Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fat Chick
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Getting side tracked a little bit, from the weather and life's problems in general.
Hope to have torsion arms etc.. installed by the weekend.
Here's a little project creep;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cleaned some rust off frame head. While I can get to it without the suspension in the way.

3 coats of black epoxy.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Weather was good for painting. No wind and not to cold.
Managed to finish painting the torsion control arms.

Bottom arm looks a little gray. Rest assured it is black as one above.

Hopefully, it won't take to long for the paint to cure. Then install.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I put the right side (passenger) side torsion arms on. I did'nt do the left (driver) side, because I wanted to finish up cleaning the rust off the frame head etc..
The arms went on quite easy. The only hassle was seating the grease seals flush into the beam. One side of the seal would go in the other side would not. After a few try's I got it done. Some Pic's;
Grease seals.
Cleaned off the rust that was on the arm.
Greased.
More grease.
Grease seal flush with beam.
Perfect line up.
Rust killing, left side.
Painted.

I'll put the left side torsion arms on tomorrow. Then move on with the spindles, etc...

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I painted and installed new front spindles from AC industries over the weekend. I also installed new concentric camber adjusters.
I working on stripping and repainting the tie rods and new ends, if the weather will cooperate.
Had some major dental work done on Monday. Total cost 23K. So I'm in some major pain after the work. Never mind about the pain from the cost.
Anyway some Pic's;
New spindles.
New spindles.
Painted.
New camber adjusters.
I transcribed the markings I made to the new ones.
Anti-seize to prevent it from getting stuck in the bore.
Anti-seize in bore.
Right side installed.
Left side installed.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

The tie rods and ends are painted and ready to be installed. I was going to do it Today. However, after doing some research on torque values etc.. I found out I do not have the locking plates for the adjustment nuts. Their were none on the tie rods when I took it apart. Same as the steering arm situation from earlier. So, a $2.00 part is holding me up. I will skip over this and move on. I'll being ordering and waiting on parts again. Need to prioritize what I need etc..

I installed new backing plates. Thank god I did'nt have to paint them.
I also cleaned up and painted the front firewall. I'm not a fan of yellow, but the color is pretty close. I may spray the wheel wells with that color once I clean off all the old under coating. I did get overspray on the black epoxy and I had to go back and touch it up.

So, next is the new bearings, races and rotors to install. Anyway a few Pic's;
Spent too much time trying to make this perfect.
Ready to go or so I thought.
Painted the front firewall to clean it up. I fixed the overspray Mad
This color is a very close match to the color of the car(Saturn Yellow, I think).
New backing plates.
Backing plate installed with new bolts left side. My finger prints on it.
Right side.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Weather was nice today and I got some stuff done.
I installed the new wheel bearings, races and grease seals into the new rotors.
I also packed it full of grease and managed to get rid of the can of grease I must of had for 20 years, Laughing
This front end rebuild is coming to a close pretty quickly. By the end of the weekend I should every thing installed, short of the tie rods (locking plates on order) and a sway bar.
For some reason, there was no sway bar on the car. Did some PO take it off because of the lowered adjustable beam? I noticed the sell sway bars for lowered beams. So does a stock sway bar interfere with a lowered suspension?
Anyway a few Pic's;
Bosch rotors made in China. Timken bearings and races made in France. SKF grease seals made in Mexico.

Old rotor, I took the bearing races out of. To see how it works etc.. They were SKF brand.
New rotor.
Driving the race in.
The bearing driver did not fit the front race good. So I used the old race to help it out. Then used the driver once the race was part way in the rotor.
Packed full of grease.
Grease seal
Drive it in.
Done, ready for install.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

The front end rebuild is pretty much a wrap. I installed the new rotors and calipers. Just waiting on some locking plates for the tie rod ends and maybe a sway bar. The next major project will be to replace the wiring harness. In the mean time I'll be doing odds and ends jobs. Like repainting the old valve covers, rebuilding the old Brosal carburetor, taking the old under coating off the wheel wells etc..etc..

A few Pic's;
New backing plate and bolts. The bolts were torqued to 7Ft Lbs and I used loctite to insure the don't come loose. The old ones were loose.
Rotor on. Extra grease used for packing outer bearing and dust cap.
Locking nut was torqued to 9Ft Lbs and the bolt to 7Ft Lbs per Bentley.
Caliper back on and torqued to 30Ft Lbs and I used loctite on the bolts.
New speedeometer cable and hardware. I doub't it will fix my odometer thats not working. Speedo is Ok.
New grommet for speedo cable. Inner wheel well. Yes, there is holes all over the place from PO's.
Inside speedo grommet.
Left side.

A lot of things were replace over the months working on the front end of the Ghia. I will list them in a later post.

Steve
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Front end rebuilt is looking good, together with the repaint of the undertank body area.

Did you install any type of lock washer under those 3 bolts that hold each backing plate to the spindles?
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Front end rebuilt is looking good, together with the repaint of the undertank body area.

Did you install any type of lock washer under those 3 bolts that hold each backing plate to the spindles?
Thanks Rome. It does look clean, even if I'm not a fan of Yellow. But what can I do. The car is Yellow. There is locking washers under the bolt heads. I took them off the old bolts. The washers are quite thin. I'm not sure if they are the right ones, but that was what was on it. Hard to see from the pictures and hard to see them when I took the old bolts off.

I discovered the old bolts were loose on the left side. The right side were fine. The old backing plate on the left side also was bent towards the front and somebody had drilled and elongated a bunch of holes on both backing plates. There were so many holes I question if it even was the right backing plates for the car. For $7.00 each I decided why not replace the backing plates with new and trash the swiss cheese ones. Maybe, a PO hit something bent the backing plate and loosened the bolts? Hard to know what these old cars have gone through in their lives. I decided to loctite the bolts for cheap insurance.

Steve
jjeffries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Steve, I’m new here and just ready your thread from start till here. Isn’t always amazing how a small/ simple car can absorb so much of your time, effort and money? Great job and I admire your get-it-done mindset and approach to the work needed. The car will, I’m sure, drive so much nicer with that fresh front end … all those little flaws you’re correcting (worn ball joints, the beam bearings, etc) must have added up in how it drove. I will continue following your work.

Best regards,
John, in Conn.
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

jjeffries wrote:
Steve, I’m new here and just ready your thread from start till here. Isn’t always amazing how a small/ simple car can absorb so much of your time, effort and money? Great job and I admire your get-it-done mindset and approach to the work needed. The car will, I’m sure, drive so much nicer with that fresh front end … all those little flaws you’re correcting (worn ball joints, the beam bearings, etc) must have added up in how it drove. I will continue following your work.

Best regards,
John, in Conn.
Thanks John. Yes, a lot of time, effort and money. It's understandable why it can take some people 10 years or more to restore. I see the light at the end of the tunnel as far safety and reliability issues are concerned. Once that is completed it will be cosmetics, body work, paint etc.. That I'm sure will be quite expensive. I'm not sure at this point in time how far down the rabbit hole I will go with that. I'm satisfied with a nice driver vs a concourse restoration.

I see that your from Connecticut. I'm originally from Rhode Island. Moved away when I joined Military back in the 1970's. Been back to visit family, that's about it for me with Rhode Island. I do love the food in R.I.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

A little update. I ordered the tie rod locking tabs on February 15th. Still have not received them. I contacted the seller (ISP West) and asked the status. They stated they only had 3 tabs and I ordered 4. I told them to just ship the 3. I only need 2. The 4 was a package deal. I don't even know if they will work as the are for a Type 3. No one has these so called important locking tabs. If they are so important how come no one sells them? They are a so called one time use item. Anyway, they are shipped.

I ordered a complete wiring harness from West Coast Metric on March 1st. It has already shipped. I choose WCM because they showed the item was in stock and the price was reasonable vs some others that were lower price with no information on whether they had the item in stock. Anyway, should have it by next week.

In the mean time, while I'm waiting on parts I painted the old valve covers. I did'nt waste a lot time stripping them to bare metal because they are beat up. I just sanded the loose paint, primed and painted. They are spares for valve adjustments etc.. If I want some thing new I'll just buy it. Oh, not a fan of yellow.

So a few Pic's;
Old beat up ones.
Tried this paint.
Primed.
Painted. May try a few more coats of paint after it cures for a week.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Tie rod locking tabs and wiring harness came in the other day.
The locking tabs do fit. They were marketing them for a Type 3.
So, I installed the Tie rods etc.. That pretty much wraps it up for the front end.
Just s few things left to do. Need a sway bar. Need to fine tune the front alignment. I'll do an old school alignment using string and a tape measure. Get the car road worthy again. so I can drive it to an alignment shop etc..

So, it might be a couple of weeks before I get to the wiring harness. I have concerns of course. What kind of nightmare is waiting for me under the dashboard? What other bits and pieces will I need etc..? One concern I have is fishing the wire to/from the dome light. I really don't want to tear up the headliner. As it is in good condition.

Anyway some Pic's;
Wiring Harness.
Tie rod locking tabs.
Locking tabs.
New steering damper.
Tie rods and steering damper installed.
New tie rod right
New tie rod left.
I have new bolts for the rag joint. Just need to install. Locking tabs not bent over yet. Will wait till it gets to alignment shop.
Checking to make sure it is straight before aligning the steering wheel etc..

Steve
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Quote:

Your steering box should have an indicator for the center position. The shaft that goes into the box has a small metal ring right against the box housing. That ring goes almost fully around the shaft, except for an approx. 1/8" gap. That gap faces up and lines up with the sharp edge of the box's casting when the shaft is "straight ahead". You can't see the gap in this shot but you can see the ring. You can view the ring when you remove the left inspection cover from the spare tire well and shine a light down to that location.
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

Your steering box should have an indicator for the center position. The shaft that goes into the box has a small metal ring right against the box housing. That ring goes almost fully around the shaft, except for an approx. 1/8" gap. That gap faces up and lines up with the sharp edge of the box's casting when the shaft is "straight ahead". You can't see the gap in this shot but you can see the ring. You can view the ring when you remove the left inspection cover from the spare tire well and shine a light down to that location.
Thanks Rome. I'll check that out. I was trying to get the Toe in/out into the ball park. I won't know for sure until the tire and wheel are on. Then I can measure it.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

LVGhia72 wrote:
Rome wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Rome. I'll check that out. I was trying to get the Toe in/out into the ball park. I won't know for sure until the tire and wheel are on. Then I can measure it.

Steve
I checked both steering boxes, old and new. All I see is a rubber O-ring with no gaps. Unless the metal ring is under the O-ring. In which case, I'm not going to remove the O-ring to find out. It may be a PITA to put back in place etc...

I'm confident that the steering wheel is centered. When I do the alignment I will know for sure.
New steering box shaft. Rubber O-ring.
Old steering box shaft. Rubber O-ring.

Steve
LVGhia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I put the wheel's and tire's back on the Ghia. To do the initial check on Toe alignment. Without going into to much detail, I used 2 methods;

#1.Tape measure. Measured the distance between both front tires center line. Front of tires and back of tires. The problem with this method is you can not get the tape measure perpendicular to the center line of the wheel, because the body of the car is in the way. I did the best I could. I came up with the Toe being 4/16th out. Which is not that bad I thought. The other problem with this method is you really don't know which wheel to adjust. Do both evenly or just one etc.. So, all things considered I went to method number 2;

#2. String alignment. Run a string parallel along center line of the wheel, front to back on both sides of the car. More difficult to set-up, because everything has to be level and square. Using this method which is more accurate, I found the Left wheel toe was zero and the Right wheel was out by 16cm. Not bad. I'll admit I did play around with the tie rods after I installed them to get them even, which threw my initial measurements off when I first installed the tie rods. Won't do that again, lesson learned. I decided to switch to cm versus fractions because much easy to subtract. I also must of checked the measurements a least 10 times.

It got late in the day, so I did not adjust anything. I'll have to set everything up again on another day and do the adjustments. Which is alright because the measurements will be checked again.

As far as the Camber goes; I can get a Camber gauge/level from Amazon for $15. So, I'll do that.

As far as an alignment shop that knows what they are doing? I have not checked any out yet. There is at least 5 or 6 close by.

Anyway, some Pic's
Back on all four wheels. New found inspiration.
Tools I used, tape measures, line level, straight level, straight edge, string etc..
Used jack stands to hold string. The jack stands also have to be level.
String level.
String set-up
Measurement. I only have two hands, hard to take picture.

I'm also working on what I call dead end wiring as a side job. Wires to no where land. What are they? Where do they go to? etc....

Steve
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

Strings are good, I do my race car that way and you can get it super accurate with practice.
I like to set the pitman arm parallel to the center line of the car which should be the mid point between full right and full left turn (counting the turns),
then put the steering wheel on the right spline so it is in the straight ahead position. Then set both tie rods to the toe in I want. Then set the steering stops.
Next time you just put the steering in the centre to adjust the toe in.
If you are going to change the camber or the front height do those first before the toe.
Your car is looking great. fantastic to see it back on wheels. I like the subtle rake
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

The car is looking better and better!

I also did my geometry with my phone (for camber adjustment) and strings (for toe), it worked out perfect the first try out Shocked Really didn't expect that.

I put some plastic bags under the front wheels so they turn easier. If you can fix the steering wheel in the straight-ahead position, then it's even better. If not, you have to go back-and-forth a couple of times. But certainly doable. Some oil / grease on the threads certainly help, that way you can even turn the rods by hand for fixing the angle. (of course don't forget to tighten afterwards).

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: My Fat Chick Reply with quote

I'm surprised your steering box does not have that center reference ring/collar on the input shaft just ahead of where the shaft enters the box... I checked the gallery and many boxes are like that. Confused Finally found a photo of the ring (TX-73)-

Now I see that this entire box has a different design than yours, as the "snout" casting that contains the input shaft is much longer/comes back more rearward on yours than on the photo box. On the photo box, the input shaft is turned so that the ring is at the approx. 3:00 position. To center the box, you'd turn the shaft CCW so that the ring's gap is straight up at the 12:00 position, which aligns the gap with the vertical sharp casting edge of the box directly above it.

Quote:
I like to set the pitman arm parallel to the center line of the car which should be the mid point between full right and full left turn (counting the turns),
I saw a photo in the gallery during my steering box ring search that showed this pitman arm positioning clearly, but can't find it again now. The arm was perpendicular to the axle beam, which goes along with Ian's comment/quote here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: