Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad Camberg 1983
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Member Paul Watson sent me his photos from the trip to post, I thought the general Forum public would like to be aware of it.

Gallery Link:
Bad Camberg 1983

Random sampling of some photos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

those are great!

i can contribute a little. ive been working my way through some Volkswagen Split Window Club of America newsletters and am around that point in time.

here is an ad for the show from the may 1983 through the split window

here are some photos of the event from the april 1984 edition of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of Canada newsletter

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

KLF 726 is still with the same owner who is also a regular visitor to the Bad Camberg and Hessish Oldendorf VW events.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Sorry to contradict you, but Roger no longer has it. I was talking to him at the last Bad Camberg meeting about it, and he finally let it go. He did previously sell it, and buy it back again at some stage, but that's another story.

The funny thing is, he bought that car when he was a young soldier in the British Army in Germany, in the mid to late 70's I think, from a local German man, who lived not too far from his Roger's base. Then, who per chance should Roger meet at the last Bad Camberg meet? The man who had sold his Beetle to that 'young British soldier', all of those years ago!

I'm amazed that either of them remembered each other after all of these years, and Roger was still disbelieving, and shaking his head/smiling, when relating the story to us over the evening meal that night. Goes to show that the appreciation of old VW's in people rarely diminishes over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Sorry to contradict you, but Roger no longer has it. I was talking to him at the last Bad Camberg meeting about it, and he finally let it go. He did previously sell it, and buy it back again at some stage, but that's another story.

The funny thing is, he bought that car when he was a young soldier in the British Army in Germany, in the mid to late 70's I think, from a local German man, who lived not too far from his Roger's base. Then, who per chance should Roger meet at the last Bad Camberg meet? The man who had sold his Beetle to that 'young British soldier', all of those years ago!

I'm amazed that either of them remembered each other after all of these years, and Roger was still disbelieving, and shaking his head/smiling, when relating the story to us over the evening meal that night. Goes to show that the appreciation of old VW's in people rarely diminishes over the years.

Thanks Martin, I bow to your more recent knowledge.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andykafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Im very sad roger let KLF go .i remember many happy times riding around sevenoaks in that . Hope its gone to a good home who love kafers
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Everett- and Paul Watson! I also attended that event, driving down from Wolfsburg while in my final months at VW's R&D center. Looking at other photos from Paul in his gallery- hey- there I am! Right in the center with the brown camera bag! Goodness- was I really that slim?!

That was my first meet ever for vintage VWs, and it made an incredible first impression. I took several rolls of 35 mm slides and put them into a Kodak carrousel after I returned to New York only a few months later. DANG IT if I can't find them now. They were good quality shots, sharp like Paul's, taken with my Canon Canonet rangefinder. I'll keep looking... and then of course scan them and post here in this thread.

Paul- did you come over from the States for the meet, or from England; or were you working in Germany like I was at the time? We could've been standing right next to each other at the meet! Though if I heard an American accent there, I probably would've started up a conversation.
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

Great to see my car there when I was only 9 years old.. 😊

It looks like there is another Reseda green Karmann there as well!

Thanks for posting these pictures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Camberg 1983 Reply with quote

🤩 those pics are so sick!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: