Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

So, I am a nut about having all my electrical work. There's not much so I figure there's no real excuse...and besides I'm waiting on front end parts so I've got time to waste.
My dome light was not working. The assembly is in beautiful shape, mirror is clear and doesn't slop around and the dome light is even nice, so it would be a shame to junk it I thought.
I did the usual tests. I removed the dome light and tested it with a battery and some leads and it worked.
I removed the entire mirror (three screws, the front one is hidden behind a white rubber plug it has a wee hole in it) from the body to get to the two wires, they tested good. I had juice and a ground.
I then used an ohm meter to test the two small button looking pins that contact the pos and neg wires, they were also good.
I then attached the mirror assembly back to the body and removed the mirror from the base by grabbing it from outside the car and pulling it off.
(Airhead has an excellent video on this on a YouTube )
Anyway, I then tested the four pins on the mirror assembly. They stick out from a plastic fixture.
Ground tested good with the ohm meter, positive did not.
Problem found,now how to fix it.

Not knowing how, I stumbled trough it. The fixture is like a plug pressed into the mirror housing. It is held in place with a small pressed in pin located at the back of the mirror. The first challenge is to pull out the pin.
You can see the pin and access it when you remove the two springs held in with two screws.
Using some spring clip removers I got in there enough to slide the pin back far enough that I could use some small wire cutter to grasp it and pull it out.
I then had to use a small screw driver to pry it out of the assembly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once out I used a razor blade along the seam to carefully pry it apart. It consist of two halves so I pried gently along the seam. It is clipped together to I had to use a small screw driver to pry it apart.
Inside are four pins and two springs. The pos set was a bit corroded creating resistance.

I took it apart and soaked the metal bits in phosphoric acid to remove the corrosion then coated them in electrical grease.

I reinstalled the pieces noting that the longer pins go in the fat side of the housing.

I then clipped the assembly together and pressed it back in the housing gently tapping it into place. At first it was a bit tight so I used some sandpaper to remove any distortions until it went in easily.

Note that the holes in the springs are not centered, they go on only one way.

I then tested it to make sure it worked and tapped the retaining pin in.
Reinstalled the light and assembly and now have a working dome light.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Tahlequah Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

Thank you for this guide, very helpful today. Trolled over here from type1, verts use same one
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

I love ‘lectricity!
Fun to see a different version of a dome light.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!

Last edited by Trylon on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

Awesome. I hope this ends up in the stickies. I'm sure many will find it useful.

Mod Edit: Done. Smile

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1969vertbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

I was just looking at my non-working dome light when I finished replacing my rod bushing, and you've just inspired me to tackle it much sooner than I would have otherwise. Thanks!
innocenti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
So, I am a nut about having all my electrical work. There's not much so I figure there's no real excuse...and besides I'm waiting on front end parts so I've got time to waste.
My dome light was not working. The assembly is in beautiful shape, mirror is clear and doesn't slop around and the dome light is even nice, so it would be a shame to junk it I thought.
I did the usual tests. I removed the dome light and tested it with a battery and some leads and it worked.
I removed the entire mirror (three screws, the front one is hidden behind a white rubber plug it has a wee hole in it) from the body to get to the two wires, they tested good. I had juice and a ground.
I then used an ohm meter to test the two small button looking pins that contact the pos and neg wires, they were also good.
I then attached the mirror assembly back to the body and removed the mirror from the base by grabbing it from outside the car and pulling it off.
(Airhead has an excellent video on this on a YouTube )
Anyway, I then tested the four pins on the mirror assembly. They stick out from a plastic fixture.
Ground tested good with the ohm meter, positive did not.
Problem found,now how to fix it.

Not knowing how, I stumbled trough it. The fixture is like a plug pressed into the mirror housing. It is held in place with a small pressed in pin located at the back of the mirror. The first challenge is to pull out the pin.
You can see the pin and access it when you remove the two springs held in with two screws.
Using some spring clip removers I got in there enough to slide the pin back far enough that I could use some small wire cutter to grasp it and pull it out.
I then had to use a small screw driver to pry it out of the assembly.

Once out I used a razor blade along the seam to carefully pry it apart. It consist of two halves so I pried gently along the seam. It is clipped together to I had to use a small screw driver to pry it apart.
Inside are four pins and two springs. The pos set was a bit corroded creating resistance.

I took it apart and soaked the metal bits in phosphoric acid to remove the corrosion then coated them in electrical grease.

I reinstalled the pieces noting that the longer pins go in the fat side of the housing.

I then clipped the assembly together and pressed it back in the housing gently tapping it into place. At first it was a bit tight so I used some sandpaper to remove any distortions until it went in easily.

Note that the holes in the springs are not centered, they go on only one way.

I then tested it to make sure it worked and tapped the retaining pin in.
Reinstalled the light and assembly and now have a working dome light.

I have a similar issue with my 69 ,bought the replacement front bulb holder still not working although I have earth and current to it . I'll get onto this now thanks
Figment
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 convertible Ghia dome light and mirror repair tutorial Reply with quote

Just a quick note of thanks; The info in this post got my light working for the first time (presumably) in decades.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: