Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I had to do bearings this way I also used a hard piece of wood between the hammer and the bearing.

Nice write-up! Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

Wish I found this thread a couple days ago. Great pics! I've got it all apart now, but this would have helped a lot.

syncromikey wrote:
Make sure you don't push it tight against the bearing carrier as you'll squish the seal. Just push it in enough so it contacts and spreads the lip on the seal a bit. Compare it to your pictures to make sure it is in the same place it was when you took it apart.

Can someone explain this better? It sounds like the hub "centering on the seals" is arbitrary, where one seal could be squished flat and the opposing seal with little pressure (?). This sounds like a recipe for disaster - statistically, many vehicles will be assembled wrong, and fail. I rarely see "arbitrary" assembly in VW designs..... So can someone explain this better? Or is this just a temporary assembly position, where torquing the axle nut (258 ft-lbs) then sets the final position (& proper seal squish)?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

I just took my hubs off to install longer studs and it was fairly straight forward.
I have new bearings on hand but the existing bearing looks close to perfect. Are these not reusable and if so, why not? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

Your picture is not close up enough, but if you go back to the beginning of this thread and look at your replacement bearings, both sides of the bearings have seals that are part of the original assembly. When you pressed your hub out, you probably disturbed that seal. I am not talking about the external seals pressed into the housing. I think if you press the hub back into the bearing, you won't know if that inner seal installed properly. It is difficult for me to explain.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

MarkWard you say you'll not be sure if that seal lip will fold under or end up correctly? I agree thats possible.

When the factory assembles that bearing they force it together. The inner and outer race deform a little to let the balls pass over the larger diameter. Maybe with heat/cold too? If you just cram it back together, remember there is a spindle supporting the inside diameter and the outer diameter is pressed into the suspension knuckle. The races can't flex.

Maybe its possible but you'd have to remove both parts from their bearing lands, and the inner one would be real difficult. There could be more reasons but these are some that come to mind.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

It seems reasonable to take one apart and inspect (for damage from disassembly). Then cram it back together (as a test), see how it goes together. Then yank it apart again and inspect carefully again.

vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

I decided to replace mine anyway as they appear original factory bearings.

But I am almost certain these don't necessarily need to be replaced every time the inner hub is removed. It's just a simple bearing press in seal.

Also, mine came apart cleanly, cage intact others might disassemble upon removal.

My bearing race puller didn't fit in the parallel groves so I just made some groves on the race itself to make it easy. Slid right off in the press.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Dang it photobucket. I'm really needing those photos on page 1. Anyone know of another good pictorial or video on this procedure? Thanks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Syncromikey is still active here, contact him, he is probably unaware of the broken links.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Old thread, but a good one. Was looking to do this but was skeptical I could indeed get it done.

After reading this I believe I can, so many thanks for taking the time to educate and embolden us.

Looking at different race pullers and reading that a couple didn't really fit without cutting grooves can you advise a brand and model number of one you've used without modifying anything.

I also do not have a press, but don't mind the investment. usually I buy only high end stuff, just because I'm old and do not enjoy fighting with cheap tools. In this case though I'm leaning toward something cheap that will work, I really do not see using it much. Will one of the cheap 12 or 14 ton Northern or HF pesses get it done without much fuss?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261708#9261708

I did it all with a bearing press kit. I have a press too, so that was an option. I think it's easier to do this job with the bearing kit though.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9261708#9261708

I did it all with a bearing press kit. I have a press too, so that was an option. I think it's easier to do this job with the bearing kit though.

Another good thread, thanks for sharing it here. I can go with a bearing press kit. What brand did you use?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

It's an unbranded kit that a friend gave me. It looks exactly like this kit though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284014710430?epid=2290098927&hash=item4220988e9e:g:bUwAAOSwbKVcPF~y
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal ... A pictorial ... Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
But I am almost certain these don't necessarily need to be replaced every time the inner hub is removed. It's just a simple bearing press in seal.

Here's the grooves that the balls make on the bearing race when you pull a Syncro bearing off.
Keep in mind that the steel bearing race material... is so hard you need carbide to drill it.
Hit it with a centerpunch, it flattens the tip of your punch.
And yet your bearing balls mashed a groove into it.

It's likely that each ball has two flat spots, ready to fatigue and shed some skin.
Upon reassembly, each ball gains two more flat spots.

But.... there's lots of ball surface that has NOT been dented !
Kind of like sledge-hammering the rear bearings to get the rear wheel axle nut off.
It could run tens of thousands of miles more.
And failure doesn't leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Could be OK if you intend to disassemble again soon for some other reason.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Super great thread, thank you to the OP.

I’m also curious the answer to two questions posted above by other members, that I don’t see answered.

A) does the direction of letters on the bearing actually matter? I’m just realizing I pressed one in one way and one the other way… skf bearings purchased from Burley. Pretty sure they looked symmetrical to me.

B) is the “press the hub until the seal kinda squishes” instruction really the only measurement for how far to press the hub, or is there something more concrete? I actually came looking and found this thread specifically because I was confused at this lack of information in the Bentley
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

I press bearings in until they stop moving inwards. And then a little bit more to make sure. You can tell when a bearing bottoms out. I wouldn't use something as nebulous as "the seal kinda squishes."
smithprocess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

The question is about the hub depth into the bearing, not the bearing itself. The bearing has a positive stop on the shelf at the rear of the steering upright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

Applies to the hub too.
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro front wheel bearing removal: A pictorial... Reply with quote

In progress on this front bearing replacement and a concern popped up.
Using a bearing kit from Harbor Freight (Maddox MC21-1) and it's very helpful for the task. Both driver's (left) and passenger side hubs came out and went back in smoothly. Driver's bearing went in smoothly, but the passenger side went in too smoothly. Did not even have to use the press except to get the bearing to bottom out against the stop at the last. After installing the C clip, outer seal, hub, and then inner seal, set the assembly on the bench with the wheel studs pointing down and steady things. Then rocked the steering knuckle back and forth to check for play. Sure enough, there is noticeable (but not huge) play between the knuckle and the bearing. I can imagine this will be a problem when finally mounting the wheel. Should I be concerned? Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: