Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Fox 2.0 Shocks
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I've got my Fox Shocks now on my bus, I measured how high the arches were before and after the install. I gained 2cm height on the front and 3 cm on the rear.

The old front shocks were gas and were Pedders brand (Australian) and have been on since I bought the bus 8 years ago, so I don't know how old they were, the rears were brand new Sachs 793 031 as I was going on a trip at Christmas and the new Fox hadn't arrived yet, one of the rear Pedders had busted the top rubber so I replaced them both, they only have about 2500km on them which was road only (nothing off-road that trip), so in my head they are 'as new'

It does change the way the bus handles, it is a bit stiffer, but the real test will be the next time I'm on a dirt road for a long time at speed or just off-road

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I would guess the bushings are for 1/2 bolts rather then 12mm so a bit oversize to start with, also the shocks probably are not designed for a VW bus, they just fit and poorly at that, possible rubber insert is too soft also.
In marketing products, some times items are over produced, slightly flawed, or discontinued items get put on the market, (especially after market specialty auto) auto company's are notorious for canceling contracts after items are produced, would be interesting to know what the FOX P.N. says the shocks also fits besides bus's, also the compression and rebound rates might not be correct for the bus.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
I would guess the bushings are for 1/2 bolts rather then 12mm so a bit oversize to start with, also the shocks probably are not designed for a VW bus, they just fit and poorly at that, possible rubber insert is too soft also.
In marketing products, some times items are over produced, slightly flawed, or discontinued items get put on the market, (especially after market specialty auto) auto company's are notorious for canceling contracts after items are produced, would be interesting to know what the FOX P.N. says the shocks also fits besides bus's, also the compression and rebound rates might not be correct for the bus.

part numbers here, the valving is what changes though:

BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN

i ended up getting thicker washers and different hardness and they worked well. i still think the wheel spacers in the eyelet of the shock should be a little tighter on the hardware. how did yours look.

i also noticed that my old fox shock part numbers are different then yours.

my front fox shock is: fox part# 985-24-002 front
fox part# 985-24-004 rear

wondering what the difference is. ill email fox and find out haha .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

BIGSERG wrote:
VOLTWAGEN

i ended up getting thicker washers and different hardness and they worked well. i still think the wheel spacers in the eyelet of the shock should be a little tighter on the hardware. how did yours look.

i also noticed that my old fox shock part numbers are different then yours.

my front fox shock is: fox part# 985-24-002 front
fox part# 985-24-004 rear

wondering what the difference is. ill email fox and find out haha .

I'd be interested in hearing the answer (if there is one), I did notice that on the GoWesty label on the fronts had V2 in the code, so maybe there is a 1st version & a 2nd version?
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I notice that the V2 and earlier boxes are different sizes. It would stand to reason that the contents are of different sizes also. Has anyone verified this?
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I notice that the V2 and earlier boxes are different sizes. It would stand to reason that the contents are of different sizes also. Has anyone verified this?

The boxes are the same size, just look different in the photo, boxs with V2 are just offset to the left a little
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I'm bumping this thread in hopes of hearing further feedback on the Fox shocks from those who have or did own them.

They are pricey, but if they are worth it, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

Ive invested in KYBs, stock shocks on many Japanese cars for a Monroe garbage price, all my life and I've never had one fail. I understand us old folks who like firm shocks and sporty handling must be made of much tougher stuff that soy latte extra whip generation so use at your own risk if you go to Starbucks.

To invest in something 10x as expensive I'd have to see it do something at least 10 times better.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I'm bumping this thread in hopes of hearing further feedback on the Fox shocks from those who have or did own them.

They are pricey, but if they are worth it, I'd consider it a worthwhile investment.

Had a great long weekend away there, 1st real test of the suspension over a long distance

I'm happy

Was mainly country roads, but also dirt roads, sand and some rock-hopping
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

i am in the middle of mounting a set of Fox shocks on my 71 hightop and I noticed something worth noting about them:

i'm not sure if this is related to the issue you were having @BIGSERG,
but it might not be obvious that the bushings are asymmetrical (on both ends of the shock)

there are no instructions pointing this out, but i believe it's safe to assume that the larger side should face the mounting surface

it was interesting seeing just how much heavier and beefier these were than the KYB gas shocks that came off the front end of this bus.... even though the FOX bodies are aluminum and the shafts are naked....and the KYBs are steel with a steel cover over the shaft.. the KYBs are still significantly lighter.

i am really curious to see how these FOX 2.0's compare to the typical "off the shelf" Koni and Bilstein shocks (and others) i've used on Bays before ..
so far, the Bilstein is easily without equal in terms of standard stuff in standard applications.

I have high expectations for these Fox 2.0 shocks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

makes sense, That said I was out in the garage cleaning and polishing my Koni shocks last night. Had a little dust on them. They are so pretty and work so well. It is fun to run the curves going up Priest Grade and see those sports cars and SUV's fall behind because they can't keep up until a long straightaway when they have the power and handling to catch up with us. Laughing
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

so, i've had a chance to test the Fox "2.0" bus shocks (sourced from GoWesty)

i'll say this much - they're really nice.

the combination of ride quality AND handling is remarkable....
they are very much like Bilsteins....
they are close enough that picking a favorite is splitting hairs.

and yes the Koni reds are also nice.... and they are adjustable, which is cool.

I've used Bilstein, Koni and Fox (as well as stock, and multiple varieties of KYB).
Fox & Bilstein are easily my top pick.

That said, the Koni reds are still top tier and a great choice.

The direct comparison going from a relatively new set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks to FOX 2.0 IFP shocks couldn't have been any more drastic.

It's like driving a different Bus. Night and day.
Before it sucked, now it's awesome ;-)

Anyone looking to run them, I wouldn't hesitate.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

Metahacker,

Thank you for the feedback. Hearing from someone who has used the most common shocks and now Fox is great. Over 30+ years, I've used KYB, Bilstein & currently running red Konis on my '79 Westfalia. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Fox when I replace my shocks.
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Fox 2.0 Shocks Reply with quote

I've been running the fox 2.0 coil overs up front for 4 years now and they're great, used to run pro comp mx6066r shocks in the back but lost a bottom bolt on the trail and busted the shock shaft, now running fox 2.0s in the the back as well. Years before gowesty you could just order shocks from fox based on dimensions.

Koni shocks are great for pavement princesses.
65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: