Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which route would you go for?
Subaru EJ22 swap with 6 rib built Rancho trans
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Powerhaus 2332 @ 175hp / 180tq with 6 rib built Rancho trans
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 29

crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

You being in Minnesota would benefit from the heat a water cooled would provide.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

A tough one indeed... Subaru for longevity and reliability if money isn't an issue.
I'm voting aircooled for the soul though. But I'd choose a milder setup.

But then again, if emmissions regulations come into play, maybe the subie is the better long term investment....
67sash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I've driven both. 2x cost for an engine 4x as good is a no brainer.

Further Performance in the twin cities will set you up nicely.

For those in the market these days, Powerhaus doesn't include the clutch kit or exhaust for $8500. Add another 1-2k for those parts.

67sash wrote:
I want to move down the road at 65 but pass when I want to. I would like to pull 500lbs at times and I would like to be at 35-40 say going over the Tetons. Longevity and torque to get the hightop off the line are concerns. I am very confident in the Powerhaus product. I am very confident in the person I chose for the Subaru swap. The swap is about twice the cost, so I am wondering what am I getting for that extra cost that I couldn't get out of a top notch vw powerplant.

Sounds like you need a German 1600 single port Laughing .

Have you talked to folks that have lived with those engines for years? That's what matters- not the opinions of people taking your money.

Robbie

I actually currently live back in Oregon. My time in Minnesota taught me one thing. I will never give another dollar to a shop in that state. Not a red cent. MrBusCo is worth the drive over dealing with the shops in the Gopher state. I understand that Powerhouse price doesn't include those items, but a good point to make for others. I think I know the route I am leaning, as you can see by the poll at 50/50 its a tough decision. Silverlining customers lover the product they receive from Powerhaus and the guy who would be doing my swap just started his company but has a handful of swaps completed and driving around the PNW with no issues. Its a tough decision. The cost saving of going VW allows me to by another bus, or bug. I appreciate all the input and understand your points of views. Thanks for taking the time!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

best of luck on which way you go

if you're going to tow with this and run an aircooled in a heavy hightop i'd really be watching your CHT's

my gut tells me you're going to have a melted pile of parts, but to each their own

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I recently built a fuel injected 1776 for my bus. If I had to do it over again or if the guts end up all over the road, I'll go Subaru.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

If you go with that Powerhouse I’d be real specific on what I’d want in and on that engine. I look at that pic you posted and I see carb linkage that is trash. It comes with Chinese tin, not German tin, which is trash. That engine in the pic doesn’t have a thermostat or flaps because that 36hp Chinese dog house fan shroud doesn’t except flaps. It doesn’t have heat exchangers and if you’d like any sort of heat in that hit too you better use original German ones. They don’t list any manufacturers parts in there list so you don’t know what you’re getting. For example, whos crank are you getting, whos heads, who’s rods, who’s oil pump, who’s pistons and cylinders, who’s rings, why bolt on valve covers, who’s alternator? My money is on they don’t give a manufacturers name because all the shit is probably EMPI and you’d be better off burning your money then building an engine with ANY EMPI parts!

When I have a engine built I sit down with the builder and go over every part I want on and in the engine. My builder is top notch, so I do leave some stuff up to him. But believe you me I would never put any EMPI parts on either of my VWs. Now, I do have a Chinese 36hp fan shroud on my beetles engine. My builder and I had more then one go around about it and he had to modify it to accept German flaps. Cause there ain’t no way I’m running a ACVW engine without flaps.

Buyer beware, educate yourself before you buy. Read my parts list I posted, all high end name brand parts and even then nothing is a guarantee.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Are you going to ship your bus to either shop for the installation? Consider the hidden costs as well- most PH builds need a remote-mounted oil cooler and filter.

The parts they use aren’t always top-tier, they’re just expensive. When you’re 800 miles from home and the oil pump craps out, are you going to shut it down in time to save your $10k investment?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That engine had about a thousand miles on it. It now has about three thousand, but the valves go out of adjustment every 400 miles or so, and they still haven’t settled down. I can deal with some quirks of a Type 1, but not stuff like that. I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone.

Plus they’re fucking loud.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

… i'd sell and buy an old E-150 - z
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I opted to go Subaru after finding out my new to me 76 Westy had a 1700cc in it instead of a 2000cc and it needed a complete rebuild.

I rebuilt a 1700cc that I had in my 73 Panel back in the 90s but was always having to adjust or fix something, especially with the dual carb set up and decided to take on the Subaru swap.

I did my research and did the Subaru 2.5L SOHC swap myself including the harness. The mechanical and electrical work was pretty straight forward and I customized a number of things that I was told was "ambitious" by others.

Total cost of the swap including the Subaru donor, new engine components/parts and machining, a mix of Small Car and Busaru swap kits, wire, hoses, hardware, etc and buying a used 86 Vanagon 010 transmission and having it rebuilt was just under CAN$10k.

Now other than fixing or upgrading regular VW issues (wheel bearings, suspension, rust repair, brakes, headlights, etc), I just get in and drive. No tinkering with the engine, have good heat and can easily maintain highway speeds up mountain passes fully loaded with camping gear, bikes, 4 people, windsurfing gear, canoe, and a dog.

I get about the same to slightly better gas mileage than the AC and comfortably pull a small sport trailer. My DIY work is not as tight/clean as Skills or other professionals here but I'm super happy with the results and no oil leaks, drips, or top ups needed after a long drive.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

67sash wrote:

I actually currently live back in Oregon. My time in Minnesota taught me one thing. I will never give another dollar to a shop in that state. Not a red cent. MrBusCo is worth the drive over dealing with the shops in the Gopher state. I understand that Powerhouse price doesn't include those items, but a good point to make for others. I think I know the route I am leaning, as you can see by the poll at 50/50 its a tough decision. Silverlining customers lover the product they receive from Powerhaus and the guy who would be doing my swap just started his company but has a handful of swaps completed and driving around the PNW with no issues. Its a tough decision. The cost saving of going VW allows me to by another bus, or bug. I appreciate all the input and understand your points of views. Thanks for taking the time!

Did you ever get your engine back from “The Badger State?” I’d love to see the details of that in the buyers/sellers forum.

Back to your current build plans. It’s definitely a slippery slope. You have the budget to do it right and if I was in your shoes it would be a tough decision too.

Here are the questions that would have my head spinning.

Subaru swap- It seems like the builder you are considering is rather new to the game. How many miles/hours do his customers have on their swaps. Even Tom at the local Air Cooled/Water Cooled VW shop in Portland can tell you horror story’s of rather well known Subaru swaps shops that they have had to fix over the years.

Powerhaus aircooled- You and I both have a little inside information on these. We both know they drive really nice. That being said. I very much doubt the people who have those engines put many miles on their buses per year. So for that kind of money, I’d really drill down and find all real world performance reviews on those engines.

I see a lot of interesting expectations put on VW engines (For reliability) Some say they built or had an engine built that exceeds expectations. But they’ve only put 5k miles in 5 years. Some build engines that are not impressive (Stock) but have pulled 60k miles in 5 years.

If I was going to throw down $16k for a Subie swap for a Bay. My VW goes straight to Skills on a flat bed and pay the $20k to cry once and do it properly.

Aircooled. I’d spend money at

http://brothersvwmachineshop.com/engines.htm

https://www.performanceworkshop.net/engines-and-kits

And Aeromech’s builder. Gary seems happy enough to recommend him.

http://www.gemvw.com/Chromoly_c_90.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

Nice job cleaning up Dub Ranch. Sorry I tossed all that Ghia stuff in the dumpster. I just saw you bought a Ghia for the wife. d'oh!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

It’s like choosing between syphillis and gonnorhea, we will clap for either decision. Choosing is all the fun!
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I have the original 1700 in my 72 and am completely happy with it, but in your case with a hightop and wanting to be able to tow, Id probably go with the Subaru.

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping your bus. The subaru will be more expensive 'at first' but over time and >120k miles it will be the cheaper option.
Gashog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I can finally add something pertinent to Samba discussions, hallelujah!
I’ve a 72 with a factory reman 1700 (32K) from the original owner. The engine is fine, but once the novelty of adjusting valves, timing and syncing carbs wore off…I said to hell with it. Decided on the Subaru with my reworked three rib. There’s PLENTY of VW specific maintenance left to fortify my “soul”.

After much internet surfing and drooling, a few telephone conversations (one lengthy and to the point), I’m going with Mr Skillz. A decade of satisfaction from customer swaps, detailed video and photographic documentation and an attention to detail bordering on obsession. Hellz yeah!

Anyhow, thanks for the opportunity to contribute. Y’all have a golden day.
Robert-OR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap or Powerhaus 2332 Reply with quote

I went with a Subaru 2.5 and the Subaru transmission with the Subarugears with the 4.44:1 3 years ago. I spent $6000 , included a complete engine rebuild and new bearings in the transmission, did all the work myself and have 20k miles on it with no issue but the fuel pump needing replace 4 times now.
If I were to do it again I would do the exact same thing except maybe get the 4.11:1 gears.
Nobody knows its a Subaru engine, I get the same reactions (smiles) from just as many people as I did when I had the air cooled in it. Went from 13/17 MPG to 20/25 MPG and keep up with traffic no problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: