Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
If we really want to "save the planet" (whatever that means) we should hope for something like a global pandemic to come along and kill off about half of the world's human population.

yea, but it isn't working as good as they hoped it would

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
If we really want to "save the planet" (whatever that means) we should hope for something like a global pandemic to come along and kill off about half of the world's human population.

Who are you referring to as (they) ?
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Uh oh... we're gonna open a can of worms..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Uh oh... we're gonna open a can of worms..

Maybe not, try to remain civil and on topic. One thing is certain though, larger forces are at work here and it does not matter what I think or what you think. Electric vehicles are upon us and where it ends we don’t know.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Edison made his first EV in 1895. Edison and Ford teamed up in the early 1900s to produce an EV that could have up to a 100 mile range. Before it ever got to a production stage, Ford came out with his Model T which decreased in price every year of it's production. Edison actually believed that EVs eventually would be the norm and in his lifetime. Unfortunately, he died in 1931 and never realized his dream. What if................
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Rich Latsch wrote:
Edison made his first EV in 1895. Edison and Ford teamed up in the early 1900s to produce an EV that could have up to a 100 mile range. Before it ever got to a production stage, Ford came out with his Model T which decreased in price every year of it's production. Edison actually believed that EVs eventually would be the norm and in his lifetime. Unfortunately, he died in 1931 and never realized his dream. What if................

My Grandfather worked for Edison in the Early 1900’s.
Edison had sent him to England to introduce the talking motion Picture to Europe.
He was there until WWI broke out and Edison called him home.
The voyage during the war was apparently a tense frightening journey with ships being sunk regularly.
The captain of the ship actually waited until a storm blew up to leave England because the U-boats could not function in rough seas.

I have a photo of my Grandfather in the 1910’s sitting upon his electric Car.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Tesla outsold ford and gm last year 10 to 1 on ev sales. Biden wants to give help , money and tax credits to ford and gm, but acts like tesla, non union, doesnt exist. Thats pretty messed up and shows what is important to biden.

The porsche 918 spyder, gas and electric, can recharge the batteries with 2 ltres of gas. Nice, but who can afford a 1 million dollar car?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The planet can support 10x the population but not a population that insists on driving F350s to get their manginas waxed
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The planet can support 10x the population... you don't say?
Where can I find more information?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The planet can support 10x the population but not a population that insists on driving F350s to get their manginas waxed

What is it with people and their love handle vehicles anyway?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

This just in: California has approved the use of plug-in generators.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Cue the tinfoil-hat refugees from the locked 'California to ban' thread in 5,4,3,2,...

Rolling Eyes

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

HereToGo wrote:
Why is this an all-or-nothing choice? This is still a reasonably free country, right?

I'll be damned if some government muppet is going to tell me what I can or cannot drive or how far I can drive.

If you want an electric car, go buy one. If you want to keep your ICE, then keep your ICE. Freedom of choice.

Most pro-electric people live in warm climates and never had to deal with sub-freezing temps draining their battery. Maybe we can get access to some of that 1969 NASA battery/charger tech, the type that allowed the moon buggy to putter around the lunar surface at -250° to -454°. That three day trip from earth to the moon would have tested the mettle of any battery in those low temps.

The government already tells you what you can/can't drive, or where you can or can't go. ICE vehicles and fuels for them already have tons of regulations and last time I checked, the government built most all the roads and can open/close them at will. There's no right to operate a powered vehicle, it's a privilege that was granted by the government in the first place. Generally, I believe you have the nearly the absolute right to free movement in public right of ways only under your own power, such as walking or bicycling, or maybe under the power of another live being, like a horse.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Really when you think about it - gravity, the ability to balance upright and walk are what gave people the freedom to move about. Then some enterprising individuals invented the wheel (not the government) and later the motor vehicle (again not the government)! Individuals saw the need to smooth out the landscape in their domain to make travel easier (later taken over by the government) and neighbors got together to accomplish that.

Then the government saw an opportunity to exercise control and collect money (not necessarily in that order) so they convinced us that we did not have a right to move freely anymore, it's a government granted privilege. It's all for the collective good of all people - right - where have we heard that one before? Rolling Eyes

Ah yes! The old "You pay me da money, I no break-a yo' knee caps!" type of privilege.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

VW just raised 8B to convert to EV so the market has spoken
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
VW just raised 8B to convert to EV so the market has spoken

Not surprising. 60 minutes did a segment with the CEO of VW April of this year when he said:

"Diess wants Volkswagen to make electric versions of all its brands."
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Really when you think about it - gravity, the ability to balance upright and walk are what gave people the freedom to move about. Then some enterprising individuals invented the wheel (not the government) and later the motor vehicle (again not the government)! Individuals saw the need to smooth out the landscape in their domain to make travel easier (later taken over by the government) and neighbors got together to accomplish that.

Then the government saw an opportunity to exercise control and collect money (not necessarily in that order) so they convinced us that we did not have a right to move freely anymore, it's a government granted privilege. It's all for the collective good of all people - right - where have we heard that one before? Rolling Eyes

Ah yes! The old "You pay me da money, I no break-a yo' knee caps!" type of privilege.

You still have the freedom of movement in the USA, just not under motorized power. Almost immediately as automobiles became a thing, traffic regulations, licensing, etc.. became a thing out of necessity, especially as they became more numerous. Regulations of some sort have probably been there 99.99% of the time of cars existence and it's still something close to anarchy on the roads in many places/times. Actually, it's rather unfair in the opposite direction from what you are saying- there's unfreedom for everyone NOT in a powerful motorized vehicle (in the sense it can move faster than a person could on their own) like in the case of controlled access highways with minimum speed limits. That stands against the freedom of movement through public space! In some places, where there is no alternative, I guess there is permission to bicycle (or it can be obtained) on those types of highways, but not on a lot of them. Not sure if that applies to walking as well. You're so wrapped up in what you're used to, you can't think straight! There should at least be the space in all public right of ways that you can move about freely under your own power in a reasonable manner, and not be casually killed, harassed, assaulted, intimidated en masse. The government should be DEFENDING your freedom to do that, not enforcing the power of the already more powerful and taking away one's freedom to do that! There should be a decent space to walk or bicycle, unicycle, run to anywhere. My god, it's extremely easy to understand. Everything else is the extra thing that is not necessarily guaranteed by rights- cars, trains, buses, airplanes, etc...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, who were close friends, were on opposite sides of this debate. Ford, early in his career, was an engineer under Edison and was working on a gasoline powered car. Edison pursued the idea of an electric car in 1899. It took him 10 years to perfect an alkaline battery and he then built 3 electric cars in 1912. By this time Ford was mass producing the model T. Edison continued working on his electric vehicle until his death in 1931. It is one of over 1000 patents that he had. I wonder how far he would have gotten had he lived a few more years.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, who were close friends, were on opposite sides of this debate. Ford, early in his career, was an engineer under Edison and was working on a gasoline powered car. Edison pursued the idea of an electric car in 1899. It took him 10 years to perfect an alkaline battery and he then built 3 electric cars in 1912. By this time Ford was mass producing the model T. Edison continued working on his electric vehicle until his death in 1931. It is one of over 1000 patents that he had. I wonder how far he would have gotten had he lived a few more years.

None of Edison’s patents were
“His”

He lived off the intellect of others.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:

None of Edison’s patents were
“His”

He lived off the intellect of others.

I've heard your type of comment before. Yes, Edison did not personally invent everything he had a patent for, but he supervised those who ultimately proved his theories correct. Don't discredit possibly the greatest creative mind ever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 235

Jump to: