Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first set of dual carbs
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: My first set of dual carbs Reply with quote

In late 94 I was a Senior in high school finishing up a two year build of my 65 cal inspired beetle. I had a DP 1600 with a mild cam and a little head work that I had previously built for a rail buggy. I tried a progressive weber on it when I moved it to the beetle. I wasn’t having much luck with the progressive and I was ready to get the car on the road. I spotted an advertisement in hot VWs for new Kadron kits for $200.
I went ahead and ordered them COD and the day they arrived I was really excited to unpack my first ever dual carburetor kit. This kit had steel manifolds and all the hoses were cheap clear vinyl type tubing. I knew better than to use the fuel line, but figured the breather hose and balance tube would be fine. I got it together and tuned and it ran great. About six months down the road I started getting a rough idle and this strange chirping sound at idle. I went crazy trying to figure it out. Had my Dad help me too and dug into all sorts of stuff pulling rocker assemblies, checking pushrods & tubes etc. I finally discovered that the cheap vinyl balance tube was collapsing when hot causing the chirp and rough idle. I replaced it with a reinforced fuel rated hose and never had any other issues other than a slightly mis aligned linkage end popping off causing me to loose a stop light race against a friends 302 powered F150.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: