Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any experience with this compressor?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

I'm about to pull the switch and buy a bigger compressor. I've been at this for a week and it looks like I may have to settle for an Ingersoll Rand SS4L5 from Tractor Supply @$899 since they have one. Everything else is weeks away.

It's single stage, 60 gal but they say 14.1cfm@90 and 100% continuous duty pump.

Any feedback here?

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

I have one, just hauled it to the loft of my barn so it's not hogging up floorspace. It's decent, and relatively quiet, much quieter than the smaller 2 stage Dayton that it replaced. It keeps up well with my. bead blast cabinet, which is the test of any compressor. Mine was second hand with a 3 phase motor, which I swapped for a single phase 220V motor. So far I'm pleased with it.
Put a good moisture filter on the outgoing side, and get an auto moisture drain for the bottom tank valve.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

Just what I wanted to hear esde. Thanks. I’m not gonna be shooting full cars all day or sanding the Big Mo or anything.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I have one, just hauled it to the loft of my barn so it's not hogging up floorspace. It's decent, and relatively quiet, much quieter than the smaller 2 stage Dayton that it replaced. It keeps up well with my. bead blast cabinet, which is the test of any compressor. Mine was second hand with a 3 phase motor, which I swapped for a single phase 220V motor. So far I'm pleased with it.
Put a good moisture filter on the outgoing side, and get an auto moisture drain for the bottom tank valve.

How hot is it up in your barn's loft in summer? It likely would be happier outside the barn where it can cool itself easier. Extend the roof by maybe 4ft. to put it in the shade and out of direct sunlight. It will make less condensation as well. $.02
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

What motor did you replace it with?

Was recently given an IR two stage with 440 three phase.

Did you also replace the pressure switch?

Thanks
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any experience with this compressor? Reply with quote

When I was researching compressors I came across several references that IR compressors tend to overdrive the pumps to get the rated CFM. Running the pump at higher RPM will create extra heat and by extension extra moisture in the charge. You want pump RPM to be below 1100.

Consider putting an aftercooler between the pump and the tank and placing a water separator just before the tank inlet. You can DIY it with a transmission oil cooler and a 1500 CFM axial fan. I built mine for under $200. PM me if you want more details and part numbers. Here is a link to a post outlining the build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8524984#8524984

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: