Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

first... remember proper ppe! Shocked Laughing my feet were coated in clay + sweat. putting on socks didnt sound appealing to me.

Ever heard of washing your feet with a garden hose? Razz I wouldn't trust thin flammable material to stop a welding spark. I only wear gardening gloves when welding, though I have a high pain tolerance (ex. split my knee on a concrete step, got up, walked across campus, and didn't know a problem until a teacher asked about my jeans being soaked in blood to the ankle).

Chickensoup wrote:
I got shitted on today by my mig. may be the outlet but the "bacon" sound was REAL bacony today Laughing my dad came yelling because all the lights in the house were flickering.

Oh my. At least Pops didn't do worse.

How come the welder has done fine before and now causing all these problems? What has changed?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Im not sure. I noticed my ground had slid down some so that may have been it. It seemed like a ground issue. My feed speed was fine. IDK ill have to experiment
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

What else is on the circuit your welder is plugged into? I remember my first mig was 110V and no matter what i did i could never weld worth a darn. Turned out the welder could never draw enough amps to give it a chance.

Nope you figure it out.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
What else is on the circuit your welder is plugged into? I remember my first mig was 110V and no matter what i did i could never weld worth a darn. Turned out the welder could never draw enough amps to give it a chance.

Nope you figure it out.

Ill have to check the circuit box but i dont believe there was anything else. I know the compressor was running but thats 220

Also for anyone who is curious, Ive decided on FSU for college. Im coming home Very Happy
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
matthew henricks wrote:

Nope you figure it out.

Ill have to check the circuit box but i dont believe there was anything else. I know the compressor was running but thats 220

It isn't just the circuit, can be the whole. For example, some older homes, like the one I grew up in, was a 50amp service. So even the refrigerator would cause the lights to dim or flicker. Hope this helps.

Chickensoup wrote:
Also for anyone who is curious, Ive decided on FSU for college. Im coming home Very Happy

I thought Georgia is home? I don't remember this in your list, why Florida State?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

I grew up in Florida. Ill always be a Florida boy. I'll try running the welder without the compressor and see how it goes. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
I grew up in Florida. Ill always be a Florida boy.

Where in Florida?

By the way, been on my lists of states to visit.

Chickensoup wrote:
I'll try running the welder without the compressor and see how it goes. Thanks

Hopefully that helps, look forward to an update.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Where in Florida?

Chickensoup wrote:

Myakka city. Very rural. Outside of Sarasota/lakewood ranch area. So central east Florida.

The college is up in Tallahassee, so north Florida.

Florida is a fantastic place if you can deal with the insane heat, uv rays, humidity, bugs, and snow birds.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:

Where in Florida?

Chickensoup wrote:

Myakka city. Very rural. Outside of Sarasota/lakewood ranch area. So central east Florida.

The college is up in Tallahassee, so north Florida.

Florida is a fantastic place if you can deal with the insane heat, uv rays, humidity, bugs, and snow birds.

Seems most folks think of Florida as all beach, however, the center of the state is rural including ranching, and the panhandle is like the rest of the south, or my understanding.

I have no interest staying long, more to cross it off states I have not been to (IIRC been to 26). Bio "mother" allowed me to go on one road tip and going through the Deep South, skipped Florida. I am not into beaches or rollercoasters, so that leaves the Everglades.

Here in Arizona we have snowbirds, lots of fun when are clueless how to drive a motorhome and forget they are towing a vehicle behind. Rolling Eyes Then in Monsoon season, we have warm weather with humidity, leading to insects. But, unlike Florida, we don't have all of those at the same time. Razz

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Yeah in Florida you can hear the mosquitos rolling down the road Laughing

The ocean side areas are tourist cities. Can then you have Orlando and stuff.

Your correct, much of Florida is still very rural. And I mean rural. But boy o boy they be building fast!

I've never been to the everglades. Sounds like fun tho. I would recommend you do a river float at a place like crystal river. Go fishing. Pet some gators. Watch out for water mockisons and diamond backs. Deep sea fishing is absolutely amazing if your into that.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Yeah in Florida you can hear the mosquitos rolling down the road Laughing

Laughing

Chickensoup wrote:
The ocean side areas are tourist cities. Can then you have Orlando and stuff.

Yah, the only reason I deal with being in a city be for something special, particularly architecture.

Chickensoup wrote:
Your correct, much of Florida is still very rural. And I mean rural. But boy o boy they be building fast!

That is happening all over. Thing is the more they build, the hotter it be due to the urban heat island affect.

Chickensoup wrote:
I've never been to the everglades. Sounds like fun tho. I would recommend you do a river float at a place like crystal river. Go fishing. Pet some gators. Watch out for water mockisons and diamond backs. Deep sea fishing is absolutely amazing if your into that.

I don't know if fun or not, I have not been. Razz I bet one could spend a couple weeks in every state of the union, so then one has to be picky and narrow it way down and if I am to see all 50, got to be even more narrow, especially as I am already 35. My understanding is the Everglades are really special and be good for top of the list. I will add the the Crystal River to the list.

As for snakes, especially as be traveling with a Service Dog.

As for fishing, I don't have any interest. Do you?

Though, had not crossed my mind to go under the water. I did scuba diving training in Tahiti, wonder where the file with my papers ended up. I bet even snorkeling be lots of fun.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

The compressor running on 240 is pulling 120 volts from each leg of your service, it's not completely isolated simply because it's on a different breaker. So it can definitely cause a strain on the system since everything is pulling from the same panel.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
The compressor running on 240 is pulling 120 volts from each leg of your service, it's not completely isolated simply because it's on a different breaker. So it can definitely cause a strain on the system since everything is pulling from the same panel.

Yeah that would make sense. Different breakers but same box. Thanks

Today, I started talking the passenger heater channel. Started making the inner patch pieces. Im using ticker gauge steel than stock which is nice, but harder to form. I need to make a tighter angle on them. I sanded down the rust and sprayed ospho as well.

Question, what is the best primer I can use to go over the ospho?

OH, it was extremely windy today and my beetle ummm. Fell. Drivers door is a but messed up now Embarassed

While I'm at it, I'm gonna finish up the rear body work, epoxy, and raptor line the underside.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Shocked Glad no one got hurt and no worse damage. I can kind of understand the pain, had a jack stand slip way off and mangled the original running board trim.

Have you used Master Series Silver? Designed for marine environments so should be more than sufficient for vehicles. The only thing is once you open the can, it will start hardening, can't be saved for more than a couple of days.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:
Shocked Glad no one got hurt and no worse damage. I can kind of understand the pain, had a jack stand slip way off and mangled the original running board trim.

Have you used Master Series Silver? Designed for marine environments so should be more than sufficient for vehicles. The only thing is once you open the can, it will start hardening, can't be saved for more than a couple of days.

TBH, I rarely feel disappointment anymore. If something happens to an object, I just dont feel it.

Yeah, your absolutely right. I used Master series silver and top coat on the chassis. That stuff starts curing FAST!

I think im gonna prep the rust for ospho, epoxy primer it, and then raptor line it.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Yum. OG pearl white.

Bye bye foo! Twisted Evil

After lots if brushing and sanding. Make sure to get the crevices real good with compressed air.

Degreese

Dry

Ospho

Clean with water

And shit Evil or Very Mad dang rag left fibers in the primer. Hopefully they will come out when I wet sand it.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

TBH, I rarely feel disappointment anymore. If something happens to an object, I just dont feel it.

TBH?

Chickensoup wrote:
Yeah, your absolutely right. I used Master series silver and top coat on the chassis. That stuff starts curing FAST!

I found putting a plastic shopping over the can, pushing into the paint so no air, lid back on, then in the refrigerator slowed it way down, but cured even faster once out of the refrigerator. However, you don't have the luxury of living like a bachelor. Razz

Chickensoup wrote:
I think im gonna prep the rust for ospho, epoxy primer it, and then raptor line it.

Okay.

----

Good seeing progress! Applause Popcorn

To clarify, did Ospho create clean, shiny metal?

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Almost forgot.

TBH= To Be Honest

Thanks for the tip on storing the silver.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

well it looks like the reality i feared is comming into play. depending on the events of the next few days, i will have to sell or give away the car along with my inventory of new parts.

I doubt i will be able to stash it at Johns place, as my parents will surely report it as stolen. but if i sell MY car...

How much should i be asking? engine is torn down to a short block ATM and will need some honing and rings. I also have paint. custom mix glasuirt.

Also, if anyone is a professional car thief or knows of one, please PM me and temporarily take it away. serious
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Menace" '65 Tourist Delivery Build Reply with quote

Maybe sell it to John for $100 and have him sign the title over? Or some other nominal fee but just to make sure it gets titled in his name.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 41

Jump to: