buggy needed 100lb springs top and bottom based off their calculations.....uh what? that's not even close. I told them it wasn't right but they came back and said "well thats what our calculations say" ok fine, I'll go elsewhere. I ended up going with 250 over 300 springs and even that is a bit soft.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

My buddy told me about a company called "RadFlo Shocks" He uses them on his Rock Crawler... Says they're a really great product! I haven't used them, or any other brand coil over or by-pass shocks, so, I'm going by what he's telling me... I'll be in the market for some coil overs for the rear of my Baja at some point when I get that far into the build...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Kartek is a good outfit. You could also get them from McKenzie's offroad.

My personal preference is King over Fox.

In the True Confessions department; I have a couple vehicles with Fox shocks, but that's due to them being on those vehicles when they were bought. In the garage there are Kings, Sway-A-Way RaceRunners, more Fox, and even some old Custers.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Kartek is a good outfit. You could also get them from McKenzie's offroad.

My personal preference is King over Fox.

In the True Confessions department; I have a couple vehicles with Fox shocks, but that's due to them being on those vehicles when they were bought. In the garage there are Kings, Sway-A-Way RaceRunners, more Fox, and even some old Custers.

why do you prefer kings?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

You don't have to go through a middle man to buy King or Fox. You can buy direct.

King because:
Better customer service, especially for the little guys, as opposed to the big name racers. The opportunity for factory testing at Barstow to get them tuned just right. Better oil.

Note that I don't see a huge difference between brands of shock. My preference is not like a Chevy guy who will tell you any car or truck that isn't a Chevy is junk. It's largely a personal preference.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Fox and King are both big $$. That is the reason my baja project came to a stop. $4K just for the shocks. What about FOA?
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
Fox and King are both big $$. That is the reason my baja project came to a stop. $4K just for the shocks. What about FOA?

You get what you pay for. Not exactly sure of the quality now, but at one point customers were receiving shocks that leaked right out of the box, without nitrogen in them. I have also seen a few have the shafts come out of the bottom rod end due to poor machining and a lack of thread locker.

How many winning race cars have you seen running FOA?

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Many years ago I worked in a hardware store. I couldn't tell you the number of times a customer said
Quote:
Show me the best widgetwhatever you have

Yes Sir. It's this one right here.

Almost 10 times out of 10 the reply was
Quote:
My God! That's $XX! Don't you have anything cheaper?

Rolling Eyes

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

JWHracing wrote:
Scott SD wrote:

You get what you pay for. Not exactly sure of the quality now, but at one point customers were receiving shocks that leaked right out of the box, without nitrogen in them. I have also seen a few have the shafts come out of the bottom rod end due to poor machining and a lack of thread locker.

"You get what you pay for" is a really popular phrase among the keyboard offroad racers over at RaceDezert.com.

Your citing it reminds me of the time there was a noob offroad guy, a young guy in his early 20s, just getting started in his career and not making a whole lot of $$, building himself a pre-run truck, because he couldn't afford to pay a fab shop to build it for him. So he got a used MIG welder and was asking about which welding shield he should get to get the best bang for his buck.

So as a professional race car fabricator myself, I provided the benefit of my own experience. When I decided to try an auto darkening shield, I tried some friend's high dollar ones and since they were battery operated, I had trouble with 2 of them flashing me because the batteries were going dead. I didn't like that. Then I found one at Harbor Freight which didn't use batteries, and bought one. I figures that at $29.99, I could try out the inexpensive one and if I liked it, I could get a fancier one for a couple or 3 hundred $$ to roll with. So I tried it and was very happy with it. In fact, I still have it and use it and never did buy an expensive one as all I've found were all battery powered. Mine has never failed me, although now decades later it's getting rather beat and if I were not retired, I would have bought a new one a few years ago.

So I told the young guy about it. Posted a link to an ad for it. Suggested that it would be a good starter for him and if he wanted a nicer one later, and could afford it, Then go for it. I caught a huge amount of grief on RDC for that, virtually every critic of my suggestion using your same phrase. "You get what you pay for." The other guys were telling him to buy a welding helmet for about $400.

So in response to the critics, I posted a link to another vendor selling the exact same welding helmet that Harbor Freight had sold me for $29.99 and normally sold for $49.99. The other vendor was a supplier for auto body shops. They offered that exact same helmet for $229.99. Only $200.00 more than I had paid and $180.00 more than the regular price for the same item. So the same fool critics all agreed that yeah, that was a much better value than buying it at Harbor Freight. and that the young man would be getting what he paid for at that higher price BECAUSE he would be paying a higher price, more in line with what they felt was a quality item.

I really could NOT believe their incredible stupidity. If it were a very different helmet with better manufacturing quality, or better features, or any other improvement, then OK. But no, it was the same item, same brand, same item number...just $200.00 more cost and they felt that because he would pay the higher price he would be getting far better quality.

PS: He PM'd me later thanking me, and told me he bought the welding helmet I recommended from the source I recommended in the 1st place.

So...FOA shocks. I know some offroad racers who have FOAs on their pre-runners that get more miles on them than their race cars and are quite happy with them for the job. I also know some who have had troubles with their FOAs. I do NOT know any racers who use them on their race cars. And I don't know if FOA is still in business.

There ARE other sources for offroad shocks. Like RDC classifieds. I don't often see them on the Samba Classifieds. But I would be cruising the offroad parts section regularly if I were looking for a set.
SoCalBajas Member
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:

I went the FOA route, 3ish years ago. I think I’ve beat the crap out of them on mountain roads and 200 mile/week as a daily. I’m happy with these shocks, or maybe I just don’t know enough to be unhappy?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
JWHracing wrote:
Scott SD wrote:

"You get what you pay for" is a really popular phrase among the keyboard offroad racers over at RaceDezert.com.

Your citing it reminds me of the time there was a noob offroad guy, a young guy in his early 20s, just getting started in his career and not making a whole lot of $$, building himself a pre-run truck, because he couldn't afford to pay a fab shop to build it for him. So he got a used MIG welder and was asking about which welding shield he should get to get the best bang for his buck.

So as a professional race car fabricator myself, I provided the benefit of my own experience. When I decided to try an auto darkening shield, I tried some friend's high dollar ones and since they were battery operated, I had trouble with 2 of them flashing me because the batteries were going dead. I didn't like that. Then I found one at Harbor Freight which didn't use batteries, and bought one. I figures that at $29.99, I could try out the inexpensive one and if I liked it, I could get a fancier one for a couple or 3 hundred $$ to roll with. So I tried it and was very happy with it. In fact, I still have it and use it and never did buy an expensive one as all I've found were all battery powered. Mine has never failed me, although now decades later it's getting rather beat and if I were not retired, I would have bought a new one a few years ago.

So I told the young guy about it. Posted a link to an ad for it. Suggested that it would be a good starter for him and if he wanted a nicer one later, and could afford it, Then go for it. I caught a huge amount of grief on RDC for that, virtually every critic of my suggestion using your same phrase. "You get what you pay for." The other guys were telling him to buy a welding helmet for about $400.

So in response to the critics, I posted a link to another vendor selling the exact same welding helmet that Harbor Freight had sold me for $29.99 and normally sold for $49.99. The other vendor was a supplier for auto body shops. They offered that exact same helmet for $229.99. Only $200.00 more than I had paid and $180.00 more than the regular price for the same item. So the same fool critics all agreed that yeah, that was a much better value than buying it at Harbor Freight. and that the young man would be getting what he paid for at that higher price BECAUSE he would be paying a higher price, more in line with what they felt was a quality item.

I really could NOT believe their incredible stupidity. If it were a very different helmet with better manufacturing quality, or better features, or any other improvement, then OK. But no, it was the same item, same brand, same item number...just $200.00 more cost and they felt that because he would pay the higher price he would be getting far better quality.

PS: He PM'd me later thanking me, and told me he bought the welding helmet I recommended from the source I recommended in the 1st place.

So...FOA shocks. I know some offroad racers who have FOAs on their pre-runners that get more miles on them than their race cars and are quite happy with them for the job. I also know some who have had troubles with their FOAs. I do NOT know any racers who use them on their race cars. And I don't know if FOA is still in business.

There ARE other sources for offroad shocks. Like RDC classifieds. I don't often see them on the Samba Classifieds. But I would be cruising the offroad parts section regularly if I were looking for a set.

I wish I could drag my soap box out but you pretty much said all there is to say about that subject.
nice job
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Dusty,
Hilarious. I find that for some items you can go the cheap route, but others you need to bite the bullet. All of the mechanics tools in my toolbox are old school made-in-the-usa Craftsman, but I also have a lot of Harbor Freight tools including that welding shield. I always wondered if I should look for a better welding shield, but I guess not. Thanks for the product review.

Concerning FOA, yes I have heard mixed reviews. No issue with Fox or King quality. Just the cost is tough to stomach. The Fox package is $4K, and FOA is $1600. I've been scoping the classifieds looking for used Foxs, but they are expensive as well. Going to buy a lotto ticket tomorrow.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: best coilover source? Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
Dusty,
Hilarious. I find that for some items you can go the cheap route, but others you need to bite the bullet. All of the mechanics tools in my toolbox are old school made-in-the-usa Craftsman, but I also have a lot of Harbor Freight tools including that welding shield. I always wondered if I should look for a better welding shield, but I guess not. Thanks for the product review.

Concerning FOA, yes I have heard mixed reviews. No issue with Fox or King quality. Just the cost is tough to stomach. The Fox package is $4K, and FOA is $1600.

I suppose that's what you meant by "you need to bite the bullet" LOL

Scott SD wrote:
I've been scoping the classifieds looking for used Foxs, but they are expensive as well. Going to buy a lotto ticket tomorrow.

Rolling Eyes
Cool

Funny part of this is that the Chenowth my son and I recently bought for less than the market $$ for the used Fox coilovers on it. And all the rest of it was gravy.

So maybe you need to look at creative shopping?[/b] Think
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: