Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

First post, please be gentle Smile

I've made a fairly new purchase of a Taipan buggy (Perth, Australia) and its currently running a swingaxle gearbox with a 1600 dual port motor. Enjoying the experience, had been looking for a long time to find the right one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Appears to be running a 40mm centre mounted Weber DCNF, 009 mech adv only distributor and a set of aftermarket headers with no manifold heating up tubes.

For the most part the buggy runs well, but off idle its got a nasty flat spot. After sitting idle at the lights it also seems to fuel up, black smoke on take-off. Starts fine, idles fine, runs reasonably clean from 1/4 throttle on.

Have read a vacuum advance distributor or a more powerful ignition/distributor combo can assist here. I also have a carb rebuild kit that came with the buggy, which Im planning to fit shortly as its no real cost except for time here. What about fuel pressure, could this be too high, its running mech fuel pump, looks newish.

But after reading about how hard it is to get these centre mount carbs to run well (especially as I dont have the manifold heaters and dont want to change the exhaust to get these) Im considering options.

1. Swap the existing carbs for a set of dual Empi 40mm HPMF IDF (about $750 AUD here for the kit from sherryberg off Amazon). Yes, Ive heard quality issues, but dual webers are unobtainable here and Im not willing to spend more than $1k on carbs. https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09J2D1SD4/?coliid=I2..._lig_dp_it

2. Look at Fitech or Holley Sniper EFI. Estimates are about $2k AUD here for all the kit needed and DIY type install. Tuning could be difficult here in Australia though and reading they arent really suited for aircooled motors, i.e. water temp sensor and mainly for V8 or larger capacity engines.

3. Subaru engine swap. This is currently the winning option in my head. Plenty of Outbacks and Imprezas here for sub $4k.

With the Subaru swap, I was leading towards the EJ25 but not sure how well the existing swingarm transaxle will handle this power (not looking for outright speed or hard driving). Should I aim more for a smaller capacity EJ20 or EJ22 instead?

Working through the research of parts here, seems radiator mounting and wiring would be the most difficult to me. Busaru, RJES and a few other sites have lots of useful info it seems. Front mount looks to be complex piping wise, but I have room up there. Thinking with the buggy I might do side mount instead with some ducting, seems to be decent room inside the guards.[/url]
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Nice looking buggy, very clean. So you are enjoying the experience, but have a flat spot off idle. Dont want to deal with tuning a center mount carb, or figuring our how to add heat risers to your manifold, but are willing to go down the Subaru swap rabbit hole? You realize that will be vastly more complicated and expensive than dealing with what you currently have, and will probably leave you without a buggy to drive for a couple of years? Its your buggy, but if you are enjoying it, why not do a little work and keep enjoying it. Could be as simple as setting the timing for total advance, adjusting your accelerator pump, finding the right jetting. Maybe a picture of the manifold and exhaust to see if you can add heat.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
Nice looking buggy, very clean. So you are enjoying the experience, but have a flat spot off idle. Dont want to deal with tuning a center mount carb, or figuring our how to add heat risers to your manifold, but are willing to go down the Subaru swap rabbit hole? You realize that will be vastly more complicated and expensive than dealing with what you currently have, and will probably leave you without a buggy to drive for a couple of years? Its your buggy, but if you are enjoying it, why not do a little work and keep enjoying it. Could be as simple as setting the timing for total advance, adjusting your accelerator pump, finding the right jetting. Maybe a picture of the manifold and exhaust to see if you can add heat.

Very well said. Keep it aircooled and fix the the small issues you have. Water does not belong in a nice looking Buggy unless for it is used for the windshield washer Laughing
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

joemama wrote:

Appreciate the feedback here, yep, thats the sort of info I was looking for.

Trying to determine best course of action here. I'm going to start with a rebuild on the existing DCNF and see what this yields. The existing exhaust manifold doesnt have the manifold heat risers outlets and the inlet manifold doesnt have the connections to accept these on it either. So would need a change of both exhaust and inlet manifold to get that heating system configured. I did not there is an electric heater option that wraps around the manifold, not sure how effective that is though.

Im prepared to purchase in the dual 40mm IDA Empi kit also and upgrade the existing ignition system if thats going to yield a better result here without all the mucking around of the current setup. I did consider the dual 34mm ICT option, but seems the 40 IDA is a better option if I do want more power and response from the existing twin port. It seems like the centre mount DCNF option is troublesome based on multiple forum searching. Lots of comments about either ignition issues with the 009 or the long inlet runners giving headaches (especially without the manifold heaters).

Ultimately I do want fuel injection for reliability, ease of starting, tuning and fuel economy. The Holley Sniper and FiTech options seem do-able, but given the expense involved the whole Subaru debate comes into play. Modern subaru conversion does interest me but yes, its a big step and would put the buggy off the road for quite some time if I DIY it. Ive seen a few offroad buggies go up for sale with subaru conversions, so keeping an ear out for one of those so it's more of a bolt in conversion rather than starting from scratch with a donor subaru vehicle that needs dissasembly and indivual parts to completed the conversion.

I probably should be looking at the front disk conversion to go along here, power is nothing without control. That is on the list.

The buggy seems well put together, handles good and Im just looking to get some reliable, driveable power out of it to make it that little bit more enjoyable to drive without the worry factor that it currently has.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

I understand your frustrating with the present drivability, but - an engine conversion is a very extreme solution to a simple problem. I would have to agree with the previous posters. If adding heat to the present system is too daunting then a complete Subaru conversion with all it's tuning, cooling system and wiring issues is going to leave you with a disassembled project to trip over for years to come.

If you are truly happy with how the Buggy runs except for the drivability issues, then just fix that. I would say that 90% of your problem is the lack of manifold heat. A carb rebuild will likely accomplish nothing. Fuel pressure needs checking for sure, that would be my first step. My second would be to find a good stock carb, intake and matching distributor. Adding heat from your present header is simple and easy. Those electric heaters you talked about would be like putting a band aid on a broken leg in my view. Totally inadequate.

If you are really so dead set against fixing the manifold heat then buy the dual carbs but be prepared to do some tuning. They are not plug and play!

Any center mounted throttle body injection will likely need manifold heat too. Port injection will not.

I love that Buggy by the way, especially the color!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

009's have a flat spot right off idle - it's a well documented "problem". Swap it for a 019 and you will eliminate that issue. Quite a few 019/010 distributors for sale in the classifieds fully restored. Start there then decide if you want to go to the dual carbs. Doing that doubles your tuning issues Smile

Purchase your dual kits from a known retailer, like Pierce Manifolds. There is no reason they won't ship to Australia. And you can put a single 40 IDA in the middle.... may not clear your bodywork though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

I would check the fuel pressure first. Some new fuel pumps put out way too much pressure, which could surely explain the black smoke (possibly flooding) at idle. You could then check float level in the carb if the fuel pressure is good.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued feedback here, giving me some good insights.

Thinking I will try the following first here:

New distributor to replace the 009 that has known "off-idle" flat spot issues (COMPU-FIRE 11100-B DIS-IX or Magnaspark II kit - can't seem to find an 019 supplier locally over here in Perth, Australia).

Check the fuel pressure, the pump looks new, perhaps pushing too much pressure into the system.

Potentially swap out the intake manifold and exhaust for something with the heat risers. After pricing that though ($260 for the intake manifold, $500 for the exhaust) it seems to be about the same as an EMPI 40mm dual carb setup, so might go down that route instead.

I'll pull down the existing carb too, did note some signs of fuel leakage around the accelerator pump on the outside.

Last edited by MattisRattis on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

If you go the dual carbs route, then you can stick with 009 distributor 'cuz duals usually don't have enough vacuum. I have dual brosol 32mm carbs with 009, and I love the way this runs in my 1600dp daily driver kitcar; no flat spot, good low RPM torque, but limited upper end with nearly stock exhaust. BTW your buggy's color and smooth flowing curves look soo goood !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Quote:
If you go the dual carbs route, then you can stick with 009 distributor 'cuz duals usually don't have enough vacuum.

If I go dual carbs, does the issue with the 009 not giving timing advance early enough become null/void? I know I can't run the vacuum component of the SVDA with the twins, but does the lack of advance at the low RPM off idle still present a flat spot issue with the duals or does the extra fueling sort of get around this?

I guess the need for manifold heating goes away also because they sit directly above the cylinders.

Quote:
BTW your buggy's color and smooth flowing curves look soo goood !!

Thanks, I really wanted a manx shape, but not many available here in Perth, WA. This is a Taipan MK II as far as I can tell, but has had the windscreen fibreglass covering cut away. Its been pretty nicely done, full rebuild about two years ago apparently and put together well. The colour is spot on for me too, it reminds me of the Porsche GT3 green.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

MattisRattis wrote:
... 009 not giving timing advance early enough ...

There are lots of different 009 mechanical advance only distributors. I have 2; one made in Brasil, other in China. The Chinese 009 has very little advance and is inconsistent, but my Brasilian 009 works excellent. It gives a bit of an advance even at low idle...

Static timing => 7.5° BTDC
Idle ~750rpm => 9° BTDC
Full ~3K rpm => 30° BTDC
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
MattisRattis wrote:
... 009 not giving timing advance early enough ...

There are lots of different 009 mechanical advance only distributors. I have 2; one made in Brasil, other in China. The Chinese 009 has very little advance and is inconsistent, but my Brasilian 009 works excellent. It gives a bit of an advance even at low idle...

Static timing => 7.5° BTDC
Idle ~750rpm => 9° BTDC
Full ~3K rpm => 30° BTDC

Thanks, I’ll see if I can work out which make the 009 is I have installed. Don’t think I have a timing light so can’t check the advance yet.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Be aware that regardles of what carburetor you use, the 009 distributor is timed by total advance, not at idle. You want your total advance at no more than 32 degrees, maybe 30, to be safe. If the timing is not set this way, that could be part of your flat spot. I have used a Brazilian 009 with a single weber 40 idf, dual 40 idf, and a single Zenith 32. Its worked great with all of the above.
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Had some time to give the buggy a bit of a better look over.

Twin carbs seems like it's going to be a challenge with the rear cradle barwork mine has on it, the carbs are going to hit those or at the best the filters are. Also going to make a subaru swap difficult without removing the whole rear cradle barwork as it also tucks around and under the engine. That EFI option is looking better by the day Very Happy

You can also see in the pic that the fuel filter has quite a bit of debris in it (looks like blue sealant), perhaps from someone re-sealing the fuel sender inspection cap (the PO mentioned he had replaced the sender recently). I'll swap that out.

Here's my distributor, about to go research which model 009 it is (Edit: googled around and seems its one of the later model German built models so thats sounding positive):

Here's the Weber 40 DCNF, can see some slight fuel residue around the accelerator pump (doesn't seem too bad):

So I think from here I need to focus on the ignition system/timing and see if I can get this component buttoned down first. Along with also getting the fuel filter replaced and the fuel pressure checked.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

My twin Webers are a tight fit too under the Buggy body and very little service can be done to them without taking them off. It's a total pain. Even servicing the air cleaners requires them to come off. Then the carbs have to be re-synced every time!

Again - any FI that adds fuel at the throttle body and is located where your carb is now is going to have the same issues you have now. I would suggest looking into the FI from a Mexican Beetle. At least use the intake manifolds that have the injectors at the head.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

I've only run DCNF's in pairs. It's pretty rare to see just a single on a center mount. And maybe that's the issue. Are you sure it's a DCNF and nor a DFEV or something similar? DCNF's don't like long runners, which may be (if it is one) that it's loading up at idle. Maybe investigate a different carburetor meant for stock-ish engines. 40's may be too big for the motor - step it down to a 36DFEV or DFAV and see what you get.
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

Quote:
I've only run DCNF's in pairs. It's pretty rare to see just a single on a center mount. And maybe that's the issue. Are you sure it's a DCNF and nor a DFEV or something similar? DCNF's don't like long runners, which may be (if it is one) that it's loading up at idle. Maybe investigate a different carburetor meant for stock-ish engines. 40's may be too big for the motor - step it down to a 36DFEV or DFAV and see what you get.

Yep, it's stamped as a 40 DCNF and yep the more I hear that these with a centre mount manifold with no pre-heating is a big no-no :

Also went to do an oil change on it, only to find the person that built the rear cradle around the engine has put a cross bar under the sump which means the oil screen cover is inaccessible Sad So going to need to cut that out with the angle grinder, dont want to be taking the whole rear bar work off the car just to change the oil.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

I am not sure that a cross bar like that would serve any real useful purpose.
MattisRattis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Carb, Aftermarket EFI or Subaru Conversion - Taipan Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I am not sure that a cross bar like that would serve any real useful purpose.

I think it’s perhaps been put in there originally to bolt the bash plate (can see it in my garage floor underneath the engine). Perhaps to provide rigidity in the middle, but I reckon if you did hit a rock there it would potentially just serve to punch into the oil strainer instead.

It’s coming off with the angle grinder, no way I’m taking that whole rear cage off just to change the oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: