Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Witnin01340 wrote:
Thats exactly how i wired mine but the( A )red wire i dont have hooked to the battery or a switch only the thick red wire to battery, so does anyone know if it will be (ok )to test without the switch red wire hooked to battery ?
or does it have to be hooked up for the cdi to work ?

Thanks for replys,appreciate it.

You need the red wire (small) to trigger the power on to the CDI unit. You can twist them together for a test rig.

Once you install the goodies into the car. Run the small red wire to a keyed source for switched power.

Witnin01340 did you see this post?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks to all !

Got both throwing blue,whitish spark wow almost looks like spark from a welder.

When i purschased the HI6Ns 2 of them where being sold together so i bought both so now got a spare just in case 1 of them go south.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Great!! Glad its working, and that will be a nice help to your engine. Let us know how it runs and drives😉
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

A special thanks to jpaull,im from the old school i tend to believe what i see more then what i hear, but i must say my friend installed a winterburn cdi,i dont know when Mr.Winterburn started making the cdi but this had to be back in the late 90s,i remember my friend telling me he could hardly believe how much smoother his engine run after installing the winterburn cdi.

Yes il repost back let ya all know how much of a difference this setup made Crane HI6N cdi,LX92 coil over oem dist,points it is a 2.2liter type1 engine with long duration cam and compression to match.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
A special thanks to jpaull,im from the old school i tend to believe what i see more then what i hear, but i must say my friend installed a winterburn cdi,i dont know when Mr.Winterburn started making the cdi but this had to be back in the late 90s,i remember my friend telling me he could hardly believe how much smoother his engine run after installing the winterburn cdi.

Yes il repost back let ya all know how much of a difference this setup made Crane HI6N cdi,LX92 coil over oem dist,points it is a 2.2liter type1 engine with long duration cam and compression to match.

Very cool! Different variations of CDI have been around for ages. To me its still a old school spirit Hot Rod upgrade. Any cdi is a nice improvement over stock. There was even one in this thread that changed from a Winterburn to the Crane and it was a very healthy improvement.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Finally pulled the trigger and purchased a HI-6N , looks to be in great shape.

Hey is there no Cylinder Select required.? 4-6-8 Cyl for the rev limiter?

Or do we just set the dials to half the required RPM limit.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Hey Darren! Yes these were made for v8's so the rev limiters will be at half rpms with our engines.

For the Tach, as long as your are running a tach that has a 4/6/8 cylinder selection and it will register as it should.

Let us know how it runs!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

this really is a great thread... thanks for starting it jpaull!

lots of people giving different ignition options a try..

to collate things in a single place, maybe these will be useful..

for people who got s deal on a crane hi-6 unit...

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/crn-6000-6400.pdf

msd 6a variants

https://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/121/121-6420.pdf

msd 7 series

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/msd-7220(2)1.pdf

mallory hyfire 6al

https://www.jegs.com/installationinstructions/600/650/650-6852m.pdf

hope that helps someone..

enjoy the low down power, and ease of tuning..
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff!

Dunk, the 6N has slightly different wiring than the Crane link you posted,

The PDF for the 6N (6000-6410) is available at The manualzz download site.

https://s3p.manualzz.com/store/data/027367470.pdf?...mp;p=86400

Cheeers.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks Dunk, and Darren for those instructions.

Its nice to see people helping others here in this thread. Many times im not available and others have stepped in to answer questions. Rustavenger, Alstrup, Darren, Dunk, 74thing, Applegreen, and many others. Thank you all.

Every few pages its good to have a reminder, as 30+ pages things can get lost. I dont mind repeating things a few times cause not everyone can go back and read 30 pages.

The spirit of this thread is to get the MOST RELIABLE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK in a hotrod style cdi ignition/distributor/coil combo. Not everyone has enough cash to spend 2k for fancy stuff, or they might, but its not worth it. But this way is.

The MSD style distributor uses OEM factory style mag pickup that is strong and reliable. Its 10 times better then points and points replacement solutions. This exact style has been used by OEM brands for 200k miles and zero maintenance needed. MSD mag pickups/springs/bushings are interchangeable and readily available as needed for tuning of advance curve. Not only that, the mag pickup, springs, bushings are the same ones MSD uses in every other billet distributor, so you can be rest assured that you will have parts for decades without worry. The complete A-team version of the MSD distributor (one good version) can be had for about $100.

The crane analog box has very close to the output of a MSD 7ALPlus series box but can be bought for $150 routinely on ebay. Even used they are more reliable then many brand new digital boxes. The Crane Digital box is not one of the problem childs, and if a person wants a new box, this is a great choice also, it just costs more then the used analog ones. These 2 boxes have more power then the 6 series boxes, and if you have a choice, i would chose one of those from the start before a 6 series. If you already have a 6 series analog, combine it with a Blaster SS Coil for a combo that is very respectful. Not as much power as the crane, but its a very decent ignition. The older MSD7AL that is not the "plus" can be had for good deals used on ebay and its a super reliable analog box. Its the same output as the Crane HI6 series and is also a great match for the E92/LX92 coils.

The FAST E92 coil can be had for $100 new. The LX92 is the Crane version and not available new, but still a few NOS on ebay here and there, and the used ones stand the test of time also. There are other equivilants that work well. but my cost more. My personal favorite is combining the Crane hi6 style box with the MSD 8253 coil, as its a U-Core coil that is more efficient and can give almost the same spark output as the 92 coils but with 200uS more spark duration and still keep up with a CDI ignitions multi-spark. Its almost like cheating.

A note about coil compatibility. If you have a powerfull box, you can run any coil and "push it" to give its full potential output. But you cant use a box with limited power to run coils that are designed to be run with higher output boxes, as it will stress the box and give weak results for output. The coil is not being supplied enough juice to give its output. This separates the men from the boys here. Many boxes claim high numbers but they state NOT to run with certain high output coils, and even some medium output coils. THATS how you know they dont really have much output as their weak box cant deliver the needed energy.

Coil efficiency. When u go a step up in coil efficiency, you get more output/duration for the same input. Thats the true definition of something being more efficient.

Coil efficiency levels:

Step 1. Canister coils. Least efficient. If you must have one, your doing it cause you must have the OG look. They suck compared to E-core and U core.

Step 2. E-core coils. You get more output and duration, the majority of whats out there. Best cost efficient bang for your buck.

Step 3. U-Core coils. MSD 8253 and 8261 HVC-2 coils. They are huge, double the size, but give you more spark and duration for whats delivered into the coil by the CDI box. 8253 can be used by 6 series boxes and crane boxes. The 8261 should be used on MSD 7AL2 PLUS boxes only. Drawback, the U core coils are $250-$280 and the small gain might not be worth it. I found a 8253 open box for $200. MSD also has the refurbished from time to time. They are USA made and have lasted years in harsh environments. they are the newest style of coil out there, but they are actually 12 years old now.

The basic Crane CDI box HI6N/Fast e92 COIL/ A-Team MSD copy distributor can be had for $375 total, give you enough spark power for a real noticeable boost and be super reliable. $375 is less then some pay for a CDI box by itself. Some get deals and only pay $300 for their CDI, Coil, Distributor combo. It can be "palatable" for anyone, and i have been very careful to select parts that have enough output to actually make a difference on any engine, not just some.

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
My personal favorite is combining the Crane hi6 style box with the MSD 8253 coil, as its a U-Core coil that is more efficient and can give almost the same spark output as the 92 coils but with 200uS more spark duration and still keep up with a CDI ignitions multi-spark. Its almost like cheating.

Hey jpaull, how does this compare to a Hunt magneto? I have a mag that was given to me for free that came out of a running car. I was going to send it out to Hunt or Don Zig to be checked out / rebuilt and polished. Should I put the money into the mag or sell it and buy your ideal ignition system?

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
jpaull wrote:
My personal favorite is combining the Crane hi6 style box with the MSD 8253 coil, as its a U-Core coil that is more efficient and can give almost the same spark output as the 92 coils but with 200uS more spark duration and still keep up with a CDI ignitions multi-spark. Its almost like cheating.

Hey jpaull, how does this compare to a Hunt magneto? I have a mag that was given to me for free that came out of a running car. I was going to send it out to Hunt or Don Zig to be checked out / rebuilt and polished. Should I put the money into the mag or sell it and buy your ideal ignition system?

Is it a Hunt Magneto for sure? if it is, then there are a few different versions. All of them are healthy enough to run as is and be comparable. RPMs dictate output on the magnetos, and they run from .3 amps idle up to 3 amps at max rpms/output. So the max output is more then the largest coil we been talking about in this thread which is the 2 amp HVC-2 coil. If you have the lower output hunt then it would range from .3 amps at idle to 1.5 amps full rpm /output. The blaster SS coil that is a great match for a MSD 6a box is 300mA, (.3 amps), so your mag will give at idle what the others give across the rpm range.

Hunt does rebuild service for $225 labor plus parts. If you want to upgrade to more power, its $500 extra. But, this gives even more then 3 amps output so everyone can put that in perspective. I would go with a standard rebuild service and run it. I would send it to Hunt Magneto and NOT Don Zig as you might not ever see it again with Zig. Joe Hunt is 916-635-5387.

Many here on the samba have criticized the ignitions im promoting as "arc welders" with coil output max of .5 amps.(500mA) Yet the magneto guys are running more then 3-5 amps output lol. Thats 10 times the power!! (3000-5000mA)

If hunt magnetos were overflowing ebay at $200 each I would have started a different thread here maybe lol. There is the multi spark aspect for cdi boxes, and the distributor drive effects over many many miles that might be different advantages/disadvantages too. Worth noting.

I never ran them, I just stick to what i know and what can be duplicated by the masses for the sake of promoting low cost horsepower for others. But in your case, run that bad boy.

VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
VeloMikey wrote:
jpaull wrote:

Is it a Hunt Magneto for sure? if it is, then there are a few different versions. All of them are healthy enough to run as is and be comparable. RPMs dictate output on the magnetos, and they run from .3 amps idle up to 3 amps at max rpms/output. So the max output is more then the largest coil we been talking about in this thread which is the 2 amp HVC-2 coil. If you have the lower output hunt then it would range from .3 amps at idle to 1.5 amps full rpm /output. The blaster SS coil that is a great match for a MSD 6a box is 300mA, (.3 amps), so your mag will give at idle what the others give across the rpm range.

Hunt does rebuild service for $225 labor plus parts. If you want to upgrade to more power, its $500 extra. But, this gives even more then 3 amps output so everyone can put that in perspective. I would go with a standard rebuild service and run it. I would send it to Hunt Magneto and NOT Don Zig as you might not ever see it again with Zig. Joe Hunt is 916-635-5387.

Many here on the samba have criticized the ignitions im promoting as "arc welders" with coil output max of .5 amps.(500mA) Yet the magneto guys are running more then 3-5 amps output lol. Thats 10 times the power!! (3000-5000mA)

If hunt magnetos were overflowing ebay at $200 each I would have started a different thread here maybe lol. There is the multi spark aspect for cdi boxes, and the distributor drive effects over many many miles that might be different advantages/disadvantages too. Worth noting.

I never ran them, I just stick to what i know and what can be duplicated by the masses for the sake of promoting low cost horsepower for others. But in your case, run that bad boy.

I just checked and it's a Vertex type mag with a purple Don Zig tag on it. Maybe that will date it's last service. I have spoken to both companies and feel a little more comfortable about going with Hunt. Thanks for the great explanation, comparison and advice!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

My Magneto was at Zig’s for 2 years.... I felt lucky to get it back.
It looks perfect, like new inside and does work well. It was about $500 to service 4 years ago.

One thing about Magnetos Vs Say an MSD or a copy, The Magneto is a royal pain in the ass to tweak the advance curve, an MSD takes seconds.

One thing that has always confused me about magnetos, why do they recommend a small .025 plug gap if they have so much power?

Thanks.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Because they are capable of high enough current that they don't need to push super high voltage across the gap. Larger gaps require more voltage, and most systems will put out less current when they are required to push higher voltage.

Magnetos use an inductive coil system still.

More voltage does not automatically equal more power.

I had a Scintilla Magneto years ago, that thing would hit harder than you would think for being an inductive setup Shocked Nothing like the light Zap from an MSD Blaster Twisted Evil

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!

Last edited by Lingwendil on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Darren and VeloMikey,

The output specs I gave was for a high performance Hunt magneto only. If your using a magneto that came on the industrial stationary engines they will not be high output at all and reflected in plug gap.

This would be a kick-@ss awesome topic for a new thread! Magneto guys come together and post how they adjust timing, which mag, how much output, etc.

The industrial mags are on ebay all the time for $150 or so.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scintilla-Vertex-Ronco-4c...632-2357-0

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

^ that's the kind I had. Really cool piece of gear.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

The way i read is the distributor cap on the msd clone is a ford and the rotor is chevy if thats right what year and model ford did the cap come on ? also what year and model chevy did the rotor come on ?

The msd clone distributor i got is well made but the cap is flimsy going to put a quality cap/rotor on.

In a post awhile back i said my msd clone came with the standard socket type cap i dont know why i was thinking that it has the HEI .

Thanks in advance
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken AMC/Jeep/Ford/Dodge/Mitsubishi all used the same cap, I want to say mid eighties/early nineties. There's also an earlier variant that takes non-HEI type plug wires as well, but the rotor is different and shorter so I don't think it fits.

Dodge/Jeep 2.5L I beleive? 91-2000-

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-rout...45461_0_0?
^ Looks like the right part, might have to order one and compare.

Rotor I'm not super certain the exact GM part number or application off the top of my head, but it's Chevy for sure. I've pulled a few at junkyards in the past. Late sixties-early seventies V8 for sure.

KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Cap. 1985 Ford Mustang 4 cylinder

Rotor 1969 Camaro 350 CI.

Last edited by KROC on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 44

Jump to: