Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression….
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

I’m not seeing it so far….. I was sure the rings were toast. They look good….

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

What are you running for fuel delivery? Spark? Got any pictures Of your engine?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

There is lots of oil in that cylinder. Are your oil rings still moving? The adjustment screws on the right side in the picture look a lot more tight. Burned / defective valve seat? Do you have your valves adjusted correctly?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
What are you running for fuel delivery? Spark? Got any pictures Of your engine?

Kadrons. I rebuilt them during the process of figuring out why right side wouldnt run properly.
Stock jets
#2 cyl 135 compression
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
There is lots of oil in that cylinder. Are your oil rings still moving? The adjustment screws on the right side in the picture look a lot more tight. Burned / defective valve seat? Do you have your valves adjusted correctly?

Rings move. Checked valve clearance before tearing into it. Checked out.

At this point its gotta be in the valve train….
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

with so much dirt on your engine. Measure your cylinder i.d. to see if it is still round. Maybe it did overheat due to having no cooling.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:

Rings move. Checked valve clearance before tearing into it. Checked out.

At this point its gotta be in the valve train….

If cylinder 1 has no compression due to a bad cam, the other / opposite side will have issues also.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Pour liquid gas into the combustion chamber (head sitting with chamber facing up obviously) and see if it holds liquid for any amount of time or leaks out right away. That's a quick valve test.

Do rings still have tension (springy and stiff) or are they soft bendable?

Were the wrist pin clips still in place when you pulled it apart?4

I just have to ask, why would you pull apart such a nasty engine without COMPLETELY washing all the dirt and debris away first? Thinking of the particulates and contaminates now inside that case is going to trigger my OCD for days... Laughing

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

1)Dirty engine causing it to overheat badly in that Bus.

2)Overheated rings with no tension left.

3)Cylinder is scored badly as is the piston skirt.

Where did all the dirt come from to do that damage? Running tar for oil and the filter is bypassing most of the time?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
1)Dirty engine causing it to overheat badly in that Bus.

2)Overheated rings with no tension left.

3)Cylinder is scored badly as is the piston skirt.

Where did all the dirt come from to do that damage? Running tar for oil and the filter is bypassing most of the time?

It may have over-heated. Bus came from Arizona and was used on a farm. The entire bottom is caked in mud. I’ve spent countless hours cleaning the underside. Oil and filter were good when I got possession, I replaced the filter screen, new oil, filter alll that good stuff. The lower head bolts were loose when taking engine apart.

Over heating might be the culprit.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Pour liquid gas into the combustion chamber (head sitting with chamber facing up obviously) and see if it holds liquid for any amount of time or leaks out right away. That's a quick valve test.

Do rings still have tension (springy and stiff) or are they soft bendable?

Were the wrist pin clips still in place when you pulled it apart?4

Did this test. No leak. held the fuel in. Springs have great tension.
Wrist pin clips are in place.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

That thing looks used and abused. What is that screwed into the #2 plug hole? A plug anti foul adapter? It's got to be the rings or loose head. Being a work vehicle on a farm, probably never got much maintenance by the looks of it. Did you pull the oil screen and see how much sludge is in the sump?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

yeah the screen was pulled, no sludge. Flashlight into the case also shows its pretty darn clean.

Its the compression gauge adaptor. thats screwed into #2.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

How much deck did that thing have?.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

did some retard put shims on only 1 cylinder?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

didnt check the deck...

If you notice in the photos there is fuel on top of the pistons. Wouldn't that effect compression? but 0?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Well at this point with all that dirt and crap getting into the block the compression debate is basically over.
Strip down the entire motor and start over!!!!

But that's just me.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Well at this point with all that dirt and crap getting into the block the compression debate is basically over.Strip down the entire motor and start over!!!! But that's just me.

It's not just you, we can guess forever on the cause but it doesn't matter as that motor needs to be pulled down.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

It would of been better to do a leak down test before taking it apart. It would of let you know if it was the intake, exhaust or rings.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ept000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

I still want to know why the valve adjuster screws look so much further down into the rocker arms on that cylinder.....

It's not pulling the rocker shaft studs, is it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: