Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Here is the only time I've used the front attachment for a light snatch out of a mud hole. Maybe if i had bash plates and carried more speed I might have gotten through it. But probably not. Even 4x4s were getting stuck in this one

Second video when getting snatched I ended up with a tree sump going under the car and getting stuck on that.

Link

Link
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I was watching this youtube link below, and I noticed the odd BFG tire size: 32x10.00R15.

Interesting...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I was watching this youtube link below, and I noticed the odd BFG tire size: 32x10.00R15.

Yep they're pretty big! Karstan has had to chop out a lot of the wheel well to fit those. I'm about to go nearly as big.
Had to chop out already and move the jacking point rearwards to fit the previous 215/85r16

New is 235/85r16 (31.7")
Will have to cut or bend the external parts of the dogleg and wheel arch for these I think

Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

While I'm here might upload some random adventure photos. This thing has gone everywhere I've wanted to go so far. One trip was 2 and a half months of daily off road/Sand island driving. Does better than a lot of 4x4s.

This thread is dead! There must be some other off road buses on here. Post some pics!
Or build your own Baja bus 😁 I can tell you what mistakes not to make 😆

Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Just realized I've seen 1 or 2 vids of you going through some gnarly stuff.
Can't imagine that's possible without lockers.
So watcha got if you don't mind me asking?
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Yes Earl Bay you are correct. It has a ratcheting style locker in a 1600 3 rib box with low ratios. Can't remember ratios exactly.
Have off roaded without the locker and it makes a huge difference in stuff where you pick up a wheel. Which is quite a lot more than you'd think.
Can still go well without, just more momentum needed. For most sand driving it makes no difference if youre deflated (less than 10psi!!)
The Yellow bus has less power and no locker but did better than me at a very difficult beach exit. Bigger tyres though.
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

By 3-rib you are referring to the 002 from the early bays that had lower gearing I guess.
I'll admit I have no real clue how the different lockers really work in detail.
Whats that ratcheting style locker? Is that the ZF LSD?
The ZF LSD is hard to come buy, doesn't last forever and is big $$$ if you find one.
It appears a Peloquin/Quaife is the only real option.
Even if it doesn't help much the moment your not moving anymore.
Could that problem on the torsion based diffs be solved with a split handbrake?

Just thinking out loud, have a 002 box that I wanted to modify some time in the not so far future.
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Yep a late 002.
I think the brand of my locker is Weddle and it's a mechanical ratcheting style. Works amazing off road but is horrible to drive with on the street. As soon as I apply any throttle the rear wheels are locked solid.
I thought about having a split handbrake and it would be useful occasionally. However when you're actually offroading I doubt it's possible to use one effectively.
A vw bus offroad is a handful and I pretty much always need both hands on the steering wheel in any situation where a wheel is lifting. There is no way I'd be able to grab a handbrake lever when bouncing up a trail!
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Well I have the OG beam all cleaned up and reinstalled along with the lift spindles.
For some reason at ride height my arms are now angled down so much that they're pretty much on the bump stops!
There are no adjusters on this beam. It's the one OG to the car.

On my fabbed beam I just removed, the arms were sitting much closer to horizontal and more at a mid point between the bumpstops at ride height.

Any ideas why? It will come down with some weight in it but really seems like in this OG configuration the car is sprung up! Maybe on my other beam the adjusters were not in the same location as the original holding screw.
Can see both sides here..

Can anyone spot the other issue? One I was expecting to need to fix.

The spindles alone give me so much more ground clearance. As it sits now I've gone from 310mm to 430mm from ground to beam tube. That's 120mm! Or 5 inches extra ground clearance now! I love it.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Money well spent if you want to lift your bus Cool

Welcome to the lifted life brother.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

What a bad ass rig. I just live on the wrong continent. Which also leads me to say that our euro definition of offroad is probably your definition of overlanding at best.
If it's not tarmac it's offroad, the literal definition if you want. I guess some gnarly stuff can be found but it's not much and usually not allowed, At least not in central Europe. Spain and Scandinavia maybe. But then again a damp and slimy forest service road is all you might need to get in trouble without a locker.

Back to your Weddle locker: Didn't know they made any. Can't find it on their website but found a PDF on a mini locker for type 2's

https://weddleindustries.com/sites/weddleindustries.com/files/downloads/5255-INST.pdf

As per your description 'horrible on tarmac' it could be that, they say 'not made for highway use'
So not what I'd want in a daily that spends 97% of it's time on tarmac either.
It really sounds like a torsion diff with 40% is the only option that makes sense. For me.

Unless somebody knows if there is a possibility of getting a syncro like locker to work. Pneumatic on off only when you need it I mean.
I've heard rumors about one in a 181 but it might just be that, rumors. Or some sort of modification I guess.
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

There is a French crew of dubbers who like to do trails and things in vws. I think their page on facebook is called 'off road trippers'.
Bloke with a green lowlight takes it to some fun looking trails. Maybe you can tag along?

But yes that is the type of locker I have. Very clunky and tyres wear quickly but ilI still do a lot of road trips in it sometimes 700km away.

You can fit a syncro locker to an earlier T2 gearbox with pneumatic engagement. My gearbox guy has done it and its a possible but a lot of work. It was an expensive addition to an already expensive gearbox rebuild so I passed on it this time. Would be so much better though!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VW always had limited slip of some sort as an option in a bay window. ZF in the early ones. I've seen a few for sale over the years, but they are very rare.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming the syncro locker, will have to dig into that then.

And jup, aware of those guys, I've met the owner of the green one and been on a trip with others. They eat more than they drive though Laughing
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Debating on upgrading to a larger tire size. I initially considered the General Grabber 27/8.5/14 measured at 26.9" total height. Keep it Simple Stupid, right.

Then since I was switching out might as well consider all the other options, the good and bad...

To go even larger I considered going to Passat or Mercedes 15" wheels to achieve a 27.4"+ tire with 205/75/15 or 215/75/15, then things start getting complicated. Weights, clearances, rubbing, ET's, Offsets, wheel widths, steel/alloy, lug nuts, etc.

The reality is I just want to squeeze a larger tire for looks and personnel preference. I like how sxuxrxf's bus has the radial swampers (28"-29") but required 2.5" spindle to fit.

Now lets say I don't go to that large of swamper but closer to a 27.5" on stock no lifted bus?

Anyone know is the Super Swamper 27x9.50R14LT Tire, SSR Radial - SSR-02R would work on a stock height bus. Specs below. The 9.5 maybe too wide or maybe minor rubbing?

Tire Size: 27x9.50R14LT
Black Side Wall
Load Range: C
Max Load: 1585
Tread Depth = 21/32
Overall Diameter: 27.5"

FYI I have a regeared 002 from benco powered by subaru 2.2l.

Edit: Fixed Link
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/super-swamper-tsl-ssr-radial-tires/1102

Last edited by Convoy on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I feel like a Super Swamper would look cool, but offer a poor ride on the road/highway. Personally I think the Grabbers fill out the wheel well nicely and offer a nice ride, both on and off road.

How does your bus sit? Have you adjusted the rear torsion to lift it?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Rich,
No clicks, no sag, no adjustments. Ya the swampers would be different. I have them in a 33/12.5/15 size on a bronco previously and they road nice but drowned down the highway at speed. Thought maybe the 27” wouldn’t be as bad but should ride marginally better at a smaller size… well maybe lol
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

For reference to stock wheel well (stock height) vs tire size, here are my 195R14 Hankooks mounted on my bus. This configuration does fill the void somewhat, but IMO not enough. Plus a little larger tire size will ever so slightly lower the RPMs for a subaru conversion.

Anyone have similar images to the general grabber 27/8.5/14 mounted in a similar profile to verify if the general grabbers will be much larger in appearance?

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Not a pic of mounted General Grabbers but here are my 215/65/16 XL tires on ET33 rims on my stock height Bus. They are 27" in dia and slightly larger than my spare which is a General Grabber 27x8.5x14

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Looks good but they would rub for sure right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 92

Jump to: