Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

…Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm…
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

I’m looking for some technical advice for setting up a “drift buggy”. My only goal is to drift the outer edge of a soy bean/corn farm while the fields are empty. I have the resources to grade here and there, but laying down a flat track all the way around is out of the question. I’d be hitting mainly 1st and 2nd gear with a stock 69 irs, in a long wheel base dp1600 sand rail, equipped with a kingpin front end and a L/R cutting break. What would you change to sail sideways over row after row of muddy crop stubble?? Thanks in advance!!
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

If you drift sideways into crop rows at any speed over say 10mph you risk damage to your rims and suspension and stand a pretty good chance of roll over. You also better have the farmers permission before you go, I know a farmer that had a kid put a pickup on its side in one of his fields. The farmer put his loader forks through the bottom of the truck and carried it to the edge of the field where he dropped it on its roof, and then called for the wrecker to come pick up the remains.
That said, I also knew some guys up in Maine that used to intentionally roll a Baja bug with a full cage in a field for fun. Takes all kinds. Smile
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

I agree, you will likely catch an edge and roll multiple times. I crushed my brother's arm
messing around in 40 acres of beans.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

Not much help with the suspension but my dad lets me run the outer edge of the fields not being used. I simply run a land plane around with the tractor to ensure no big ruts. With the wide tires on the buggy it’s more like running a stock car than a buggy but this frame is heavy and was once set up for racing on a local track. My other frame is very light with next to nothing for wight on the front end. It doesn’t fair so well going round and round.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

This topic got me remembering all the screwing around in the mud and dirt I've done/watched in my life. I remember going to the dirt track races when I was in high school and seeing cars catch a rut in the banked corners and flip, and that's about as perfect as dirt conditions get. Point is if you drift in dirt, be ready to roll.
Here's a video of what I'm talking about. At about the 1:22 mark a car catches a minor rut in a corner and goes over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvPc5-XVYVU
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the safety tips. I’ve already installed harnesses, padding on the bars around the cockpit and leg area, and have a good helmet. I’m seriously considering lowering the rear. It currently has bald tires on it which I’ll be leaving on. I’m also going to throw some weight on at the very front. I’ll probably break out the tractor and flatten out the curves. After all that, I think I’ll just wait for the ground to get good and soft and give it a go!
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

Don't forget the window net or arm restraints. I used to work for a guy that grabbed the cage in a roll over. His hand still looks like a bag of smashed hotdogs. Shocked
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

"Here, hold my beer and watch this"!!! LOL Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

Thanks for that comforting image Farmer Bill…after reading that post I had to take a long look at my piano. Window nets are on the way!
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

I have rolled my buggy a few times now. No big deal! That’s why you have a Roll Cage.

Worst so far was a bent front rim and a flat back tire. A friend went got a spare front tire and rim and a cheep 12 volt compressor with a shot of starter fluid had the big back tire back on the bead in no time. Back playing on the hill climbs and running the trails in less than 30 min. The other times I ended up back on my wheels started her up and simply attacked the climb again.

Talked with some of the guys that ride in the group and in all the years they have been rideing they say they had two real serious incidents. One was a guy playing hard with no belts on, rolled and died, the other was someone driving off a cliff, that ended with a concussion and a broken arm. With his wreck they claim he was wearing the belt too loose and if it had been tight enough to keep him in place he would have avoided the concussion. No answer when I asked how his arm got broke but I assume he let go of the wheel and it got outside the cage.

Running the field my buggies haven’t even come close to rolling. The light one just gets op on its rear wheels and smoothly slides around till I,m so far off line I have to let off. No steering so no real control and using the turning brake just results in a spin out. The other buggy is like driving a stock car. Punch it counter steer and it stays planted right on the line you set. I can even change lines to some extent with a little manipulation of the wheel and engine rpm.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

not sure where in MO op is from but I'm in s.w. mo, and round these parts dirt track racing is pretty popular. you might try talking to some of those guys or researching how those guys set up their shit, especially if you plan on going the same direction around that field all the time.

back in the early 90's I used to love " drifting " my old old Honda 250R 3 wheeler. and best way I got it loosie goosie was with lawn mower tires on the rear. poor traction, and lowered the center of gravity
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farva_84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

There is a 40ft wide lane of grass around the barn. I’m using it as my testing grounds as I get used to buggy’s manners…she’s long and light. While the grass was wet, I was able to skate around the corners with ease just using the throttle. I’m looking forward to getting some “field” testing done once it warms up a little. Seeing as it was once a beetle, if I do happen happen to roll, I’m immediately dubbing it the “Rolly Polly.” Forgive the bad humor…that’s just how I roll……yep, couldn’t stop it if I had to…Thanks for all the feedback, I’ll keep you posted. The desire to slide around the farm is a tough one to ignore!
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: …Drifting the Outer Skirts of a “Row Crop” Farm… Reply with quote

Farva wrote:
Quote:
if I do happen to roll, I’m immediately dubbing it the “Rolly Polly.”

How about "Tumble Bug"???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

GOOD LUCK and STAY WELL!! Cool Cool

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: