Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression….
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

There's definitely something going on with the shimming and the rocker studs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

took a couple more pictures of the rockers...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

No way in hell those are set up right.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Note to self . . . Don't roll motor around in a sand box before disassembling.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

What's going on in the circled area? Try and get a better pic - original pic is too low res but looks like a divot and maybe a crack between the valve seats?

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

Good eye. Its def chipped. I dont think it crosses into the valve seat. Will clean it up and see....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogmeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

its almost certainly the rings and/or cylinder and nothing to do with the valves. the proof of that would be to see if there is a valve that is really loose in the guide. especially the intake guide.

3 ways to get oil in the cylinder are worn out guide, worn rings/ barrel, or a crack (the crack has to enter an oil area).

feel the outer edge of the rings. is there any feathering? does it feel like a step? even a tiny one. if so that a sign of worn out. measure the side clearance and end gaps on the rings

also, look at the forward edge of the piston. see how clean it looks. to me that indicates burning lean due to an air leak. my bet is it was constantly overheating that cylinder and took the temper out of the rings
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

When are we going to check the ring gap?
Check for light tight?
Measure the cylinder?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

That isn't gas in the cylinder and head, that's pure oil. That engine must have been putting out a blue smoke screen where ever it went. Unless of course that plug was fouled up so bad it was not firing anymore.

Show us the spark plugs.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

I vote for a full rebuild. Stop looking at it. The pistons show clearly that the engine overheated. I bet that happened due to a lack of air flow past the cylinders, due to the dirt dam! Seen that one a few times.

Your best bet is to tear it all down. Send the case out to get inspected for cracks and to be sure the lifters bores are still good. Then get it aligned bored and rebuild it.

And when you do go through the mud, be sure to rinse the engine really good when you get back home!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

@OP - did you run the engine? Was there obvious blow-by?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out why cyl 1 has 0 compression…. Reply with quote

In the other thread you said fuel was pouring out the booster on the 1/2 side, for how long? If running for any amount of time you are going to fuel wash that cylinder and eventually loose compression.

The heads are mexican vw castings and the lack of burnt oil in the rocker area doesnt look overheated much. If you dont clearance the stock rocker when running the swivel foot adjuster you have to space the shit out of the rockers to get some adjustability. That scoring on the cylinder doesnt help. The amount of oil in the cylinder shows why you have low compression, if you cant control oil no way to hold pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: