Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Porsche 914, 1.7l throttle body
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VF914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: 1972 Porsche 914, 1.7l throttle body Reply with quote

I have a 1972 Porsche 914, 1.7l.
I am looking to rebuild my throttle body.
Have heard that Phil Eslin, Whip618, can help.
Please advise
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Porsche 914, 1.7l throttle body Reply with quote

VF914 wrote:
Please advise

Sorry, I meant to answer this a few days back. From the pictures I have seen of his work in the bay bus forum he can certainly make a world class new throttle plate for you.

As for "rebuild"....aside from the plate itself...unless you TB has huge corrosion that has ruined the throttle shaft bore....there is nothing to rebuild. These have no bearings.

The issue with the throttle plate is this:....close the throttle with spring pull at standard levels on the cable connector and put a light behind it and look around the edge of the throttle plate.

Ideally....the gap around the plate should be at 0.001" or less and even. Just barely light coming around the plate. If its larger, ragged or uneven you could probably benefit from a new throttle plate.

Really its much more realistic to view this while its installed and by putting a light into the center manifold through a vacuum port or one of the runner ports.

However....that said....as long as the gap around the plate is pretty uniform and not excessive....its typically not a big deal on D-jet....unlike L-jet where its a huge problem.

Why?

Because with D-jet, if the throttle plate or throttle bore wears a small amount...increasing idle air bypass a small amount....which can cause a slightly rich mixture at idle....we can actually adjust for that excessive bypass air by making either a very minor tweak to the MPS or with the gray knob on the ECU on later model E series ECU's on the 1.7L.......whereas with L-jet there is no easy adjusting for bypassed air.

Typically for the 1.7L engine TB's...unless you have corrosion or extremely high mileage where it was run very dirty....I don't see much wear that would warrant a high end replacement of the throttle plate.

If when you inspect the throttle plate....the wear or gap all around is even and say around 0.002"....you could have that evenly and cleanly reduced by simply taking the TB apart and taking it down to an anodizing shop and having it hard anodized.

They would simply dab masking compound into the vacuum ports and the threads of the idle screw to make sure these did not get anodized.

This would bring the entire surface of the TB up by anywhere from 0.0015" to 0.002". The surface would now be harder than the steel of the throttle shaft and the brass plate and would not wear again in your lifetime.

Really the most probable path is to clean it well and properly adjust the TVS.

To do "PROPER" adjustment....I have not found any books that "properly" explain the adjustment for each era of TVS switch....AND teach how to re-test after adjustment to account for wear and drag. So....I made my own guide on how to adjust these.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683230&highlight=tvs

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Porsche 914, 1.7l throttle body Reply with quote

VF914 wrote:
Please advise

there are plenty of good used ones aroung (we probably have over 150 of them)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: