Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring lesson
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Wiring lesson Reply with quote

So, I installed a new German speedometer cable on my 1974 Super Beetle, and when done, I started up the engine—and a comedy of errors.

Turned the key and this loud whirring noise started from the back, the front, all around! My Alpine radio/CD whatever came on, so I turned that off. Apparently, the speakers weren’t on a proper station, and I was getting a lot of weird noise from the speakers. Then, when I tried to turn the radio back on, it had no power.

WTH?

Then, I still had a loud whirring noise in the front, and noticed that my electric washer pump switch was on. I must have turned on the switch when reinstalling all the switches in the faceplate (which had to be removed to get to the back of the speedometer).

Before I could turn off the switch, the little motor pump died. Actually, it blew the 8 amp inline fuse I had installed with the pump system.

I replaced the fuse, and the radio suddenly worked again. After taking apart the fuse box cover(s), I found the guys who had installed my radio had tapped into the ignition-on wiring to my electric washer pump.

I tried the pump again after re-fusing. The fuse popped immediately. Okayyyyy.

The speedometer works well, though. No jumping around anymore! And the radio works, too. Looks like I’ll be getting a new washer pump, though. It whirred itself to death, I guess.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring lesson Reply with quote

Just as explained in the manual, haha. We've all been there.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring lesson Reply with quote

WOW!!

Sounds like Demonic possession Twisted Evil

You gotta love these little cars. Life would be so boring without them. I mean, what else would you have done with an entire afternoon. Laughing
Good job tracking that down, Tim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: