Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Winter Camping?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
generic_ork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
dazey77 wrote:
Done a bit of sub zero camping with my 95. Mine has insulation on most panels (apart from main floor and area behind wardrobe). I have stock furnace and lithium bat. If it’s just me, the furnace keeps me warm enough with top down. Bit of a struggle with it up. With two of us can easily have the top up too. Mine has a tado thermostat, so i normally have it warm up to the point I sleep, much cooler temp set overnight and then furnace takes temp back up for when I need to wake up

If you don't use 'em, already, it is worthwhile making some insulation panels for the pop top area.

In my '78 Westy, I bought a roll of the 4 foot wide Reflectix insulation and cut it into three panels that fit snugly inside the pop up. Two roughly-triangular side panels (with extensions for the back that meet in the middle, and extend a couple inches into the front panel) and a front panel that overlaps those two by a few inches.

Put up the side pieces which are just held in place by pressure along the top, the edge of the bed on the lower sides and back, and the pop-up bars front along with the front panel overlapping it. The front panel is held in place by pressure top and bottom and the pop up bars.

It may not be a high insulation value, but it does significantly cut heat loss through drafts through the canvas and I imagine it helps reflect a bit of heat inward too. They also block light which helps you sleep in a bit longer! the rolls aren't super expensive and are easy enough to cut to shape with a little measuring and a little holding in place and trimming and don't require any other sort of fasteners.

I stash mine for driving in the space behind the top mattress or right on top of the top mattress in the middle, where there is a bit of a gap due to curvature of the pop top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I second this and will also double down and say that I got rid of the window blinds and curtains in favor of insulated reflective material cut to shape for the windows as well. Insulating the windows allows me to sleep comfortable when outside temps are in the lower 40s and without the furnace.
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Fanchers poptop insulation?

https://fanchers.com/store/ols/categories/eurovan

That should help with the canvas heat loss.

For those of us in MV/weekenders that are hesitant to permanently mount a heater there are now some external all in one diesel heater options.

One that one of the Vanagon guys set up.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764097
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not totally familiar with the Eurovan camper setups, but in my '78 Westy in cold weather camping, I found it helpful to also block off the whole front seating area by clipping a heavy blanket to the pop up roof opening.

A few less cubic feet of air the heater has to heat.

Dave - what kind of heater are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Quote:
I'm not totally familiar with the Eurovan camper setups, but in my '78 Westy in cold weather camping, I found it helpful to also block off the whole front seating area by clipping a heavy blanket to the pop up roof opening.

A few less cubic feet of air the heater has to heat.

Dave - what kind of heater are you using?

My Bus has an Espar D2 heater installed underneath and blowing into the center pedestal and back seat heat vents.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Great Daves think alike!

After freezing up in the top bunk for the last couple trips, I just added the latest modification. Borrowing from our Vanagon buddies.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463901

I would recommend measuring the dimensions for your own van. On my '02 Weekender, it was 260cm on both long legs with a shallow scallop to the 90cm front.

What versions of the Eurovan has that horizontal bracing on the front? Mine doesn't have anything of that sort.

BTW also added some LED string lights to brighten things up. Now it definitely feels like camping in a space pod. Eager to get back on the woods to see how much of a difference this makes!

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Winter Camping? Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:
Great Daves think alike!

After freezing up in the top bunk for the last couple trips, I just added the latest modification. Borrowing from our Vanagon buddies.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463901

I would recommend measuring the dimensions for your own van. On my '02 Weekender, it was 260cm on both long legs with a shallow scallop to the 90cm front.

What versions of the Eurovan has that horizontal bracing on the front? Mine doesn't have anything of that sort.

BTW also added some LED string lights to brighten things up. Now it definitely feels like camping in a space pod. Eager to get back on the woods to see how much of a difference this makes!

Ha ha, camping in a space pod!

I'm pretty sure I got the idea from the same Vangon thread!

As I said, my Bus is a '78 Westy, so it's strut setup is different. With that angled side strut I see in your photo, I think I'd still cut my front panel to overlap to the sides, along with some overlap from the side panels.

Install front panel first, then side panels to have the overlap hold it all up.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: