Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 TDI in 2007 GTI
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
81VrRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

My TDI beetle is falling apart , I bought a 2.0T 2007 GTI i planned on fixing up finding out the heads trashed.

Info : done many swaps before just wanted to know the basis of the motor mounts, Axles etc. Having both cars side by side looks super possible.

Any extra info would be great i know i will have to either have the computer flashed or move over my ignition for the key-chip.

Thanks
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

It will physically all bolt up. Mk4 and Mk5 use all the same mounts.

That said, you will need to use both ECUs and truck the GTI ecu into thinking it still has the 2.0 engine. The MK5 is CANBUS and the TDI is not.

I had a tiguan that had been ALH tdi swapped, it took a whole lot of custom wiring to work.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
81VrRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

So i know the beetle tdi is drive by wire so what will i need to use the ecu from the 2.0 for? plan on using the basic as wires for the gti turn signals etc? theyre both full cars but as of right now the GTI engine is trash and the bugs body is giving me cancer.

Thanks for the reply.
81VrRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

Starting to think dropping my 99 Vr6 2.8 would be the way to go its already in my 81 Rabbit and cut down to stand alone
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

Since the MK5 uses canbus, it needs to think that an engine is in it and running for things like electric power steering, abs, etc to work. It's not just as simple as as defeating the immo on the ecu and go.

On the TDI Tiguan, which is basically the same swap, it required piggybacking the TDI ecu onto the key swiched side of the 2.0 ecu, then using the 2.0 crank sensor on the TDI to trick the car int thinking it still had a 2.0 in it and running. It also used the TDI throttle pedal with a custom bracket to fit.

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
81VrRabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 TDI in 2007 GTI Reply with quote

Thank you tons, Something i will be looking into ill post pics when i start getting into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: