Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Square vs Fastback rear seat design
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

So the fast back has the two fixed diagonal strengthening arms behind the rear seat, plus a fixed cross bar and rear parcel shelf. The Squareback is totally open in the back, and the back of the rear seat folds down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So where is the extra strengthening inserted in the squareback to maintain body rigidity ?

I guess the real question is "Is it feasible to convert a Fastback to have a fold down rear seat without cross bars etc to provide more usable rear luggage area ?"

Or does one just buy a square back ? Laughing
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

The extra reinforcement is the window post, and extra bit on the floor where your cross braces mount
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
The extra reinforcement is the window post, and extra bit on the floor where your cross braces mount

Yes, there's a support "bar" between the wheel arches that i can't see on the fastback picture, also the support on the wheel arches itself, also extra support on the outside wheel arch + under the window post an extra indent in the air baffle area (air baffle part not seen on picture) + the bottom just above the sills are curved whilst they are straight up with notch and fast

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Thank you. So it would appear quite a complicated exercise to adapt the Fastback seat to fold down and then open up the luggage area a little. Will put it back into my "too hard" basket for now to come back to later Smile
This is all to do with my planned long distance trips and an effort to find the best way to camp when using my Fastback.
G
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Don't know if it would be that much of a problem, maybe they made these changes also because of the shape from the squareback..

if you look on ggl with the words fastback fold down seat, you will find lot's of info about this, not only vw related
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Thank you. So it would appear quite a complicated exercise to adapt the Fastback seat to fold down and then open up the luggage area a little. Will put it back into my "too hard" basket for now to come back to later Smile
This is all to do with my planned long distance trips and an effort to find the best way to camp when using my Fastback.
G

This might have been something you should have done before painting. Some of it could have been done while it was apart. Adding in some of the extra support that the Square gets. I only say that, as I've removed the entire roof from a Square, and ran it as a Roadster. My son\s type 3 is a topless Squareback, that was built out of bits and pieces, some of which were home built (originally). But just recently (in the last 3 years) got some parts of it swapped over to genuine VW metal. In his case, we kept the folding rear seat assembly.
Some examples;

Keep in mind that this car also has a 914 t-4 engine in it, so it has a little more weight in the rear. It's also been swapped to an IRS rear suspension.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

This is something that i have investigated quite a bit, actually..

A fastback that i got years ago had the whole rear package tray cut out of it.
This made for a nice amount of room in the back; actually close to the same amount as a square.
It was a total hack-job, and the car didn't last, but it gave me ideas.

When i dove into my latest project, and had a square to cut up for parts,
All of the square rear sections were removed by drilling spot-welds to use in the fastback.
The idea was to make a fold-down rear seat and pass-thru like so many modern cars.
My goal was to haul surfboards; leaving the package tray.
if you were going to try and sleep back there, you would want to remove the whole tray.
The space between the package tray and rear floor is too small to fit in there with any padding unless you were a tiny child.

What stopped me from doing the whole rear square seat was the fact that the rear seat and arm-rests on the square are odd looking and rectangular by necessity.
If you were to transplant it all back there, it would really be odd if you were to put the rectangular seat back in place with the arm rests.
At least using the package tray..
The shape is just very different.

If you cut the whole rear tray out, then sectioned in all of the rear seat stuff from a square, that would loo,/work best by far.

Because i just need to pass through flat boards, i just cut out the two diagonal braces,
And leave the seat back at home.

Depending upon what you need to haul, you might consider removing those braces as i did?

looking at how the whole rear fo the car is designed,
I'm guessing the structure those braces provide was more to support the weight of passengers leaning back in the seat,
And not for the overall rigidity of the shell.

JMHO,
FWIW..

What’s That Noise?!?
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Very interesting, Clatter. Appreciate your input.
Just cutting out the two diagonals you suggest would probably give me what I need. It is for long trips only, and my idea at the moment is to remove the entire rear seat (both parts) for these journeys, and replace with light plywood boxes for storage etc. thus making a hole through into the rear area very viable and possible. This then allows longer items like tents etc to be inserted through the back and go all the way up to the back of the rear seats if necessary.
Am currently away from home so can't do any measurements, but this may just work. Get home in 2 weeks.
And I could always make the rear braces "re-insertable" when I finish a trip.....
Thanks again,
Giles
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Have you thought about a roof and or trunk rack?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

Yes, I have Jason. My position is this - I am a 73 old fart who has camped, caravanned, motorhomed, 4 WD'd my way all over the world for many years. I am stiff, have a bad back, and don't like sleeping on the ground (its the first 2 feet "up" that is now hardwork !!) Now, I want to keep camping, esp wild, but need a bit of comfort. I know my tents, and on long trips, set up and pack up HAS to be quick and easy. If you are camping in one place, or for just a week or two, any tent is fine. But on a long trip, when you are packing and moving most days, if something is difficult / annoying / takes more than 30 seconds, then it quickly becomes a chore and you want an easier way, especially if it is raining - and Murphy's Law says it will rain 50% of the time Laughing
So I have found (and now used) a tent called an OzTent RV2, (or an RV3 which is slightly bigger), which is brilliant and they can literally be put up or taken down in 30 seconds by one person. https://www.oztent.com.au/Products/tent-range/oztent-range/oztent-rv-2

But one drawback - they are 2.05 metres long when folded down (because the metal frame is permanently in place - which is why the set up time is short.) Length is too long for my Fastback roof rack (already have one, and its shorter than a squareback one because the roof is shorter), especially on bumpy roads, plus I would be having to lift the tent on and off all the time. And it won't fit inside the Fastback with the rear seat back in - Thus my thread subject here. Maybe the RV2 can fit in if I can get it through the rear seat back ? The packed size is 205 cm long x 32 cm x 25 cm.
Another idea I am exploring is a trailer - I already have a towbar. But the trailer MUST be light or the car will struggle. Basically I would design and build it out of a strong but very light honeycomb material that I used on my Mongolia trip, and would mount the RV2 tent permanently on a flat deck. I would just raise it when I stop (20 seconds) and just lower it and strap it down in the mornings - No need to pack it away into its bag. I would then sleep on this trailer platform, and have a step off when I come out of the tent. And I have room for 2 camp stretchers in the tent so I have a comfortable bed.
Another option is to maybe use the roof rack, but build a simple support rack up from the rear bumper mount brackets to support the overhang of the tent ?
I am exploring all options at the moment, but would prefer NOT to tow a trailer if I can help it. Like all camping options, there are plusses and minusses either way.
First planned trip is a lap of Australia, which is about 15000 kms / 10000 miles, and would probably take me a month or so. By the time that is done, and any potential problems are sorted, hopefully Covid will be under control and I can come to Alaska / NW Territories again which is my plan. The Dempster Highway to Inuvik is scenically one of the most amazing journeys in the world, and since my last visit they have now opened the road on from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk, so I would love to do it again, all the way to the ocean.
Just exploring all avenues..........And appreciate all imput, plus any stories of what other people have done.
G
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Two other, more “extremer” optiins come to my mind now, maybe worth investigating..

- roof tent
- Get another backseat and modify it so it could stay positionee as is bu that you can fold down the middle or something, like those armrest backseats, so you can put your tent through
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

The length of the tent sure does pose a problem. What if one of the beetle rear racks could be adapted, the one that sits level with the roof rack. another option since you have the hitch, would be one of those rear cargo carriers. I have one i use behind my daily and one could easily add a support to mount the tent vertically and since it is much lower to the ground, it would be easy to load and add little weight to the car.

And I hear you on the tent camping, this is why we bought a Westy several years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

andybla wrote:
Two other, more “extremer” optiins come to my mind now, maybe worth investigating..

- roof tent
- Get another backseat and modify it so it could stay positionee as is bu that you can fold down the middle or something, like those armrest backseats, so you can put your tent through

Roof tent DEFINITELY out Laughing Laughing As mentioned earlier, I am 73 and not very bendy any more, and climbing down a ladder in the middle of the night (maybe more than once !!!) is not on !!! Don't get me wrong, I think roof tents are a great idea,and I wish they had them when I was younger, but they are for the younger set who don't need to pee at night and are also capable of (safely !) negotiating wobbly ladders in the dark !!

Other idea of another backseat is a definite possibility. On a long trip, as I say, I might well remove both parts of the rear seat and replace with plywood shelving in order to increase storage space for things like food and water plus a small cooler, so leaving a hole would be easily done.

Yes Jason, thinking along the same lines with the cargo carrier extension to support it. Possible.
Re your Westy, I also own a V8 diesel Toyota Landcruiser with a pop top which gives a double bed, single lower bed, water storage, 50 gallon fuel tank, cooker, fridge, +++ Its the vehicle I took right around the world for 3 years in 2014-16 and solves all the problems like your Westy does. I still love it and use it - Next June I am crossing central Australia from W to E in it, across the deserts Smile . But for some insane reason I also want to do some long camping trips in my Fastback ! I am so enjoying mine that I just want to keep driving it and enjoying it !! Short trips for the day just don't cut it for me !! Have you ever got to the end of a days journey and found you didn't want to stop because you were enjoying it so much ? I do, all the time. And by going on long trips you don't get that feeling - Because you know you will be back on the road again as soon as the sun comes up !! Smile
Plus of course the fun of trying to make it all work in a Fastback is a major part of the enjoyment !
G
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Living life to the fullest!

Cant wait to see pics of the fasty all loaded up and ready for adventure.

If all goes to plan this year, I will be driving my notch to California later this year.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

I've inquired and commented more than once in regards to why VW did not make the rear seat fold down on the Fastback or Notchback, but they did on their least expensive model (the Beetle), to say nothing of the Squareback. Surely someone has come up with a way to install the folding rear seat from a Squareback or other car to work in one of these. I just removed the interior from my FB in preparation of a Subaru driveline conversion, and it is something I am going to explore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

The Type 3 fastback had so much more trunk space than the Beetle, so a fold down seat was not valuable just for trunk volume. Remember, with the pancake engine there were two trunks! Wink

Now, it would have been handy for long objects (like skis), but then you would just buy a Squareback, right? Or use a roof rack.

The Squareback is well known for weak structure right behind the B-pillar. A moderate rear-ender effectively folds the volume between the B- and C-pillars downward, very hard to pull back out. The Fastback does a little better.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Living life to the fullest!

Cant wait to see pics of the fasty all loaded up and ready for adventure.

If all goes to plan this year, I will be driving my notch to California later this year.

This thread came up again !!! And almost exactly a year to the day, I am getting closer to my trip, Jason. (Covid got in the way !!) Will post more later, but I have a trailer with a tent permanently on it, and hope to set off as soon as the Aussie weather cools down a bit. And the rear seat is out, plywood is in, and I am making up all the storage spaces at the moment.

Watch this space..........Pics will be posted.
Smile
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Same here, covid kept the border closed and then I hit a manhole and crumpled the frame head on my car...and out of sure coincidence, the shop called and it is scheduled to go in next week! So maybe we can swap road trip pics later this year.
vdubjiunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Jason37 wrote:

Yes, I have Jason. My position is this - I am a 73 old fart who has camped, caravanned, motorhomed, 4 WD'd my way all over the world for many years. I am stiff, have a bad back, and don't like sleeping on the ground (its the first 2 feet "up" that is now hardwork !!) Now, I want to keep camping, esp wild, but need a bit of comfort. I know my tents, and on long trips, set up and pack up HAS to be quick and easy. If you are camping in one place, or for just a week or two, any tent is fine. But on a long trip, when you are packing and moving most days, if something is difficult / annoying / takes more than 30 seconds, then it quickly becomes a chore and you want an easier way, especially if it is raining - and Murphy's Law says it will rain 50% of the time Laughing

I know I'm late, and this won't be the answer to all of your concerns, but when it comes to wanting to be comfortable, and dry while camping, I have been camping for years in a flat lay hammock with a Nube enclosure. It just can't be beat!

"It Is Difficult to Get a Man to Understand Something When His Salary Depends Upon His Not Understanding It" - Upton Sinclair
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Square vs Fastback rear seat design Reply with quote

vdubjiunkie wrote:

I know I'm late, and this won't be the answer to all of your concerns, but when it comes to wanting to be comfortable, and dry while camping, I have been camping for years in a flat lay hammock with a Nube enclosure. It just can't be beat!

Looked at the U Tube of this, and it looks good, but misses out on the most important thing i need - And that is to be able to sit up, stand up, eat, cook, read etc etc inside the tent. The hammock idea would be fine for "just sleeping", but as I have learned from my 5 month trip around the US and Alaska in a sports car with a small tent, when the weather is bad (usually about 50% of the time on a long trip) you need to be able to carry on normal activities ! A weekend trip is SO different from a 5 month one. My last trip was 30 months on the road !! But appreciate your input - I like the idea.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: