Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

Order up a new set of Glenn's reproduction SO-42 interior curtains and that Bus will be a wet-dream!

Bill

Those would look great! Only thing better would be the multi color striped curtains that no one makes (unfortunately!)

edgood1 wrote:

The bus should be drivable soon. It's weird owning a bus that just needs some basic catch-up maintenance to get drivable.

Did you get the brackets i sent?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Early SO42's had the Fabrik-Nr. tag on the closet.

Fabrik-Nr. 14 is the earliest known SO42 (owned by velvetgreen).
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Interesting bus to look at ....

Anyone remember this conversation?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

crofty wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
crofty wrote:
StockNazi wrote:

To add to the confusion there were both silver and black latch push buttons used as well.

Isnt that a a 65 only thing?

Yep... very early SO42's had the metal push button.

My 4/65 has one. LOL

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've finally had some time to spend working on this bus. It's history continues to intrigue me, especially since digging into its mechanicals. The engine in the bus is a '71 1600 dp motor that is very clean and original. The bus was last registered in 1981 and from what the previous owner told me, it sat in a warehouse since 1981. I'm convinced that's accurate. Everything on the bus is frozen from sitting 41 years. It also came with a 40hp dated March '62. I was told this was the original engine but it's clearly not as the date code is wrong and it should came with a 1500cc. The transaxle is super clean and looks to have been swapped at the same time as the engine. Most of the bus was converted to 12v presumably at the same time.

It still had the altitude corrector thingy on the carb.

The carb valves were completely frozen. I threw on a cheap aftermarket one I had until I can rebuild the original.

The gas tank is full of rust and old sludge. I used a borescope to get pictures of the inside and its nasty. I ordered a new tank. I'll try to salvage the original.
There were 6 unopened napa fuel filters in the parcel tray so I suspect that this was a problem while the bus while still in service.

I was worried the bus was parked because the engine had problems as someone had previously pulled all the wires and I found a set of old wires and plugs in the cab. One of the plugs was missing from the engine too which was an ominous sign. I replaced all the ignition parts, the carb, the fuel pump and hooked it up to an external gas tank, put some gas in the carb and...

Link

I wanted to get the engine running to make sure it was usable. I'm going to pull it, take all the tin covers off and clean them. I found some evidence of a rodent nest in there. I'll deal with the gas tank, fix the broken shift coupler, replace the gas pedal linkage as whatever grease was in the old one has dried out and it doesn't move very good. Then the brakes will need some attention.
Hopefully I can get it driving soon and enjoy it while cleaning the rest of it up.

Also, I think this bus did have the so42 tent rails and someone removed it. The holes are still there:

There are also a bunch of holes in the roof for some reason:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Bump- Any updates on this bus?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

At the risk of crashing your party I thought I would ask my question here rather than starting another thread

We already know that early SO42's (by which I mean Westfalia Fabrik numbers pre number 665)

have a bunch of small differences from their younger siblings such as clamshell lights and sloped rear facing seat, and metal push buttons on the cabinet handles. Am wondering if this is another one of their quirks.

Normally there is a metal/aluminum bracket screwed over this hole prevent the laminate from cracking when the inner rear hatch "lock" is actuated into it. Seeing no evidence of that bracket ever being screwed in here I can only assume it was never there. Wondering if anyone else with early SO42 can confirm or refute this

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Compared to this:

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

^^ Exactly. My bus is a walk thru so the rear hatch lock is on the passenger side. BulliBill's 67' SO42 (from which the above pic was posted) appears to be non walk thru so there is an extra cabinet in rear drivers side that I don't have, but the end result is the same, his 67' SO42 has the metal bracket my 65' SO42 does not.
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

Interesting that your plate that holds the closet latch to the rear hatch seal lip is not screwed into the corner molding like the later models.

For reference, this is a pic from a late '67 SO42.

Is this a super early feature like the missing striker plate for the lock?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

I learn more about early SO42's all the time.The closet bracket is apparently another one of them! Also not sure if it was cost saving measure but apparently factory saved some $ not painting the brackets when production ramped up??
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:

I've finally had some time to spend working on this bus. It's history continues to intrigue me, especially since digging into its mechanicals. The engine in the bus is a '71 1600 dp motor that is very clean and original. The bus was last registered in 1981 and from what the previous owner told me, it sat in a warehouse since 1981. I'm convinced that's accurate. Everything on the bus is frozen from sitting 41 years. It also came with a 40hp dated March '62. I was told this was the original engine but it's clearly not as the date code is wrong and it should came with a 1500cc. The transaxle is super clean and looks to have been swapped at the same time as the engine. Most of the bus was converted to 12v presumably at the same time.

It still had the altitude corrector thingy on the carb.

The carb valves were completely frozen. I threw on a cheap aftermarket one I had until I can rebuild the original.

The gas tank is full of rust and old sludge. I used a borescope to get pictures of the inside and its nasty. I ordered a new tank. I'll try to salvage the original.
There were 6 unopened napa fuel filters in the parcel tray so I suspect that this was a problem while the bus while still in service.

I was worried the bus was parked because the engine had problems as someone had previously pulled all the wires and I found a set of old wires and plugs in the cab. One of the plugs was missing from the engine too which was an ominous sign. I replaced all the ignition parts, the carb, the fuel pump and hooked it up to an external gas tank, put some gas in the carb and...

Link

I wanted to get the engine running to make sure it was usable. I'm going to pull it, take all the tin covers off and clean them. I found some evidence of a rodent nest in there. I'll deal with the gas tank, fix the broken shift coupler, replace the gas pedal linkage as whatever grease was in the old one has dried out and it doesn't move very good. Then the brakes will need some attention.
Hopefully I can get it driving soon and enjoy it while cleaning the rest of it up.

Also, I think this bus did have the so42 tent rails and someone removed it. The holes are still there:

There are also a bunch of holes in the roof for some reason:

Congrats on the new garage! A very nice place to store and work on your SO-42. Cool to see your start-up video too. Sounds fairly smooth running! Yes, drop your engine, remove all the tin, (de-grease/clean it all up while apart, remove any debris obstructing cooling airflow, and reassemble. Use all new ethanol-resistant fuel hose (Belmetric.com has nice cloth-covered fuel line sold by the foot - buy about 6 feet) and a new fuel filter (not installed in the engine compartment, but located in-line above the transaxle). If you haven't already, do an oil change and perhaps perform a cylinder compression test to see about the overall condition of your engines pistons/cylinders/rings. That ought to help that later model engine purr like a contented kitten. Great work, nice old Campmobile!

Bill Bowman

www.bnnta.com
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Nr 0021 Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^ Exactly. My bus is a walk thru so the rear hatch lock is on the passenger side. BulliBill's 67' SO42 (from which the above pic was posted) appears to be non walk thru so there is an extra cabinet in rear drivers side that I don't have, but the end result is the same, his 67' SO42 has the metal bracket my 65' SO42 does not.

So to briefly hijack this thread, I have these pieces for sale: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2580667

Are these from an early or late SO42? Walk-thru or bench?

I'll update my ad when I hear.

BTW, I hope this bus can possibly get down to BNNTA this year (Bill Bowman?). Would be fantastic to see it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: