Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Random clunking noise *SOLVED*
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Random clunking noise *SOLVED* Reply with quote

Hi all, 90 vanagon here, I recently noticed a random clunking noise coming from the drivers side rear or front wheel (I think). It doesn't correspond with the speed of the car, using the acceletor, clutch, brake don't seem to affect it at all. The noise itself sounds very much like a cowbell, it is irregular and random. I notice it as I am backing out of my driveway mostly but that is because there is a large wall next to the van to reflect the sound but I hear it other times while driving slowly too. Not so much while traveling at speed but it could be masked by driving noise.

I was going to jack up the van the weekend and spin the wheels see what else might being going on. But wanted to ask what I should be checking out that might be causing this. Thanks!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

I think you need less cowbell.
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

2wd, I assume. How do you reproduce the sound? Only in reverse at any speed? Going over a bump? Bouncing up and down?

Could be a bearing, brakes, etc.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I think you need less cowbell.

I'm going to need a part number for the less cowbell. I'd be interested!!

On the other hand;

1; while backing might put enough pressure on your front radius rod bushings to clunk like that. If that is it, your radius rod is sawing its way into the frame. Quite a fun project to repair that one Wink

2: going over a bump? could result in the noise coming from the rear trailing arm 'top hat' plate that the spring is supposed to be held in place by, but as many have found over the years it is gone, and the spring clangs around a bit.

So, yes, look under there, front and rear, and if you do find a Less Cowbell, let use know about it. It might be more rare than blinker fluid.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Also check your rear top shock mounts. When the upper bolt gets loose, it makes a clunky, difficult-to-locate sound. Just something to add to your list of things to check.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

zimflux wrote:
2wd, I assume. How do you reproduce the sound? Only in reverse at any speed? Going over a bump? Bouncing up and down?

Could be a bearing, brakes, etc.

It is most evident as I am going in my driveway but that is because there is a large wall next to me to reflect the sound. It happens both in reverse and forward. I have backed up 15ft then gone forward 15ft back and forth a bunch of times. When it is making the sound and it doesn't seem to correspond to any bumps in the driveway or anything repeatable.

Maybe I shouldn't have run over Christopher Walken...
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

re: cow bell. Don't worry. They'll fix it in the mix. Wink

Radius rod metal on metal was my first thought so x2 on that. But, the sound of my radius rod hitting the sub frame wasn't a cow bell tone. More like a dull clunk (aka sound of a lead filled viola hitting bottom of dumpster) Twisted Evil

But seriously folks....

Try parallel parking while listening for the noise. This is how I was able to recreate the dull clunk, which was indeed a really worn radius rod. (and hole in frame).

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

It could be 1000 different things. But one thing I’ve experienced that I’d compare to the cowbell sound is something bouncing around inside the brake drum. For me, it ended up being a clip for the e-brake cable. It would clang around a few times, and then spend some time sitting on top of the wheel cylinder. Eventually, it would bounce back down, and rattle around in the drum for a while longer. It was very intermittent, and hard to figure out until I pulled the drum off. But it was clear as day once I got in there.
Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

I get it too. I thought it would go away when I had my trans rebuilt. Nope, still have it. Sounds like it's in the rear. I'll check the rear upper shock mounts, but I doubt it.

I've had everything on my van apart multiple times. No idea what it is. Very irregular.
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/oh2olqcsKss

Here is a short video pulling into my driveway with the sound. I am traveling about about 30ft very slowly mostly just the idle carrying me or the momentum after engaging the clutch then letting it go.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Rock in your hub cap?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Lug nut in your hub cap? Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

So I found the source of the cowbell noise. The wheel bearing dust cap had fallen off and was rattling around inside the hubcap. I was fearing it was something much worse.

Behold the cowbell!

Link
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Good find but it was the drivers side?

What about your speedometer operation?

My grease cap was loose, made all sorts of odd noises and the speedometer jumped around erratically.

It never fell off because of the E clip on the cable end.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

Speedometer stopped working a couple months ago. It was erratic and underreporting speed. When it finally stopped I knew I would need to replace the cable. Didn't realize it was connected to the dust cover till I pulled the dust cap off and the end of the cable was still attached to it. (you can see it in end of the video I posted). Ordered a new cable.

djkeev wrote:

My grease cap was loose, made all sorts of odd noises and the speedometer jumped around erratically.

Dave
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

aamartin wrote:
Speedometer stopped working a couple months ago. It was erratic and underreporting speed. When it finally stopped I knew I would need to replace the cable. Didn't realize it was connected to the dust cover till I pulled the dust cap off and the end of the cable was still attached to it. (you can see it in end of the video I posted). Ordered a new cable.

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Sorry, I'm not much of a video watcher..........

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
aamartin wrote:

djkeev wrote:

Dave

Sorry, I'm not much of a video watcher..........

Dave, it is a 6 second video..... Razz

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise *SOLVED* Reply with quote

Words are great, photos helpful ........ videos? I Rarely watch them.
I guess I've just clicked on too many poorly done videos that suck up minutes when the same info can be conveyed in mere milliseconds with a photo.

Anyway, watched it. Knowing I'm looking for a broken cable I can see it as it flashes by.
Had I not known, I would never have noticed it.
A photo would have shown it clearly.

The cable kept my cap at the hub, it didn't break, it just spun and slipped making an odd rattle sound.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
aamartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Random clunking noise *SOLVED* Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Words are great, photos helpful ........ videos? I Rarely watch them.
I guess I've just clicked on too many poorly done videos that suck up minutes when the same info can be conveyed in mere milliseconds with a photo.

Anyway, watched it. Knowing I'm looking for a broken cable I can see it as it flashes by.
Had I not known, I would never have noticed it.
A photo would have shown it clearly.

The cable kept my cap at the hub, it didn't break, it just spun and slipped making an odd rattle sound.

Dave

No worries Dave! I did take photos but since the nature of the post was mostly sound related (more cowbell) I figured a video was better at illustrating the sound. Anyway it was a big learning experience. I had no idea the speedometer cable routed through the hub and connected to the dust cap. And in retrospect it seems obvious why my speed was reporting off (slipping dust cap/bad cable) and why my noise started soon after the speedometer stopped working. I would have never put those two problems together.

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: