Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ghia Side trim measurements
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Hi all. Just bought a 1967 Ghia Coupe and want to install the side trims as in the past they were removed. The original holes are not visible.

Was wondering whether someone can provide me with the following measurements please...

1) The spacing between the top and bottom side trims

2) The measurement from the bottom side trim to the bottom of the door?

3) The spacing between the holes.

4) The diameter of each hole.

I would appreciate your help as I don't want to mess this up Smile

PS: Any advice and tips about doing this, drilling, etc. is more than welcome.

Thanks

Mario

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

You will need to remove the interior door panels to install trim. When you take them off look inside for the bondo worms the painter made while covering the holes. Use the original holes. Smile
I really hope you dont find rust. Are your torsion covers bondo-ed over too? Crying or Very sad
And the badge indent too. oh my.
Judging strictly from one pic. Im holding my breath.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
You will need to remove the interior door panels to install trim. When you take them off look inside for the bondo worms the painter made while covering the holes. Use the original holes. Smile
I really hope you dont find rust. Are your torsion covers bondo-ed over too? Crying or Very sad

Thanks c21darrel. No torsion covers still there Smile But the side Karmann badges yes they were covered by the previous owner as he wanted the Cal Look.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Watching -- as I need to so the same to my car -- replace the deleted trim and the torsion bar opening. Have the trim. Need the measurements.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

I have put the trim on cars as Darrel describes above as well as using double sided automotive trim tape. If you do not want to drill holes using the trim tape works well.

Just lay out the trim. Take your time. You will see how it goes on. Once laid out you will understand where it goes on the car allowing for the door to open and close. From there make a pencil mark and then a line using a level. Cut the tape to size, peel back the tape and stick.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Back in the '80s, it was popular to have faux Ferrari Testarossa style side air vents (a.k.a. "Chesse Graters") airbrushed onto the side of your Volkswagen.
If the artisit was talented, it could be uncanny how realistic they looked from even a short distance.

Jump forward some 30-odd years, and the current technology makes it possible to add faux side vents on whatever type of car you drive by simply applying a set of decals like these ...

Shocked

If they can make faux side vents, then I'd bet thay could make you some faux chrome Karmann Ghia side trim that could be applied just as easily, with no need to drill any holes or uncover any ugly truths that may be hiding behind your door panels. Wink

Heck, I'm sure they could even print you up a faux Karmann side badge that includes faux shadowing to replicate the proper indent in the fender. Smile

Hey, ... we could be on to something big here with this idea!
Perhaps we could even offer faux rear torsion bar opening covers, and faux chrome trim that could be applied to old Cal-look windshield and rear window seals.

That would be so much easier than dealing with trying to fit proper window trim in the silly little channel and getting it to sit properly!

Why, it would be as easy as slapping a band-aid on a boo-boo, ... and even easier than slapping some bondo over rust. Very Happy

... and speaking of rus..., err, "Patina" - why not offer faux patina decals as well for those who simply don't have the time to wait for proper patina to form.

Heck, the decal possibilities are nearly endless!
Faux rubber floor mats at a mere fraction of the high cost of those beautiful new repop sets now being offered.

Perhaps even one giant decal that could transform a later style Karmann Ghia front end into an earlier low-nose style?

Last edited by KGCoupe on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

sciclunam wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Thanks c21darrel. No torsion covers still there Smile But the side Karmann badges yes they were covered by the previous owner as he wanted the Cal Look.

Side badge only on right hand side, so good news he only filled one Smile Cool
I'll just wait for you to remove the door cards. Its more common to have bondo-ed over the holes than to have welded them. In addition to Nova's double sided tape idea, search "side trim study" and read Eddie Ray's way to install side trim, well worth a read. 3 basic ways to install, original clips, tape or nuts/bolts (EddieRay). If there is any filler on the doors the original clips may prove problematic.
Idea More pics! Whats the interior like?
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Side badge only on right hand side, so good news he only filled one Smile Cool
I'll just wait for you to remove the door cards. Its more common to have bondo-ed over the holes than to have welded them. In addition to Nova's double sided tape idea, search "side trim study" and read Eddie Ray's way to install side trim, well worth a read. 3 basic ways to install, original clips, tape or nuts/bolts (EddieRay). If there is any filler on the doors the original clips may prove problematic.
Idea More pics! Whats the interior like?

I have thought about using 3M automotive double sided them but the moulding is hollow (for the clips) so there isn't an adequately flat surface to which to stick the tape. I have thought of using bondo on the trim (back side) to create a flat service every few inches so that the double sided tape can stick to it.

Not sure what's the interior like as hadn't find the time yet to remove the panels... and what about the trim on the mudguard?
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

If they can make faux side vents, then I'd bet thay could make you some faux chrome Karmann Ghia side trim that could be applied just as easily, with no need to drill any holes or uncover any ugly truths that may be hiding behind your door panels. Wink

Heck, I'm sure they could even print you up a faux Karmann side badge that includes faux shadowing to replicate the proper indent in the fender. Smile

Infact I bought a chromed plastic trim to be used for the rain gutter and it really looks shiny. Maybe it will not remain as shiny after some years but it only costed me a few euros. With the same idea, i wonder why they did not create the side trims yet, much cheaper and easier to install.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Quote:
I have thought of using bondo on the trim (back side) to create a flat service every few inches so that the double sided tape can stick to it.

gonna just chalk this up as an early rookie mistake.

Yeah, gonna need to remove the mud sills to get side trim in with bolts. Probably a good idea to peak in there just to see what yur working with AKA what the PO hid.

Back to the door card removal.
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

Back to the door card removal.

I will and revert... not this week though as too busy.

Thanks
dmellet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

I see no one answered the original question so for the rest of the community with this issue. here's what I found.

hole size is 6.5 mm - but check your clips, some need 6.8 mm.

2 holes in front panel, 7 in the door and 4 in the back panel (x2)

Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Hi Mario nice car, similar to mine.

I used 3M double-sided tape in the exact width of the trims, to stick them on.
It's not only easier (no drilling, especially in bondo, which could lead to cracking it and the paint around), but also potentially safer (no water gets in through those holes).

Because the tape is very thin, and the exact width of the trims (and cut into triangles at the end), it's not really visible. And it's strong as a rock it seems.

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fedwards58KGLL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Hi Mario nice car, similar to mine.

I used 3M double-sided tape in the exact width of the trims, to stick them on.
It's not only easier (no drilling, especially in bondo, which could lead to cracking it and the paint around), but also potentially safer (no water gets in through those holes).

Because the tape is very thin, and the exact width of the trims (and cut into triangles at the end), it's not really visible. And it's strong as a rock it seems.

Vlad

Vlad....would like to know if this solution has resisted the burden of time ....
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ghia Side trim measurements Reply with quote

Hey, I sold the car, but the trims still hang on dearly to the body Smile
Cleaning and de-greasing properly is a must, as well as comparing the curvature before sticking them on.
Best Regards!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: