Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Karmann Ghia restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

anyone remember the old pharmacy companies on Shoreline Blvd.? I do.

I attended a presentation by Marc Addreessen just as UIC (University of Chicago) decided they were gonna start fundraising from their alumni.

OH.SORRY.... building was almost immediately taken over by $GOOG /Google. Wasn't that some biotech company? ....
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

the only other time I ran into him was during a $NSCP /Netscape interview after $MSFT /Microsoft gig. No thanks ... 100 hour weeks to combat @billg is not for me (having the HP NewWave experience) when considering the job offer (first non-UIC to be offered a job on team). I declined [[[ Palin was an a-hole when I told him how we did cross-platform coding for Powerpoint ]]] ....

... the only person that made a good impression was Brendan Eich who was experimenting with this Javascript idea and bringing it to life.
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Powerpoint credentials and quiz. how good is ur PP #trivia?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hint: #cheatsheet @ https://www.robertgaskins.com/

Last edited by kimkinzie on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

sorry ... <bored> ... twittling thumbs until delivery arrives ....
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

'the quieter you are, the more you can hear' -- N.O.L.A.-con

white noise === 'mask' for true intensions (see: 'hidden agenda', or 'bluff')

компромисс
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

These last few posts are related to a '69 Ghia restormod, right?

The Samba rules are here
Please stay on topic. Thanks

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

YES, I am waiting for parts .. and kinda <bored>. I can post to my own topic can't I, or is this some type of poor etiquette?

regarding this thread:
RCP Phx wrote:
I just read your other thread and all I can say is you bought a nightmare and will spend a lifetime fixing what the previous owner "sold" you. You better have a lot of cash and time for this project!

regarding learning via Youtube:
QRP wrote:

From my observation about "how to" or "look what I did" on YouTube is that guys that really know their shit don't have the time to make a YouTube channel, they're to busy do it right and not looking for a pat on the back.

IMHO Rolling Eyes

regarding my priorities:
txoval wrote:
I don't want you to take this as a smartass comment, but I recommend repairing your floor pans before driving. One big bump and you could be in big trouble

After being dog-piled, attempted shame, and downright stupid advice from some in the Performance group (see https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764206), I am stinking up my own poo pile. I presume that you can unsubscribe at any time. I am doing my best to establish credentials in a forum that seems more geared to years-of-service, and numbers-of-posts, not innovation and discovery., or perhaps <intelligence>, debugging skills, and ideas. My misconception, I guess ...

These are Karmann Ghia parts that are holding up the project. Amazon really sucks, .. heading to Carquest to pick up spare parts.... Perhaps I should spend more time commenting on prices of Ghias rather than what it takes to keep one running .... My attempts in this thread it to show just how *UGLY* and skin deep these show cars are. Untuned, unmanaged, with bling in the most stupid places ... fine if you value fluff over substance. Since the <process> of a PROJECT (which this thread is presumably) is not appreciated, I will just show the final results of some hobby efforts.

This forum doesn't have a *DELETE MSG* command/ability/functionality. I could remove 'em if the software would let me ..... [[[ OP privileges, I presume, noticed my removed pictures already, I also bless/request removing first 5 messages on page (3) of this thread. ]]]. I will just write about it going forward to make it easier on everyone and not invite unsolicited criticism, sarcasm, or trolls that <images>, <approach>, and <insight> seem to elicit.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

I agree, Amazon sucks.. You should try buying from Amazon when in New Zealand. It takes a lot of patience. I'm seldom sure who or where the supplier is and if I'm going to get stuff made of Chinesium.

We have some favourite vendors that support the Ghia community so when you're parts shopping there's a good chance of success if you go with ones we've found are quite good. Sure it's not as modern as you might like but it does keep things away from the Amazon global supply chain.

Look in stickies for the buying/shopping guide

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Ridculous.ness from a delivery logistics business. A "TBAxxx" tracking indicates it will go through Amazon's network of delivery vehicles and 'contractors' (last mile contract folks)

Amazon can't find / refuses to find / wants to make an example ... their way to my doorstep from the <regional> distribution center less than 70 miles away.

<sad>. .. imagine this if you are <down under> or got this treatment half a world away. I don't buy car parts, but also plenty of other bits and bobs for experiments, prototypes, and inventions. The 90 day 'history' navigation bar at bottom of orders&returns page shows just how much stuff I buy over time. Somehow, for whatever reason (maybe even *scanning, monitoring, and synthesizing* == 'crawling', spidering, or 'googling' your site) to make an example???? Oh, please NEO, this is *NOT* the #matrix....

TCP/IP (aka. Internet) - it's a piece of fault tolerant load-balancing packet-based routing technology ... invented by and for the military, Surveillance made easy via $FB[i] for people boasting misbehavior never mind Insta, $AMZN for your mind's eye (book retailer - 'what are you thinking'), or $GOOG for your wishes and desires. Ad networks (your attention, $$$, and mental health) are at stake ....

background check: you can search my twitter for "Hier in Deutschland sitzt die NSA" or here: https://no-spy.org/2015/09/13/nsa-standorte-in-deutschland/ [Bad Aibling, see "A Good American" on Netflix about @Bill_Binney]
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Profile Picture

back on track! .. an actual (hopefully non-controversial) picture of a ... Ghia (first ever of this beast after purchase)

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Hero Shot

today they call this a money shot. Camera down low. fore:pavement mid:Karmann Ghia back:time will test your ability to withstand <rust> and <cancer> or <ptsd> [[[ the disease of #secrets ]]]

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

maybe .. just maybe ... it is about the journey, adventure, and friends you make along the way

not the posturing, primping, and ego pandering that seems to define our modern day era. [[[ extreme #narcissism ]]]. As @king_karmann clearly quotes in his profile "Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity" --Rick Rigsby

Pick your Poison
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

Peter Sprague

perhaps this only applies to boomers, old volks, and dinosaurs:

"I would recommend to all teenagers that they not only struggle to get into college, struggle to get into graduate school, struggle to join a successful firm, struggle to create a family and struggle towards family security for themselves and their family. Take some time off, as early in your life as possible. There is more than one world out there. You were born by accident but you have a role to play. Take risks, search for your role in this world and live it."

--Peter Sprague

https://sprague.com/pjs/Peter%20Sprague.html

https://sprague.com/peter-sprague/aston-martin/
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

kimkinzie wrote:
maybe .. just maybe ... it is about the journey, adventure, and friends you make along the way

not the posturing, primping, and ego pandering that seems to define our modern day era. [[[ extreme #narcissism ]]]. As @king_karmann clearly quotes in his profile "Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity" --Rick Rigsby

Pick your Poison

A gentle suggestion.
Please take some time to read this thread;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723793

It's 298 pages and counting of Trylon's journey.
I think you will discover after reading that we are just a group of folks that love to help, have questions, give answers & share our collective knowledge. That thread exemplifies our commitment to each other, whether you have been a member for a day or a decade.
Everyone has their own way of getting their points (and opinions across)
If you can step back and sift the wheat from the chaff you will have an enjoyable experience.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

oooops .. got off <topic>

kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Everyone has their own way of getting their points (and opinions across)
If you can step back and sift the wheat from the chaff you will have an enjoyable experience.

I just want to document my journey (and how I got here) .. with complete <respect>. There is a fountain of knowledge here I would like to tap into, and I am quite well isolated with a *very* thick skin. There is always a tendency to rip/tease/nail a newcomer .. but I always caution about making assumptions about an individual.

You present very well-spoken comments. The Performance group have some amazing talent. I just wish to carry on without trolls on my tail. I get enough of that in real life. This stuff is for ME in the end, so I can look back and see just how far I've come in the <end> .. but then again, the path is the reward. I just want to drive in peace, play with gravity, and fly with the flow.

Last edited by kimkinzie on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

live.love.learn

has always been my overriding philosophy on <life>. Just like Rick Rigsby encourages us to learn from mistakes, it is a same twist on the basic truths

* live - discover something that ignites your passion
* love - immerse yourself in the ethos and magic of the process
* learn - build on knowledge, scale greater heights, <self-correct from mistakes>

It just pains me to see those that take short cuts, feign expertise, or put down the heartfelt efforts of others. Sorry for my inability to temper my response. I'll get better. [[[ Twitter creates a very caustic style ]]]. It's been years since I've used a forum. The last time was on "Raging Bull" attempting to stamp / flush out nefarious criminal behavior in early 2000's ...
kimkinzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Karmann Ghia restomod Reply with quote

projects

machine shop today, MIG welder this weekend
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: