Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender beading/running board dye
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
deno314
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a shop or company that can color match vinyl paint/dye. Im tryin to match bahama blue for my fender beading and running boards I have been unsuccessful in my efforts thus far at finding a shop locally here in sacramento ca. I'd even be willing to ship a part of my car to anywhere in the world to have them color match it. im pretty desperate at this point.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

I believe you can get SEM vinyl paint matched.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
deno314
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

ive heard that some automotive paint supply stores match SEM vinyl dye. but i don't have any of those places in my area
deno314
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

bump
54smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

After a search on the SEM dealer website, I found this paint store that might be able to mix some spray cans with vinyl dye to use on your fender beading and floor mats. 1388 South 700 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Also this place 1388 South 700 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84104
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

Light and dark blue beading is available from SSP. The link is for a UK company, but I'm sure there are US suppliers. Are either of these close to the colour you need?

Maybe it would be good to start with one of these and then dye them. At least if the dye comes off you'd still have blue underneath.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=wing%20beading%20blue
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Light and dark blue beading is available from SSP. The link is for a UK company, but I'm sure there are US suppliers. Are either of these close to the colour you need?

Maybe it would be good to start with one of these and then dye them. At least if the dye comes off you'd still have blue underneath.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=wing%20beading%20blue

Believe it or not you can dye some vinyls and many types o f plastics..permanently (UV fading aside).....with RIT dye.

Its a trade secret of master model builders. Its used for instance to dye styrene plastic permanently. Its used to make realistic green, blue and gray tinted glass on model cars and aircraft. Just dip it in. The longer it soaks the deeper the color gets.

Rit dye is actually a pretty serious mix of acid dyes, disperse dyes and direct dyes so it works on a huge variety of synthetic and non synthetics.

Its dirt cheap. Give it a try...but clear coat it with a matte vinyl spray when done. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

I wanted to do the same thing. I bought some of this in dark blue for my VW BLUE 67' Bug. I have not installed it yet but it looks like it will work in person. The flange is not quite as wide as the original beading but its wide enough to get secured in the seam. This color looks close
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Welt-Piping-Marine-Vinyl-...890.l49292
JordyK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

deno314, I'm in the exact same boat with my Bahama Blue 65. Did you ever get around to dying the running boards and beading? I would like to see how it turned out for you if you did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fender beading/running board dye Reply with quote

You can't dye it, so you have to paint it.
L 519 Bahama Blue paint can be mixed at your local Auto Paint shop or ordered online.
The Diamond Blue exterior repaint on my square matches the original interior paint real close.
We used black fender beading for the contrast!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: