Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how long has your gas water heater lasted?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long has your gas water heater lasted you
0-5 years
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
5-10 years
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
10-15 years
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
15-20 years
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
20+
48%
 48%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 41

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I just replaced a cheepo 1985 water heater last year. I bet the new Rheem doesn't last 10 years
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Replaced a Water Heater in every house I ever owned.
Thinking 15 years is a long life for a water heater and Hard Water.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

You should run it twice a year out the tap in the bottom , for about 10 minutes , to remove sediment.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Our gas water heater was in our house when we bought it in 1989. SoCal "hard" water but still going strong.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Mine has a date of 1996 on it, making it 26 years. It's a 40 gallon Reliance brand. The only part I had to replace was the thermocouple next to the flame, costing less than $10 plus my own labor.

The heater is located in the garage near the washing machine. If I'm washing whites in hot water the heater makes gurgling cracking sounds as it reheats after the washer fills. I don't know if that's a bad sign. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Calseeum/Lime build up Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

Calcium. You used the Mark Tucker spelling.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
madmike wrote:

Razz
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Cusser wrote:
madmike wrote:

Razz

Cusser fell into the Sar-chasm
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I have a commercial grade hot water heater. I believe it is an 80gal model. It was 5 years old when I got it and it’s about 12 years old now. We never run out of her water and the gas bill has not gone up on bit. Despite being twice the size is it is a lot more efficient than a residential model and we are well below its rated use. Down side these run about $4 grand new. I did not pay no where that much.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I did Laughing But lets talk water heaters ,I have two one is just a 'Pre-eater' I have it flowing out of the bottom tap where u would normally drain it from to a circulating pump,into a 50" copper coil (mounted in plaster of Paris)on top of the woodstove re-turn to the top of the waterheater then to the gas waterheater,,,clear as mud right?(got the plans from Mother earth news years ago) so we have like 80 gallons on tap Laughing my Gas (propane) tank hardly kicks on Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I did :lol: But lets talk water heaters ,I have two one is just a 'Pre-eater' I have it flowing out of the bottom tap where u would normally drain it from to a circulating pump,into a 50" copper coil (mounted in plaster of Paris)on top of the woodstove re-turn to the top of the waterheater then to the gas waterheater,,,clear as mud right?(got the plans from Mother earth news years ago) so we have like 80 gallons on tap :lol: my Gas (propane) tank hardly kicks on :wink:

2 tanks and woodstove, nice.
Friend did a copper coil around the 2.5" hot water return line from the old school hot water radiator system in Brooklyn NY. Water out of boiler was 180, water back in was 100. Thus the water supply line to the gas hot water heater was preheated.
The hot water supply/return pipes were large enough that the system naturally circulated, and the pump only ran on the coldest days. Whoever installed it in the early 20th century has their shit together.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I ackully have another copper coil in the roof of the wood furness ,, to heat my floors (pex tubing) bathroom,sunroom and kitchen Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
madmike wrote:
I did Laughing But lets talk water heaters ,I have two one is just a 'Pre-eater' I have it flowing out of the bottom tap where u would normally drain it from to a circulating pump,into a 50" copper coil (mounted in plaster of Paris)on top of the woodstove re-turn to the top of the waterheater then to the gas waterheater,,,clear as mud right?(got the plans from Mother earth news years ago) so we have like 80 gallons on tap Laughing my Gas (propane) tank hardly kicks on Wink

2 tanks and woodstove, nice.
Friend did a copper coil around the 2.5" hot water return line from the old school hot water radiator system in Brooklyn NY. Water out of boiler was 180, water back in was 100. Thus the water supply line to the gas hot water heater was preheated.
The hot water supply/return pipes were large enough that the system naturally circulated, and the pump only ran on the coldest days. Whoever installed it in the early 20th century has their shit together.

And people now know why they are called hot water heater
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I'm going to eliminate my Propane Bill altogether,,,, The plan is to add a 'Water Jacket' to my cook stove to Thermosiphon to a short 40 gal. tank 'no pump'
Problem is the Factory made Jacket is almost a $1000 Shocked so looking at a welded up stainless steel Jacket made by a Local 'Welder',, I have a Nice sheet of stainless in my stash,,Cheers,Mike
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I had an apartment in a buffalo with hot water included , not heat

You guessed it. I got a car radiator from a junkyard and on cold snaps ran hot water through it to heat the place

I was a total savage back then. Horrible. Do better by not being me
tcmia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

Our gas water heater is over 20 years old. It came with the house when we bought it 20 years ago and still works fine. I do take the sediment out every so often when I remember.
At work we have replaced the gas water heater 3 times in the last 10 years. They all started leaking realy bad. Some on the bottom area, or the top.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

propane gas, heater was $1600, installed- hope it lasts another 22 years - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

$1600 Shocked Gold plated Stainless Steel? So glad I can do 'Plumbing' myself
I did my whole House,,,Electrical Wired it too
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: how long has your gas water heater lasted? Reply with quote

I'm having my "Welder' make us a 'Water Jacket' for our stove , I picked up a newish Electric H.W. Tank for $150, and another $150 in 'Plumbing' .I'm just waiting on the welder Wink Laughing I'm in the middle of 'Mock up" This will be a Themosyphom system ,no electric pump needed, I'm boxing in the tank with some nice Tongue & Groove Pine, Hoping this system will eliminate our 'Gas' Bill Wink Here's a Photo with a few VW Toys,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: