Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tried cleaning up and polishing an old chrome alt stand. It's junk, but I kinda like the aged chrome look, so gave it a shot. It's the one that came on the worn out 2234 on my baja when I bought it.

Chrome is so thin it's transparent in spots, can totally see the copper underneath. Obviously a garbage part. However...

I still kinda like the look. So I put it on the shelf for me to think about for a while.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Speedometer cable was jumping around, so I replaced it today with a good German one. No more erratic speedo needle.

However, now my radio won’t work, I must have knocked a wire loose.

Tim

You'll find the issue with radio. Modern stereos have a switched red wire and an always-hot yellow wire. My guess is a fuse or a wire knocked loose.

Good on the speedometer needle fix though !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
1969vertbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I replaced my shift rod bushing. It was destroyed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I got he rod out, I wanted to clean out any rust and spray some rust converter if necessary, but I noticed no light was coming through, so I took a pic down the tunnel.

Took a very Canadian solution, and used my son's aluminum hockey stick to extend my vacuum.

Pulled out what must have been some rodent's nest two owners ago (the PO i bought it off had it garage stored, and by the shape of the bushing it's been decades since anyone looked down the tunnel)

Now to clean and paint all the bits and parts, grease the shaft, use the ring trick to keep the bushing loose, and put it all back together again!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

It’s going to get mighty cold in that car, without the extra insulation.😉
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1969vertbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

There was so much insulation in there I actually looked up if I missed something and it should in fact be there. But as soon I got past it there was enough mouse poop and peanut shells to assuage all doubt.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Yesterday, somehow the driver door window "popped out" of alignment again on my 1971 Convertible. So again I pulled the door panel, popped the window into place so it worked....

UPDATE: I believe the window "popping out" was caused by me "forcing" the window crank handle when the VW/garage was cold. It seems like the grease I had used in the past was getting thick, as when the crank was hard to turn one morning, I simply "did nothing" and waited for the temperature to warm up to 70F, and all was OK.

Since the door panel was still off, I removed all the old grease (wheel bearing grease) using wipes and Q-Tip swabs, then used CRC aerosol lithium grease on the glides and gears, this is a much "thinner" lubricant. So I've checked this two cold mornings in a row, and think this is "the fix".

This CRC aerosol lithium grease lubricant is what the maker of this video uses, at 4:40 mark

Link

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mkgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mkgearhead wrote:
I'm still trying to get my '75 La Grande Super running on its own. I've got it narrowed down to the injectors not firing. I've checked the wiring and the grounds and it "should" be working. I've had this car for 13 years and I finally have a little time to work on it. I want to enter it in the annual car show here. I've got until September and at this rate it'll take me until then to get it to fire. Rolling Eyes Here's a few pics of it when I got it in '09. It still looks the same now. It looks rough but there's no rust underneath.

I got her running! It ended up being a bad ECU. I picked one up from a member here for a great price.
1969vertbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mkgearhead wrote:

I got her running! It ended up being a bad ECU. I picked one up from a member here for a great price.

Congrats! Those moments are often what make it worth it.
mkgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

1969vertbug wrote:
mkgearhead wrote:

Congrats! Those moments are often what make it worth it.

Thanks! I got the doghouse and alternator put on today. Finally coming back to life after a 20 year hibernation.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mkgearhead wrote:
Finally coming back to life after a 20 year hibernation.

My 1970 hibernated for 23 years on the side of my house after me driving it 21 years, before I resurrected it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Love the Plate

Cusser wrote:
mkgearhead wrote:
Finally coming back to life after a 20 year hibernation.

My 1970 hibernated for 23 years on the side of my house after me driving it 21 years, before I resurrected it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:
Love the Plate

From first day that personalized license plate were allowed in Arizona.

Later on, state updated it

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I bought these stone guards here on the samba. Got them installed over my Hella headlights today.

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

^ ^ ^ Cool
For some reason I really like your ride JimBug.
Looking forward to the "mirror project".
They will perfectly blend into the MIL look for sure!
Lie2me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Very Cool, Jim. I've grown very fond of the Type 87...I wasn't aware of the 'war bugs'; assumed kubelwagens were the only bugs used by the military.

As far as what I did today, rewired the headlights & cleaned up my headlight assemblies.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ran out of gas for the umpteenth time this morning. Stupid unreliable fuel sender.

Since it's an early 68 tank with the stupid oval filler neck, I just decided to buy all of it. New tank, sender tap and sock, etc.

Debating on going AN fittings. Anybody done that and still used the tunnel fuel line?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I bought these stone guards here on the samba. Got them installed over my Hella headlights today.

After several broken headlight housings I bought some for mine last year, everyone comments on them- really practical addition-

I just need to find some smaller ones for my driving lights next. Maybe from a motorcycle place Think

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

I just need to find some smaller ones for my driving lights next. Maybe from a motorcycle place Think

Didn't you have some "Eagle eye" driving lights on there before?? What do you have now?

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually gave the Eagle eyes to a buddy who now runs them on a 64 sunroof original-paint patina car. Now I run a pair of Hella 500FF. I'm going to make some sort of bar to mount two more soon rally style. The Hellas are a much more useful floodlamp for nighttime driving.
https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-005750941-500FF-Driving-Lamp/dp/B001TWD5GY?th=1

This is the eventual goal- like Dave Hord did on his Super Salzburg style rally car-

The Salzburg cars are one of the biggest reasons I'm into supers Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The Hella's look nice. I have a set on my Jeep but the modern squarish-type. Nothing but round will do on a bug. They really do help with nighttime driving especially on secondary roads with no street lamps.

What did you use for the hot/power & ground? Assume you didn't run all the way back to the battery?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 423 of 449

Jump to: