Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which route would you go for?
Subaru EJ22 swap with 6 rib built Rancho trans
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Powerhaus 2332 @ 175hp / 180tq with 6 rib built Rancho trans
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 29

67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I am on the cusp of deciding on a motor for my new hightop build on a 69. I have done so much research, I have stalled my thought process out. SO...curious what the brain trust at TheSamba think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Gonna be a tough crowd here. I bet more people vote for The Subie.

I on the other hand still like to keep my Aircooled Volkswagens Aircooled. What’s the specs on the 2332? Case, crank, cam, rods, compression, bearings, heads, cooling, t-stat, carbs, clutch, exhaust? Like all the specs. Just because it’s big, doesn’t mean it’s built with quality parts. Unless it’s got a radical cam and high compression, I highly doubt that 2332 will make 175hp at the wheels tho. And those are two things will you don’t really want in a large displacement bus engine. 8.0 to 8.5:1 compression would be preferred because it keeps temps down and something like a 110 or 120 cam gives you nice low end power to get the bus moving. Realistically your gonna drive between 3500 and 4000 rpms, so you don’t want a cam that makes power at 5500. You want something that runs out of power at 4500, it’s all about the torque in the bus.

Personally, I have a CB speced 2275 in my bus and I LOVE it! It’s well built, balanced, has good power, gets good millage and is a blast to drive. Everyone wants something different out of their VW experience, what do you want?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I want to move down the road at 65 but pass when I want to. I would like to pull 500lbs at times and I would like to be at 35-40 say going over the Tetons. Longevity and torque to get the hightop off the line are concerns. I am very confident in the Powerhaus product. I am very confident in the person I chose for the Subaru swap. The swap is about twice the cost, so I am wondering what am I getting for that extra cost that I couldn't get out of a top notch vw powerplant.

Powerhaus build sheet below. I would also run a suggested SS exhaust, remote oil cooler w/ thermostat, and suggested fuel pump and filter.

100% BRAND NEW PARTS- Not Rebuilt & No Core Needed

ENGINE CASE- Autolinea Aluminum Super Case, Full Flow, Shuffle Pin
CRANKSHAFT- 84mm 4340 Chromoly Counter Weighted, 8 Dowel
RODS- H-Beam, Chevy Journal, 5/16 ARP Bolts
CAMSHAFT- Engle or Scat with Steel Straight Cut Gears
LIFTERS- Scat Light Weight
FLYWHEEL- 8 Dowel Forged Chromoly Lighten
GLAND NUT- Scat Chromoly with Washer
MAIN BEARINGS- Standard Steel Center
ROD BEARINGS- Standard Clevite
CAM BEARINGS- Double Thrust
OIL PUMP- PH 30mm Cast with Billet Full Flow Cover
DEEP SUMP- 1.5 Quart
OIL PLATE- PH Billet Aluminum O-Ring
HEAD STUDS- Chromoly with Nuts
PISTONS & CYLINDERS- 94mm with C-Clip Retainers
PUSHROD TUBES- PH Billet Double O-Ring
HEADS- PH 42x37 CNC Ported, Stainless Valves, 12mm Spark Plug Holes
PUSHRODS- Manton Chromoly
ROCKERS- PH Forged 1.25 Ratio
VALVE COVER- Heavy Duty Aluminum or Empi GT Channel
GASKETS- German Complete
BALANCED ROTATING ASSEMBLY
CARBURETION- Dual 44IDF Weber Carburetors,Hex Bar Linkage,Manifolds,Chrome Air Cleaners,Fuel Hose
SHEET METAL- Black or Chrome Doghouse Fan Shroud,Front,Rear,Pulley & Dual Port Cylinder Tins,Breast Plate
CHARGING- 12Volt Alternator,Billet Pulley & Nut,Stainless Steel Strap,Welded Fan,Lower Crank Pulley Nut
UPGRADES INCLUDED- Black Laser Aluminum Crank Pulley,Billet Fuel Pump Block,Billet Dip Stick,Billet Filler Neck
IGNITION- Magna Spark Distributor,Billet Clamp,Dry Pack Coil,8mm Spark Plug Wires
OIL COOLING- Doghouse Oil Cooler,Oil Pressure Sender

EXHAUST AND CLUTCH KITS ARE NOT INCLUDED, PLEASE E-MAIL OR CALL WITH SPECIFIC YEAR, MAKE AND MODEL SO WE CAN SET YOU UP WITH THE CORRECT SYSTEM
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Oh, and my transmission is a 6 rib built by Rancho. Super diff, new ring and pinion, 2nd, and 4th.

I also understand that horsepower isn't at the tires, but the upgrade for the additional weight is what I was underscoring. No matter what I do, the transmission is going to be the weakest link. I understand this. Rancho said the next step up starts at $7500 and probably ends around the $11K range. I already have this transmission built and am going to run it. If weight is the enemy, and the transmission is the weakness.....then why pay double for the Subaru swap????

Last edited by 67sash on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

dollar for dollar you can't beat a subaru. real obd2 FI, 170 horse and support from every dealer in the USA.

2.5 short blocks are still about 1800 from the dealer. add another 1k to have your heads fully rebuilt... i mean valves, guides, seals etc and there is no way you are building that kind of HP for 2800 in aircooled form.

now granted, you'll need a regeared trans and a cooling system but cruising 70+ turning 3300 rpms is a beautiful thing. you can literally talk to the guy in the back seat...not yell, talk.

DIY subaru conversions with a regeared trans seem to be in the 5-7k range. i have yet to meet someone who regretted their decision

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

also i'd go 2.5 not 2.2

2.2's are ok, but long in the tooth and the idle air control setup is a pain in the ass.

you should be able to change your ring and pinion. 11k for a trans? no fucking way. Matt Steedle will to a top shelf regear for about 3k

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
dollar for dollar you can't beat a subaru. real obd2 FI, 170 horse and support from every dealer in the USA.

2.5 short blocks are still about 1800 from the dealer. add another 1k to have your heads fully rebuilt... i mean valves, guides, seals etc and there is no way you are building that kind of HP for 2800 in aircooled form.

now granted, you'll need a regeared trans and a cooling system but cruising 70+ turning 3300 rpms is a beautiful thing. you can literally talk to the guy in the back seat...not yell, talk.

DIY subaru conversions with a regeared trans seem to be in the 5-7k range. i have yet to meet someone who regretted their decision

I have been hearing some Subaru shops around the country are turning these swaps away. Wont work on them because its custom. Similar to my experience with Harley Davidson...wouldn't work on my chopper even though it was a crate EVO motor. It was a custom application. Maintenance and your comment about noise is valid. However, the joy of not listening to the wife the entire roundtrip has its advantages as well Very Happy

Last edited by 67sash on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Skills is right, the Subie is better. But it’s not for everyone, just yet anyway.

I just did a quick search and it looks like that Powerhouse engine is $8500. No offense, but for that kind of money I’d by buying a Pat Downs built CB turn key engine. At least then you'd know you got all high end parts and a competent builder.

https://www.cbperformance.com/default.asp
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Skills is right, the Subie is better. But it’s not for everyone, just yet anyway.

I just did a quick search and it looks like that Powerhouse engine is $8500. No offense, but for that kind of money I’d by buying a Pat Downs built CB turn key engine. At least then you'd know you got all high end parts and a competent builder.

https://www.cbperformance.com/default.asp

Well the Subaru swap will total around $16k-$18K. Powerhaus is very highly recommended and my conversation with John left me very impressed. I understand the history and the quality that Pat Downs has, I just have some history with big advertising motor builders and I don't want to go down that path again. That being said, I know Pat's craftmanship would leave me very happy.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

The powerhouse build sheet leaves a lot to be desired.

Try Arizona Transaxle for one if you need one. $11k is silky.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
The powerhouse build sheet leaves a lot to be desired.

Try Arizona Transaxle for one if you need one. $11k is silky.

I am not a engine guy....lol. That is for sure. I can do almost anything on a Baywindow except push that pin on the ignition tumbler, find a operating 73 turn signal switch switch, and build the internals of a transmission or engine. I would love to hear your thoughts on that build sheet, that is why I posted it. I am loyal to my checkbook on this decision. Best Build I can get for my budget. If that's the Subaru swap then the price is the price. If its the VW build, same thing.
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I should state, the next step up on the transmission would be a Mendeola. Just to be clear.
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Just called CB Performance. Pat Downs has retired and CB is unsure if they will be building and selling turnkey motors. Currently not building or selling motors.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
You can literally talk to the guy in the back seat...not yell, talk.

Inspired by your comment I'm adding "yell-talk" to my vocabulary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

67sash wrote:
I should state, the next step up on the transmission would be a Mendeola. Just to be clear.

I don’t know what a Mendeola is.

But I have been driving 2L Aircooled stroker engines for 10 years and I’ve learned it’s not about going faster, it’s about maintaining speed. I would suggest sticking with the stock 002 transaxle. A high top is heavy and once you pack and fill all your camping gear, it’s going to be really heavy. You would really benefit from the lower end of a 002 to move that heavy bus.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Rich, I would be interested in your build sheet thoughts. Skills you too. Or anyone that has an opinion.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

i don't know why you'd be looking at a mendeola trans. i literally have 15+ swaps done on a regeared vw trans, from 002's to 091's and not one transmission failure

i beat mine like a rented mule. everyone else drives conservatively and just changes the gear oil on a regular basis.

your 16-18k number is having it done by a shop. like i said, DIY is far less and honestly that 16-18k number is out the window with what's been going on in the country these days.

for me, it isn't worth building aircooled stuff anymore unless it's for myself...even then the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

i have 2 conversions slated for this year, and possibly a 3rd. it's all preference, but everyone i have spoken to is tired of having their trips knocked out by engine issues.

some guys get away with just shoving new parts into a new case and having ok results which is fine, but for the cost of stuff...

an empty 1600 case is over 1k once you ship it. decent heads another 1k+ you have already spent more than a brand new factory shortblock and you still need a crank, cam, pistons, lifters etc.

a bunch of years ago i did a 1904 for my camper. nice little engine. did it myself. cost me 5k out of pocket and about 80 hours to build. not worth it to me anymore

it all depends on your expectations. want dead nuts get in and go with just oil changes for the next 70k? go subaru. if you want to dick with carbs, timing and valve adjustments every 3k go air cooled

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I've driven both. 2x cost for an engine 4x as good is a no brainer.

Further Performance in the twin cities will set you up nicely.

For those in the market these days, Powerhaus doesn't include the clutch kit or exhaust for $8500. Add another 1-2k for those parts.

67sash wrote:
I want to move down the road at 65 but pass when I want to. I would like to pull 500lbs at times and I would like to be at 35-40 say going over the Tetons. Longevity and torque to get the hightop off the line are concerns. I am very confident in the Powerhaus product. I am very confident in the person I chose for the Subaru swap. The swap is about twice the cost, so I am wondering what am I getting for that extra cost that I couldn't get out of a top notch vw powerplant.

Sounds like you need a German 1600 single port Laughing .

Have you talked to folks that have lived with those engines for years? That's what matters- not the opinions of people taking your money.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

First, that sucks about Pat.
Second, Skills is right. The Subie will be more reliable, will require less maintenance and will last longer.

67sash wrote:
Rich, I would be interested in your build sheet thoughts. Skills you too. Or anyone that has an opinion.

Skills will not give up his Subie secrets, those are his trade secrets and we should all understand that.

Here’s my Bus build:

2275cc
8.13:1 compression
CB White Rhino case w/custom full flow
CB CNC ported 044 super mag heads
CB 82mm crank, balanced
CB H-Beam rods
Mahle pistons 94mm
Total seal rings
Engle 110 cam
Engle lifters
CB Straight cut cam gears
Real 009 with pertronix module
Silverline main bearings
Mahle HD double thrust cam bearings
OG flywheel, faced and balanced
OG cooling fan
KEP stage 1 clutch
New Spanish Weber IDF40s with CB linkage, velocity stacks and hard fuel lines
Brosol fuel pump
T4 oil cooler, tins were modified for this
Velocity ring
Working T-Stat and flaps
New Bosch alternator
CB Equalizer 6lb crank pulley
CB aluminum alternator pulley
Bosch blue coil
OG heat exchangers
VS Sport exhaust
30mm oil pump with Berg relief cover
1.5 qt sump
Solid rocker shafts with swivel feet adjusters
OG valve covers with cork gaskets
OG German cooling tins
Oil temp gauge
Oil pressure gauge
DD head temp gauge

Here’s the long block specs on my Beetle engine:

2109cc
9:1 compression
AS41 case
CB 76mm crank, balanced
CB 5.6 H-Beam rods
94mm Mahle pistions
Berg 297-A cam
CB straight cut cam gears
CB 044 heads with dual valve springs
Solid rocker shafts with swivel feet adjusters
CB 26mm oil pump with filter
Silverline main bearings
Mahle HD double thrust cam bearings
Lightened stock flywheel, balanced

There are links to both of my builds in my signature line. I’m more the. Happy to answer any questions I can.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Skills will not give up his Subie secrets, those are his trade secrets and we should all understand that..

there are no secrets to give up. i buy my engines direct from the dealer, Matt Steedle does all my trans work and Jeff Robenolt does all of my harness work.

I focus on assembly and making it look like it belongs there.

if you want, p/m me who you chose to do your swap. i can tell you what i know about them. i have done 3 "re-do's" to date and trust me, you don't want to be in that boat.

and i'll add.... i could care less if you ask me for help in your swap or not, i just don't want to see another person get fucked by mediocrity.... because all of a sudden there are a lot of "subaru guru's" out there when in fact they are just in it for the money....and i can tell you this...there ain't a lot of money in it for the shops. i make more money shoveling cabin filters into european junk than i do when i build a conversion.

if these guys are offering you a 'good used' or a 'rebuilt' engine....fucking run because they still are available NEW from the dealer for less than their rebuild

and for what it's worth.... you mention being "true to your checkbook" and all i can say is this... you should have a budget in mind no doubt, but you should also look at it as an open checkbook build.

after thinking about this today, if CB lost PD and didn't replace him with another builder, or someone he trained....that should speak volumes about what is going on in the industry. most of the good builders are aged out at this point or just so fed up with the junk parts and high expectations they say "fuck it"

because guess what, your 8k aircooled is still going to have a snot of oil hanging off the oil pump after about 3k miles, same with the sump.

if you're pushing a high top, i wouldn't consider an aircooled at all. that's the same reason the owner of this high top went subaru:

Link

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: