Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grabber ATX Drivers
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

Between these two sizes, 205/75/15 & 215/75/15, which is the preferred size for on/off (dirt roads) road travel? Why?

Is the extra .6 inches in height noticeable?

There is a difference of 153 lbs per corner, does it matter?

There's a three pound weight difference.

If you take a curb weight of 2465 (camper) and a max payloadload of 2000 lbs
it would be 4464 GVW. Or 1116 lbs per corner, right? The 205 tire has a max load of 1609 and the 215 puts up 1764.

It appears either tire will support more than enough weight.

Ply rating on these is SL is there any stability issues on the highway?

I'm putting new tires on as soon as the engine is back in.

Thanks in advance for the input.

dgsaz
turbo_g
Father of Samba Cookie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

I run 205/75R15 on my 63 Subhatch. No problems. I camp, do some minor off road, even some sandy desert driving/camping.

When I camp, I'm pretty loaded down, my bus handles great with this setup.

They "sing" a little bit on the freeway but I can still hold a conversation at normal levels. Good road feel, good off road capabilities.

My $0.02
SV2s Member #425
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

I just mounted a set of 215 grabbers on my 59 panel. I was running a 205/75/15 van tire before and the extra height isn't noticeable at all to me. what was noticeable right away was the extra weight of the tires when accelerating. I have a 1600 sp so be prepared for that if you have a smaller engine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

I have 205/75r15 Grabbers on my Westy Syncro. They have plenty of weight rating to work on a splitty. I went down a size from 215 because that .6 inch of tire height noticeably affected torque at highway speeds. Before you say "apples and oranges", consider that our little air cooled engines need to rev. Now, if you're after a trophy for "biggest meats", then go for it. Wink
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

Does anyone see an issue with running 205's in the font and 215 in the rear?

dgsaz
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

I decided to go with the 215's rear and the 205's up front. Contacted Discount Tire to order the tires and was told that General is no longer making the Grabber ATX in 205 or 215.

The smallest available through Discount Tire was 235 75 15. I was able to find the tires through Tire Rack. The 215's arrive yesterday and I expect the 205's today.

I believe the smallest BF Goodrich AT is 225 75 15.

I located a shop that will mount and balance. I'm taking off the Thunderer Rangers. Too much tire for a 2500 pound bus. If anyone would like to try the Rangers, you can have them for a $100. Carry on.

dgsaz
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

Check your info source.

Tirerack.com shows all those tires and sizes as available.

Grabber 205's and 215's
BFG's in 215/75/15

Looks like the BFG's are back ordered. Which I think has been the case for a minute. I tried to put a set together for a friend a few months back and the BFG's where backordered then as well. I ended up ordering the 215 grabbers. Hopefully that doesn't mean the BFG's aren't discontinued just disrupted like everything else in this moment.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

sehilliard1 wrote:
Check your info source.

Tirerack.com shows all those tires and sizes as available.

Grabber 205's and 215's
BFG's in 215/75/15

Looks like the BFG's are back ordered. Which I think has been the case for a minute. I tried to put a set together for a friend a few months back and the BFG's where backordered then as well. I ended up ordering the 215 grabbers. Hopefully that doesn't mean the BFG's aren't discontinued just disrupted like everything else in this moment.

They are available currently through Tire Rack. Discount Tire on the other hand has only 235's.

That said, those sizes are no longer being produced. They are still producing the 14" version and according to their web page the smallest 15" size available is 235 75 15.

https://generaltire.com/sites/default/files/tires/files/GT19_Grabber_ATx_ProductFlyer_v2_Print.pdf

Glad I got mine.

dgsaz
sehilliard1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grabber ATX Drivers Reply with quote

Wow.

It should would be sad to lose access to the Grabber for our buses.

I run the 27 X 8.5 X 14 on my 67 Sundial. I have the BFG 215/75/15 on my double cab. But if those sizes are going to go away for the Grabber there will be some serious disappointment as many are fans of them.

Thanks for calling out the change.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: