Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

not my model but an interesting d(io)rama seen on facebook... Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think there would be damage to the quayside stonework and oil/petrol on the water - maybe even a floating feldmutze cap! wonder what they did with the front half of the model?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow pretty amazing, yeah, can i have the front 1/2? does need more damage to the wall, but very well done
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My latest non tank project in 1/35 from Tamiya. Still gotta do decals and details.

brad
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

looking good, i have not done a 1:35 in decades, got 1 in the que
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
looking good, i have not done a 1:35 in decades, got 1 in the que

I got back into it Oct,2020 after not building one for 30 years, since then I've built about 40 and a half dozen 1/16 tanks including my current project King Tiger with full interior. The Schwimmer is smaller than the engine in the Tiger LOL Much more relaxing than building 1:1 scale stuff.

brad
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I like your other builds as well.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Amazing work!!! Well done. I like the sunken swim. Looks like Elbeuf retreat
over the Seine. :shock

And the King-Tiger-Bug Very Happy

Salut

Alex
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

So I got my hands on a couple of these:

Revell makes this Brilliant Orange passenger bus version as well as what looks like Dakota Beige in a Westfalia version. Given that my real bus is an orange "Restfalia" (Riviera with Westy interior), you just know I needed one of each model to replicate my bus. But first I decided to build a beige passenger bus out of the extra parts...

The kit's contents were impressive. And happily the Westfalia kit also included the standard roof panel in addition to the pop top parts. Nice.

I should note that I have not built a model kit in decades. I did a lot when I was a kid, but that was back in the late '70's and early '80's. Time to break out the old modeling box. Those Testors paints are a bit worse for wear. Dad always said I would forget models once I started building real cars. He was right...

I was not intending to paint anything on this kit, but it was necessary to do the various lights. The 20 plus year old Tamiya paints still worked great, and more importantly still SMELLED great!

This kit is pretty awesome quality compared to the ancient stuff I built in the past. I remember the days when Revell kits were the worst quality compared to AMT, MPC, and Monogram. Obviously not the case anymore. This kit contained two decal sheets; one proper decals, the other stickers of nice quality. I actually tried out the stickers and they look great. Amazing Revell gives you choices of things like MPH vs KM speedos, and even different versions of the fuel gauge cluster are included. Pretty cool...

Continued...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

And here is the finished product. I realized after taking pictures on the bright yellow towel changed the appearance of the plastic. It looks more Savannah Beige in these pictures, but the real colour is more yellowish.

Amazingly enough, this is actually a snap together kit. Everything fit together perfectly. Look at those panel gaps. All doors and hatches open.

Even the slider door works nicely. One thing to note. The US style side marker lights are included, but the instructions make no mention of this, and you have to drill your own holes to install them. Nice that Revell includes parts to build both European and US market versions. They also include a lot of different license plates on the decal sheets.

Engine is a reasonably detailed Type 4 with factory type dual carbs. If it was paint detailed, it would look very decent. Note the back side of the compartment lid is accurate in the moldings. The rear hatches fit so accurately to the body, that it is hard to tell they even open.

Step inside and start er up!

I did make a few changes from box stock. Revell includes proper license plate mounts for the front and back, but I chose to attach the plate stickers directly to the bumpers. Revell includes a nice spare tire and rim, but intends this for a front mount on the body. I installed it inside like a normal passenger bus. And of course this is built combining parts from two different kits. I will do the Riviera sometime later, as I have not decided how far to go with making it an accurate representation of the real bus...

One thing I will say though. This is my first model that was designed on a computer, and it certainly shows. The fit and finish of the parts just blew my mind compared to what we had 40 years ago. Mind you so did the price of these things now. Damn I am getting old...
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Bravo! Welcome back to modeling.

I'm also an admirer of these kits, though I resist building anything modern. Still, this is the baywindow kit I always imagined. Maybe one day ...

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

nice job, i too was out of modeling for a couple decades, good to get back too it, i tend to stay away from snap togethers, but this bus does look real nice
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
i tend to stay away from snap togethers

I think most of us who have built and want to build, do, but the number of Bay model kits out there is exceptionally limited. I too bought these kits and look forward to making a replica of my former Dakota Beige Westy Not sure if I want to cover up the orange with Neptune Blue paint to replicate my formerly owned tin top Riviera. Gonna have to get that drag bug done first....now where did I put that spare time... Laughing

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Anybody make stock type wheels for that would fit my aoshima 1/24 1303 kit? It has some hideous chrome alloys included Embarassed

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

surely someone has some stock rims, but worst case, i could resin cast you some based on an example
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Volktales wrote:

And here is the finished product...

Thanks for sharing Volktales! Nice job and I especially like the custom touches you added. I also enjoyed seeing your pictures and hearing about the details of this kit. I'm looking forward to your Riviera build.

I've been watching this kit on ebay and too am surprised how expensive these kits are going for. I have 2 brothers who own or have owned bay window buses (except theirs are earlier low lights), and both who would probably enjoy a snap together kit.

Now that I've seen the end results, I just need an excuse to pick one (or two) up.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Jack, you will like this kit. I was very impressed with the fit of pretty much every part. Except don't do what I did, and cut off the mirror locater pins by mistake... Embarassed It will be awhile before I get to the Restfalia kit. Trying to finish off my 1/1 scale Ghia at the moment. Should probably build a model of that someday, too. In fact I hope to build models of all my favourite full size vehicles someday...
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I thought I’d bump this sticky to the top of the list – hard to believe its been over a year and haven’t posted anything. There have been a number of setback with this kit, not least of which was that I tore a couple tendons on my right hand. I realized doing anything left handed takes twice as long.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

looks good, these things take time
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

That's sensational!

I've been looking for those figures to display with my bus, but it's really hard to find them loose or included with a wreck or parts donor, and not to have to cannibalize a complete (expensive) kit.

Heinz Nordhoff
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow! i love the sunroof, you did a great job making it look so real.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 60

Jump to: