Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luftgekült
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

Hi
What is the course if action in this case?
I mean, what is right the order if I want to replace inner an outer a pilar, wheel well and hinge plate and also paint inside and fit the heater paper tube inside the a pillar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

If it were me doing it, I would…..

Get some angle iron tack welded to the interior side. 1 across the lower opening from A to B. Then one from the upper hinge point to the lowest possible point at the B pillar.

I would then get an A pillar lower body assembly and fit it into the body. Hang the door and reposition everything until the door gaps were correct. When the gaps are correct, tack weld in the lower hinge/post assembly. Then be sure the door works.

If it does, tack weld in as much steel as you can at the front side on the A pillar to heater channel. Check door figment. Remove the angle iron and check door fit. Adjust as needed. Then start welding in the A pillar repair. Check the door fit often, as this area is easily changed during work.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Luftgekült
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

Hi Jimbo
Thanks for your help.
What about the paper tube? Looks dificult to guide once everything is welded, but inserting it before welding makes painting the inside of the pilar almost imposible.
This section of my car was previously repaired at some point but since it wasn't painted or protected it rusted again. I don't want that happens again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

You're on the right road with the last post.
Some possibilities.
I think there is tunnel/channel sealer from Eastwood. It has a long hose and you pull it (up) and the stuff sprays 360 to seal the internal area, after you're done welding.
No one said you had to use paper again.
I was thinking of cutting and fabricating a small panel on the interior (hidden under the carpet) where you could access the connection between the paper tube and metal fitting. All sorts of stuff could fall down there, and you could check the tube/fitting connection. Just a thought. And check for rust.... later on.
I am going to try to find plastic tubing...just WAY more durable than that paper.
On your last weld you could shield the tubing with fiberglass on that side, and maybe have a string tied to the fiberglass if you wanted to pull up/out when the welds were done. Just a thought. Keep welding... good work too!
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

- The sealer is referred to as cavity wax. It is available from others besides Eastwood. I think I bought mine from KBS.
- I did not use paper tubing for defrost ducting, I used flexible stainless steel.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

Luftgekült wrote:
Hi Jimbo
Thanks for your help.
What about the paper tube? Looks dificult to guide once everything is welded, but inserting it before welding makes painting the inside of the pilar almost imposible.
This section of my car was previously repaired at some point but since it wasn't painted or protected it rusted again. I don't want that happens again.

I understand that! Having to do stuff twice - SUCKS! Read my tag line!

Paper or tin or plastic. All easy to install after everything is painted. I slide a section of Romex cable, 12 gauge (because I have a lot of it) down into the “black hole” (you can watch what you are doing with a small inspection mirror and a magnetic light) and get it into the heater port. Then slide the tube over the wire. The wire guides the tube. Mating it to the channel is a breeze from there! Just do not remove the Romex until you are sure the tube is in place.

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: A pilar and heater channel replacement procedure Reply with quote

Ive used flexible muffler tubing for the heater channel to window vent connection. A couple of tack welds at the bottom and you will never have to worry about it rotting out or mice chewing a hole in it. Try to get a piece the same diameter as the outlet tube on the channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: