Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Clearance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

Is there a standard tolerance to ensure that I don't cut too much? How much would the set screws 'ideally' protrude above the lock nut?
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

Revisited photos - there may be only a single hefty shim beneath assembly bolts. It's coming off

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

kimkinzie wrote:
Revisited photos - there may be only a single hefty shim beneath assembly bolts. It's coming off

Looks like there might be a washer under the shit too.
We'll find out tomorrow.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

You have multiple issues that all need to be addressed.

Order this.
https://www.amazon.com/LAIWOO-Professional-Indicat...s9dHJ1ZQ==

You will use it many times on the next engine build. You will also need to buy or build and adjustable push rod tool.

It’s hard to tell which style adjuster screws you have. They look to be either the elephant feet, or the swivel ball courier style. If they are the swivel ball style, take them all off and throw them in a swamp somewhere, and buy some elephant feet.
Pull the rockers off, and get the rocker arms cut back so the elephant feet have some room to move. Tabari does this very nicely, but you can do it on a bench grinder in a pinch.

Next get rid of all those damn shims under the rocker blocks. Start from zero. Use the indicator and the adjustable push rod to figure out your correct geometry for YOUR cam in YOUR case. Nobody can tell you what YOUR push rod length will need to be. Every engine is different depending on parts, and machine work. It must be measured.

Once you figure out the correct push rod length you can have your push rods cut down, but I would toss them in the same swamp as the adjusters. Aluminum push rods are 10x better.

After you get it all back together you will no longer have the valve cover interference issue, the nuts will be fully engaged on the studs, the geometry will be correct, the adjuster will have room to be adjusted, the valve guides will have a chance at life, it will probably be quieter, and you will have learned something.

Denting the valve covers is obviously not the cure to your multiple problems here. Don’t feel bad. This is super typical of a shade tree VW engine build. Lots of small details are always missed. Denting valve covers is a shade tree fix for a problem that shouldn’t be happening.

Brian
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

@Brian_E - brilliant summary of the entire thread, thanks a million for the link - micrometer measurement tool ordered & on way via Amazon.

The clearance issue came about only after having been able to remove valve covers and do adjustment for 1st time ever (my first VW service in 40 years) - #1-#2 was baked in place with foul gasket sealant. There have been multitudes of running issues encountered, of which this is the first work on engine internals (work so far has been on just getting it able to drive highway speeds in last 2 weeks above 4000 RPM). There are build issues and balancing problems ~everywhere~, but this is just part of the sorting process. With less that 2,000 miles on a fresh crate build, it is wonder this car is alive at all. I assume that is what you get when you value bling over running condition ...

Samba build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=763854
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

Quote:
nice to verify a 420-430 crank lift
You mean the camshaft lift, not the crankshaft stroke length.

Also, when you are working on your Ghia on the street for the muffler, there's a photo in your original Ghia thread which will need attention soon. You are missing the 2-piece stock-style clamp that holds the right pipe of the header to the heat exchanger (HE) pipe end.

There is also a sealing ring that goes inside of the clamp shell that seals the HE pipe to the header's flared end. That ring can be either of a wire-reinforced asbestos-like material, or a woven fine wire. That same clamp might also be missing from the left side lower header pipe. Without the clamp, the header has only a coincidental press fit onto the HE pipe. The clamp helps to hold it firmly to the HE pipe. The seal helps prevent exhaust gases from blowing out, or ambient air from being pulled in (your occasional backfire on deceleration).

Unfortunately, to fit that 1-piece sealing ring, you need to pull the header off the engine. For that, you should also have the diamond-shaped gaskets on hand that fit between the header's upper flange to the head.

Another stopgap method to hold the lower header pipe to the HE pipe but avoid pulling off the header, is to use this type of clamp, after pushing the header/muffler frontwards so that the header pipe is pushed as far forward onto the HE pipe. Use anti-seize on the clamp nuts along with lockwashers. This type of clamp should be stocked by any decent FLAPS; try the 1 1/2" size first. Then smear some hi-temp RTV onto the header flange's forward-facing exposed open flare to create the air seal. But then you need to let the RTV fully cure overnight before you start the engine.
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

just for the mufflers (Amazon loves this car)

hardware in the mail:

Beck Arnley 039-6241 Tailpipe Install Kit
Exhaust Nut Set, Clearanced, Brass, Compatible with Dune Buggy

gasket kits:

Fel-Pro MS225703 Intake & Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set
Steel Stinger Gasket, for Small 3 Bolt Flange

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
nice to verify a 420-430 crank lift
You mean the camshaft lift, not the crankshaft stroke length.

yes, I may have got the term messed up - and my reason for insisting on the micrometer to get the 1/2 lift mark absolutely correct. I realized that the egg shape of the cam lobe doesn't 'allow' you to simply dial in .. say .. the 90 degree mark on the crankshaft since there is no linear relationship between angle and lift - it has to be *measured*, and therefore my careful noting that a 420-430 lift *might* be assumed, but is not yet confirmed.

The tool makes all the difference
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

I don't want you to take this as a smartass comment, but I recommend repairing your floor pans before driving. One big bump and you could be in big trouble
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

absolutely not .. it all comes down to a matter of sequencing

I need to build some welding skills before I take on that task .. it is already on my list. I visited a local repair shop that does a *LOT* of bug restorations, fine metal welding, and detail work. The projects that they would finish for $100-$200 in a quick patch panel, tack weld, or whatever was required are long gone. They now ring the cash register at $2k-$3k a pop from insurance, and my jobs are far below their radar. I was lucky enough to find an old school welder tucked behind in our local industrial complex who is gonna charge me $20 for some seam welds on the muffler pipes. He offered quite a number of suggestions on how to get the ball rolling (local community college, etc.) but my interest was more in the types of material that could be patched (in particular Aluminum) and he led me through a short MIG tutorial. Amazing stuff. As Tony Stark says .. "I want one"

Link

yes. the pans stink, but it's not raining, and the engine take priority
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

plus .. it's only me as test pilot - the rust in floor pan is on passenger's side (previous owner might have had a heavy friend) right were the OEM seat rails should sit. I noticed that the left - right front seats were actually offset in their bolt patterns - and the PPI inspection showed that they were doing their best to avoid the rust cancer areas and place right side seat bolts in clean metal.

I could actually remove the second seat completely - it's basically there for looks and a bit of finished style. No passengers until the car is sorted. I am sitting as low as possible for handling / steering purposes, so having bolts in the pan is only a worry in wet conditions. I probably need to come up with a more permanent solution in time ...
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

I just read your other thread and all I can say is you bought a nightmare and will spend a lifetime fixing what the previous owner "sold" you. You better have a lot of cash and time for this project!
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

gonna prove you soooo wrong, buddy
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

quite honestly, there is quite a lot of 'tude in forums, nowadays. I've been doing this 'Internet thing' for so long ... well ... whatever

As @kingkarmann points out:

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity." – Dr. Rick Rigsby

https://lifeinfocus.me/2019/08/13/ego-is-the-anesthesia-that-deadens-the-pain-of-stupidity/

sooo .. who is assuming and. making an ass out of "u and me"?
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

Internet wise .. I truly roamed with the dinosaurs in case you understand what this book is all about:

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

... or a more 'modern' reference in case that is too 'old school' ....

EnglishmansDentist Exploit Analysis
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

... and maybe .. but just maybe .. I have time on my side

GBU Wizards

any questions?
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

We get it. You're an old timer.

But you lost me when you referred to the Ikaika Makaki'i as "voodoo"
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

kimkinzie wrote:
quite honestly, there is quite a lot of 'tude in forums, nowadays. I've been doing this 'Internet thing' for so long ... well ... whatever

As @kingkarmann points out:

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity." – Dr. Rick Rigsby

https://lifeinfocus.me/2019/08/13/ego-is-the-anesthesia-that-deadens-the-pain-of-stupidity/

sooo .. who is assuming and. making an ass out of "u and me"?

From my observation about "how to" or "look what I did" on YouTube is that guys that really know their shit don't have the time to make a YouTube channel, they're to busy do it right and not looking for a pat on the back.

IMHO Rolling Eyes
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Reply with quote

QRP wrote:

From my observation about "how to" or "look what I did" on YouTube is that guys that really know their shit don't have the time to make a YouTube channel, they're to busy do it right and not looking for a pat on the back.

IMHO Rolling Eyes

HAHA. So true. I have watched a few of these youtube engine builder "experts", and I sure as hell wouldn't be building an engine following their suggestions. That Darrin guy is about as shade tree as it gets. I just saw some dude showing how to port a single port head. All the places he said were important to remove material were exactly wrong. Lots of time spent showing people how to ruin heads, with no real applied knowledge. d'oh!

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: