Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Maltboy! wrote:
Don't forget to install the phenolic resin heater tubes into the upper half before you join it to the pan! Don't ask me how I know this. Wink

Hehehe copy that. I have been made aware of that fact by a few members.
Not quite ready to do the official "joining", but I will make sure to install the tubes in the body first. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Left Rear Fender area Primed. Reply with quote

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Work continues on the left rear fender area.
It is about 25 degrees F today, so I fired up "Old Faithful"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

She's an old style kerosene heater (circa 1965) that burns maybe 1 pint/hour of Kerosene. I am telling you she is burning kero that is over 25 years old, with no smoke or odors. Pretty long life for kerosene...
Anyways, it keeps the garage a comfy 50 F degrees or so, do-able, but it slows the curing of the filler.
Here's what I started with...

Oops, sorry, that is a picture of my nephews' build, the "Ruptured Duck". It's a concept car, built along the lines of a B-24 bomber. Incredible talent that kid has...Look at those welds Applause
Here's his site and info.
https://www.prddesign.com/
Anyway, another story another time....

So, the mandatory before shot....

...and the after

That is stripped and grinded to bare metal, then fiberglas strand filler, then that sanded, formed and dressed with a thin layer of lightweight body filler, then more sanding etc etc ad nauseum. I wanted to keep the total thickness to about 1/8th of an inch (3mm) or so; ideally it would be none, but......
I used a cool little device to judge the nice curve that part of the body has; it seemed to assist, I guess, and I finally got to use it..

Anyway, that was then dressed with a high solids sand-able primer, and there ya have it.

I will confirm the fit with the fender and bead, dress it a bit more, and then go from there.
Progress....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Merry Christmas!

The zen meditation of the body sanding...
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Looking great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Argh.... no news.. too cold, even my ancient kero heater won’t pump up the garage heat enough so I can do the body filler. Glad I don’t need a lot, but still, they just don’t do well at 35 degrees. Maybe some fender repair that involves welding?
Standing bye...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Good to read something! You should be rebuilding some components right now. Anything that requires no heat. Like front end suspension parts, axles, alternator, starter, reupholster seats, etc….those types of items.

I do miss your updates. But I know more is coming shortly!

Remember, everything counts!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Good to read something! You should be rebuilding some components right now. Anything that requires no heat. Like front end suspension parts, axles, alternator, starter, reupholster seats, etc….those types of items.

Copy that Jimbo, thanks for the needed kick in the arse….
Come to think of it, there’s a few of those duties I can get to…..
Mmmm…
Now to get the time…

BTW, any news from Jeremy G? I really liked following his project. Last I remember, he was occupied with building a new house..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Copy that Jimbo, thanks for the needed kick in the arse….
Come to think of it, there’s a few of those duties I can get to…..
Mmmm…
Now to get the time…

BTW, any news from Jeremy G? I really liked following his project. Last I remember, he was occupied with building a new house..

Just asked him. His thread is up on top, again.

I clicked on his user name and it said he was lat on 11-18-21. Lets hope he comes back soon!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: More work. Oh no! Helmet issues??? More Welding?!?!?! Reply with quote

Yeah, more welding. I had a little break, some time, and tho I didn't get any "filler time" because it was still pretty cold in the garage, I was able to get some welding done. Yeah, the fender area.
Here's the job....

and the planned cut...I wanted to just do the round patch thing, but after some more wire brushing, the steel revealed its true self and required a more extensive repair. Go figure right?

..and the first result.

Some more spot welds, some grinding, and some light filler and she'll be done. And oh, yes, chase the threads of that fender nut Wink
Here's the next task. A bit more challenging, non? It's just steel.. It's just steel...
For the love of all that is holy what have I gotten into?? (hehehehe "hole-ly.. Get it??)

BTW, here's the issue: I THINK the welding helmet MAY have "shat the bed"..
When I put it on, after about 4 welds, I noticed the "line of demarcation"
across the screen. That is NOT a shadow, that's what the screen does now....I also noticed some "splotches" in the upper edge and the lower right corner. Looks like bubbles that are squashed between two plates of glass....

I changed the batteries, and no change. AM I screwed? This is an Eastwood "natural color" helmet...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Time for a new shield!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Time for a new shield!

Yup!
If you have an AirCo distributor near you. They carry the most common sized replacement lenses.
Or go to HF and buy a new hood for like $49.00. Pick which one suits your budget.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram wrote:
Time for a new shield!

Yup!
If you have an AirCo distributor near you. They carry the most common sized replacement lenses.
Or go to HF and buy a new hood for like $49.00. Pick which one suits your budget.

Done.
Ordered a Hobart helmet from A-Z, mid-price range, that should do it. One from Eastwood lasted 2 years...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
vamram wrote:
Time for a new shield!

Yup!

Done.
Ordered a Hobart helmet from A-Z, mid-price range, that should do it. One from Eastwood lasted 2 years...

Be sure to buy an auto darkening one!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Continuing tale... Reply with quote

Got the helmet, and tried it out last weekend. And yes, it's "auto-darkening. Hehehe Get it?? "Auto"-----"car". hehehe.
Only about 40 degrees, so I could actually work a bit
One kinda' cool thought..
After all the welding and patching I have done over the last 2 years, I believe this last patch can be considered the last patch needed for this body. (fenders excluded-they will need some love.)

So, without further ado...

Here's the deal. I had to try to match the two body lines you see in the picture.
To create the patch, I used 18 gauge steel; I literally had just the right size left in my stash. Everything else was 20 gauge or more.

I was very careful, and used all the latest body fabrication tools.
OK, I lied. I used a vise and my body hammer.

I got pretty close, I didn't get a pic where I fixed that lower left corner. It just slipped a bit off the magnets, but it matched pretty good.

I did what Fitzee from Fitzee's Fabrication (youtube site) calls-"cut and butt".
You tack weld in the patch, then cut along the patch lines and "butt" it in. Pretty neat technique, and you get a nice little reminder of the patch you are replacing too.

Et voila! After this welding, the body's done, as far as welding goes. The last patch on the body! A little tear as we raise our glasses and new welding helmets in honor of the occasion.

(But wait-What about those fenders?? Yeah yeah, they will need some "electrically enhanced metal fabrication", but I'm not counting that as "body welding".
Maybe it's just me....
Ciao
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Congratulations! Applause

This metal fabrication phase was a massive undertaking, enjoy the accomplishment. Very Happy In a few months you can enjoy the filling and sanding. Shocked Lol.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

X2 on the congratulations! You have gone a long ways. Take a moment and suck it all in. It is only realized in the moment, so take a few seconds.

I am looking forward to the fenders!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Fenders! And I ain't talkin' about guitars neither (too bad!) Reply with quote

Well, last Sunday I had a "come ta Jeee-zuz" fender realization-yup, those darn fenders ain't a' gonna' fix themselves, soooo, I took a break from welding and started seeing what I was lookin' at for a fender fix. I started with the passenger side front. I will need to do a few repairs on the "boltin' sides", but it looks like most of the real work is gonna be the headlight recess and buckets themselves. Cripes I REALLY hope the fender underneath the lights is just surface rust and is good...... Stay tuned....

Yeah, and THAT'S the good one.....I am planning on patching that bottom edge and replacing/installing a new tab. I think you can actually pull out the whole old ""receptacle" portion and weld in new ones, but, I'd have to chase down the OEM ones, cut out the old ones. What? Are they just like "press fitted" in, or what? ..... sigh............The repair sounds like the way to start.

.. and the buckets. Yeah. Junk. Not even worth trying to salvage IMHO. Oh yeah, I know, keep 'em for parts, etc.

I will. Hey, bonus! The lights themselves are halogen, and they work! Yeah, high and low beams. Go figure...

Point of discussion: Are these buckets the same ones used for the 1971 Super beetle, standard, and the Carmen Ghia?
So, no major work yet, most of the day was spend in getting the fenders from the shed, pulling rings, etc.

I DID however find some good OEM ones on the classified. They should be here Friday.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Beetle and standard share the same part yes, and 68-up bus too I believe. I'm not super certain if ghia and type 3 are the same.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Fender Repairs, ad infinatum Reply with quote

More fender repair.

The "bowls" in the fender itself.

"Why don't you just buy the "bowls" and replace them?" Well, 3 reasons. 1) who sells 'em? 2) How much are they? 3) Who sees 'em, besides me?
Well, you get the idea.... And so, more welding and fabbing.

I did get the new buckets, "OEM", so that fit the bill. MUCH better then the ones I had, these just needed some light wire brushing-I will also paint with a primer and a gray rustoleum paint. Are there supposed to be 2 springs, BTW??

I have decided that the area on the fender under the headlight lens was surface rust, or that's what I'm calling it. I do NOT want to try and cut, replace, rebuild that area. I am thinking some good Master Series Silver undercoating, sanding, and primer before paint.

I wire-brushed and painted it with rust-buster. I am trying to avoid using filler, but.......

Fun fact: vis a vis the tab that the chrome ring screws into, and also the lower corner for the buckets: Right and left and are the same, there is NOT a mirror image of these tabs.

So THIS is what I am facing. I elected to try and do it with "segments", instead of trying to make one big piece. I follow "Fitzees Fabrications" on YouTube, and he has some pretty good tips for people like me..You can see where that tab is almost completely gone.

So, after 2 of the 4 parts needed to make the repair.....

Believe it of not, these 2 pieces took about 4 hours. I love fabricating.....I'm just not very efficient.
Remember, it's just steel.. it's just steel...it's just steel....
Oh, BTW, the "30mm" you see refers to the distance from the rim of the "bowl" to the front of the tab.

So 2 more pieces to go, (is it obvious?) then, dress up the lip, make that work, and then spot weld in the 2 part tab, drill and tap it for the lens holder and bucket holder, then drill the hole for the drain.

Done....
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Repairs, ad infinatum Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:

Believe it of not, these 2 pieces took about 4 hours. I love fabricating.....I'm just not very efficient.
Remember, it's just steel.. it's just steel...it's just steel....

I know right!!! While guys like us are making progress...It just seems to soo much slower than we would like. Just like your Mantra "it's just steel", I like to to also mumble to myself,
"It's just another step closer to completion".

AND Driving, WHOOOP!

Carry on my good Sir.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 39

Jump to: